CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: NWR: I just read/am reading....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 7/26/2018 6:34:44 AM   
wineismylife

Never heard of it until you just mentioned it. I just put it on my To-Read list on Goodreads.com. I'll get to it eventually.

Joe

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ http://www.wineismylife.net/

(in reply to Paul852)
Post #: 331
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 7/27/2018 4:47:49 PM   
Slye

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul852

I'm quite surprised to find no mention of Corkscrew by Peter Stafford-Bow anywhere here. It is wine-related, and extremely funny (it's also based in the UK, and I guess it would help to have some knowledge of the UK and its wine & retail scene). The concept of the Minstrels of Wine is brilliant.

Well this makes being a member of this board worth it on its own. What a great read so far (I am maybe a third of the way in and loving it). Now I face the dilemma of should I hurry to finish it only to not have it to read anymore, or ration it out for a few days. The writing is engaging, and quick reading, with some wonderful plot lines. Thanks Paul852!

EDIT: I turned to this after getting a bit bored with PG Wodehouse. I will return to the latter, but I am finding it is a bit dated in parts. But I recall there are some real gems, and I look forward to coming across them again.

< Message edited by Slye -- 7/27/2018 4:48:58 PM >

(in reply to Paul852)
Post #: 332
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 7/28/2018 9:59:06 AM   
Wine_Strategies

Hitch 22, A memoir just arrived, already digging in, with glee.

Tim

https://ItalianWine.Smugmug.com

https://www.italianwine.blog

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 333
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 7/28/2018 1:22:07 PM   
PinotPhile

The Quick and the Dead by Joy Williams. Was recommended in some magazine I had been scanning. A slow start, quirky, but entertaining in its own way.

(in reply to Wine_Strategies)
Post #: 334
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 8/3/2018 11:55:19 AM   
wineismylife

“Red Notice: A True Story of High Finance, Murder, and One Man’s Fight for Justice” by Bill Browder. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Being a trained accountant and a lifelong investor this true story really hit the mark with me. It reads like a suspense novel throughout yet is a true life account that led to the eventual passage of the Magnitsky Act. If you’re into politics and in particular keeping up with current U.S.-Russian politics this is a must read for background information related to recent events (aka Trump Tower Meeting). Quick and easy read. Recommended.

Joe

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 335
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 8/3/2018 3:33:10 PM   
PinotPhile

Trunk Music by Michael Connolly. A favorite author. I may have read it before, but so long ago that a second time around is enjoyable. Hard to put down.

(in reply to wineismylife)
Post #: 336
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 8/3/2018 5:16:31 PM   
wdcwineguys

Grant by Ron Chernow
Great so far. Interesting history lesson.

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 337
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 8/7/2018 11:48:27 AM   
mc2 wines

Jim Henson: The Biography by Brian Jay Jones.

Perhaps because I was a kid when he came out with a lot of his stuff I didn't realize how focused on being an adult entertainer he was.

Friends don't let friends wine alone

(in reply to wdcwineguys)
Post #: 338
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 8/7/2018 3:38:19 PM   
PinotPhile

No cure for the dead by Christine Trent, 2018.

Rather interesting; decent read. She puts good old Flo Nightingale as the protagonist. Begun last night.

(in reply to Stirling)
Post #: 339
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 8/11/2018 7:52:18 AM   
wineismylife

“Fourth Uncle in the Mountain: A Memoir of a Barefoot Doctor in Vietnam” by Marjorie Pivar & Quang Van Nguyen. Interesting book. Somebody online in a thread on one of the forum I frequent recommended this book so I tossed it on my to-read shelf on a whim. This book is completely outside my normal reading zone. Vietnam culture from French Colonial times to roughly a decade after the end of the Vietnam War. All from the viewpoint of citizens, mostly traditional Vietnamese doctors, monks and spiritual people. Traditional Chinese medicine, meditation towards enlightenment, a real mixed bag. I found it refreshing and a quick way to reset myself from my normal reading themes. I enjoyed it.

Joe

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 340
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 8/11/2018 1:17:17 PM   
PinotPhile

Love and Ruin by Paula McClain. In first person from the perspective of one of Hemingway's series of women. Nicely done. May read a few more of hers.

Post #: 341
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 8/14/2018 7:44:07 AM   
hankj

I've been reading so much this summer. Finished The Zulus at War: The History, Rise, and Fall of the Tribe That Washed Its Spears. New revisionist history of the Zulu Nation, weirdly ordered by themes not time, way too many names and events quickly streamed, writer has a problem with vague pronoun references in baroque sentences. Upside is tons of detail, and boy oh boy was Shaka Zulu a ruthless maniac. The world brutally kicked him around as a child; he paid it back in spades. They say he's the African Napoleon, but he's at least 50 percent Stalin with a penchant for horrific torture. His troops would return from a dominant victory wherein they summarily slaughtered every man, woman and child of the opposition, and Shaka would have his least fierce 5 percent slowly impaled alive for all to see. Brilliant tactician and wild psychopath.

So tough sledding of a read but glad I know a lot about South African history and the Zulus now.

Incidentally this brilliant (and NSFW) Epic Rap Battle of History got me interested - I realized I knew a lot about Caesar but nothing at all about Shaka.

< Message edited by hankj -- 8/14/2018 7:47:56 AM >

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to Stirling)
Post #: 342
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 8/14/2018 10:17:18 AM   
wineismylife

“The Left Hand of Darkness” by Ursula K. Le Guin. Ever since she passed recently I wanted to read one of her books. I finally got around to reading “The Left Hand of Darkness”. It was interesting. Although it took me a bit to get into it I enjoyed it.

Joe

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 343
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 8/14/2018 4:47:24 PM   
hankj

quote:

ORIGINAL: wineismylife

“The Left Hand of Darkness” by Ursula K. Le Guin. Ever since she passed recently I wanted to read one of her books. I finally got around to reading “The Left Hand of Darkness”. It was interesting. Although it took me a bit to get into it I enjoyed it.

She's a smart one, nice job sticking it out

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

Post #: 344
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 8/15/2018 3:46:07 PM   
atlantean

quote:

ORIGINAL: Slye

quote:

I'm quite surprised to find no mention of Corkscrew by Peter Stafford-Bow anywhere here. It is wine-related, and extremely funny (it's also based in the UK, and I guess it would help to have some knowledge of the UK and its wine & retail scene). The concept of the Minstrels of Wine is brilliant.

Well this makes being a member of this board worth it on its own. What a great read so far (I am maybe a third of the way in and loving it). Now I face the dilemma of should I hurry to finish it only to not have it to read anymore, or ration it out for a few days. The writing is engaging, and quick reading, with some wonderful plot lines. Thanks Paul852!

EDIT: I turned to this after getting a bit bored with PG Wodehouse. I will return to the latter, but I am finding it is a bit dated in parts. But I recall there are some real gems, and I look forward to coming across them again.

Indeed this is a good beach read. A bit cheeky and slightly chauvinistic - just the old bubble gum John McDonalds. Great writing and escapism for an august book.

thanks for the recommendation

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 345
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 8/16/2018 6:42:02 AM   
wineismylife

Unfortunately it is not part of my library system. Means I'd have to pay full tariff at retail to read it.

Joe

(in reply to atlantean)
Post #: 346
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 8/16/2018 9:01:37 AM   
Paul852

quote:

Unfortunately it is not part of my library system. Means I'd have to pay full tariff at retail to read it.
Which is all of US$5.99 on a Kindle or ("Like new") paper copies on Amazon for $4.95. Is that a lot? The price of one glass of decent wine?

Post #: 347
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 8/16/2018 10:06:27 AM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

Is that a lot?

I knew a woman who used to constantly say things like "it's only a few dollars" and "it doesn't cost that much" about all the frivolous expenditures she had. Funny thing is, she was ALWAYS complaining she had no extra money. We sat down one day and calculated her monthly expenditures (she kept receipts .... well, she kept everything like a pack rat) and she was shocked at how much money she wasted on stupid items. It was literally HUNDREDS of dollars a month for silly items she'd use once or twice and then toss in the closet, basement, junk drawer, or attic. There were packages coming from Amazon, Zulily, and several other online retailers almost every day. Once she saw it was a waste of a few hundred bucks each month, she stopped the madness. Obviously, it changed her outlook on how she spent any money she had left over after paying the necessities.

The trip to Goodwill along with the eBay listing bonanza is another story.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to Paul852)
Post #: 348
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 8/16/2018 11:20:08 AM   
wineismylife

quote:

quote:

Which is all of US$5.99 on a Kindle or ("Like new") paper copies on Amazon for $4.95. Is that a lot? The price of one glass of decent wine?

No, it is not a lot. I just prefer to utilize my local library services as much as humanly possible.

Joe

(in reply to Paul852)
Post #: 349
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 8/29/2018 8:24:34 AM   
wineismylife

"Educated" by Tara Westover. Interesting book. Outside my normal wheelhouse. Good read.

Joe

Post #: 350
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 8/29/2018 8:26:49 AM   
PinotPhile

Just finished Less by Andrew Sean Greer. Pulitzer winner, not bad, gets better after first few chapters.

Now reading After Anna by Lisa Scottoline. One of my go-to authors. Suspense/thriller, so not suitable for bedtime. But seems well-written.

Post #: 351
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 8/29/2018 9:42:41 AM   
jmcmchi

An article cited on several sites including Newsweek, mainly European

Study finds having less than three weeks holiday a year can shorten your life
Don't think having an otherwise healthy lifestyle will compensate for working too hard and not taking holidays, say researchers.

https://news.sky.com/story/study-finds-having-less-than-three-weeks-holiday-a-year-can-shorten-your-life-11484812

Interesting in light of comments on another thread in the last day or so

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 352
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 9/4/2018 3:04:31 PM   
recotte

I have not yet read (as it isn't released yet), and it IS wine related (so maybe this isn't really the best place to be posting, but what the heck?), but Paul Zitarelli, aka Damn Paul, is releasing a book, 36 Bottles of Wine. I've pre-ordered it and will be interested to give it a read once it comes out. Should be engaging if the prose is even half as good as what is in the daily mailers.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 353
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 9/5/2018 11:13:27 AM   
wineismylife

“Cosmos” by Carl Sagan. I’ve always meant to read this book since it was released but I never got around to it. Finally made time recently to read it. I enjoyed it although it is a bit dated at this point and covers material that has been explored in much more detail since by other scientists. Still an interesting read taking a step back in time so to speak.

Joe

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 354
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 9/5/2018 4:23:13 PM   
hankj

quote:

"Educated" by Tara Westover. Interesting book. Outside my normal wheelhouse. Good read.

I read this one last month, very good book, pretty svary how much power bad parents have over their kids! I actually found it harrowing and had to sometimes stop to get a breath

Post #: 355
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 9/10/2018 7:44:01 AM   
wineismylife

“The Restless Wave: Good Times, Just Causes, Great Fights and Other Appreciations” by John McCain & Mark Salter. I enjoyed the book. Mostly a rehash of stuff that has been covered over the years or summation of recent political events as well as his personal health towards the end as he struggled with cancer. Timely, fitting tribute to read about a man that served a higher purpose than himself.

Joe

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 356
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 9/10/2018 9:29:40 AM   
PinotPhile

Two of the deadliest : new tales of lust, greed, and murder from outstanding women of mystery. Compiled by Elizabeth George, a favorite author. Around 2009-2011. Collection of short stories featuring at least one of those two of the seven deadly sins.

Reading more short stories lately. This is a good collection, but one of those gripping types of books that means reading right before bedtime not a good plan.

Will get a lighter read for next book. Alternating is good.

Post #: 357
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 9/11/2018 3:53:31 AM   
Yossarian

quote:

“Red Notice: A True Story of High Finance, Murder, and One Man’s Fight for Justice” by Bill Browder. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Being a trained accountant and a lifelong investor this true story really hit the mark with me. It reads like a suspense novel throughout yet is a true life account that led to the eventual passage of the Magnitsky Act. If you’re into politics and in particular keeping up with current U.S.-Russian politics this is a must read for background information related to recent events (aka Trump Tower Meeting). Quick and easy read. Recommended.

Just finished this myself. What a read. Dont **** with the Russians is the moto!

Also, I highly recommend this for you guys on your side of the pond.

The Unwinding...by George Packer.

And I quote "The Unwinding is the right title for George Packer's epic, sad and unsettling history of the last four decades in the US. His topic is the coming apart of something in the national fabric: the unravelling of unspoken agreements about the limits to Wall Street's greed; about what a congressman would or wouldn't do for the right price; about what a company owes its workers, or what the wealthy should contribute in tax"

Incredibly well written and stitches together a narrative of interlinked, complex issues that resonate not just in the US, but on this side of the pond too.

New April 2021 Mix Here

Post #: 358
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 9/17/2018 7:35:13 AM   
wineismylife

“An American Marriage” by Tayari Jones. I enjoyed the book. A bit depressing and maddening in places due solely to the content but a well constructed novel that is a quick and easy read.

Joe

(in reply to Yossarian)
Post #: 359
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 9/19/2018 7:18:49 AM   
PinotPhile

Like family : growing up in other people's houses : a memoir
by Paula McLain. This is in progress. A good read for anyone interested in or connected to the foster care system.

BTW also read An American Marriage. +1 on the above impression.

Bibliophile Cheers!

PP

Post #: 360
Page:   <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI