CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: NWR: I just read/am reading....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 3/14/2018 9:08:39 AM   
wineismylife

Today I finished reading “Helmet For My Pillow” by Robert Leckie. I enjoyed this book. If you are a fan of WWII history, particularly first person and focused on the Pacific campaign this is a good book for you to read. Previously having read “The Old Breed” by E.B. Sledge these two books are an excellent companion set in my opinion. I’d start with this book then follow with “The Old Breed” although I did them in reverse. Recommended.

Joe

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ http://www.wineismylife.net/

(in reply to wineismylife)
Post #: 271
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 3/14/2018 4:36:04 PM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: wineismylife

Today I finished reading “Helmet For My Pillow” by Robert Leckie. I enjoyed this book. If you are a fan of WWII history, particularly first person and focused on the Pacific campaign this is a good book for you to read. Previously having read “The Old Breed” by E.B. Sledge these two books are an excellent companion set in my opinion. I’d start with this book then follow with “The Old Breed” although I did them in reverse. Recommended.

Good to know, thanks.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

Post #: 272
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 3/18/2018 12:25:50 PM   
wineismylife

Today I finished reading “Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis” by J.D. Vance. I didn’t think I’d like this book judging it by it’s cover so to speak but I did enjoy it. Growing up white and as the middle son of divorced parents I easily identified with many of the same struggles: class warfare, sometimes poor to non-existent employment opportunities, struggling to go to college and be one of the first in the family, upward social mobility and acceptance, etc… Although I’ll freely admit I never experienced the colorfulness of some of his family exchanges I too nonetheless had my family moments growing up in Dallas,Texas in the 60s and 70s. If you’re looking for a book mixed with raw humor, stark reality, emotional roller coasters and a singular goal of obtaining the American dream then this is the book for you. Easy and quick read and recommended on that basis.

Joe

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 273
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 3/23/2018 10:58:23 AM   
PinotPhile

Leonardo da Vinci by Walter Isaacson.

500+ page bio in progress. He has written several but this is my first read. Very solid author, good style, not so many ivory tower words that I have to sit there w/a dictionary. One of those books I just think I'll page through then end up attempting to read in its entirety before it's due back. I have 3 weeks.

Bibliophile Cheers!

Post #: 274
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 3/23/2018 1:44:11 PM   
Yossarian

Technical French manuals for my French exams. They suck.

New April 2021 Mix Here

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 275
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 3/29/2018 1:35:37 PM   
wineismylife

Just finished "The Goldfinch" by Donna Tartt. Although this was a very well written book with a good plot I found it difficult to read. There were what I would call long winded sections that seemed to drone on forever. Most of those were drug hazed,dream like sequences experienced by the main character. I found myself chewing up whole sections full of excitement and suspense to depressingly find myself in yet another droning section that did nothing more than stretch my ability to maintain focus. Disappointing having wanted to read this for some time and being just a bit let down in the end.

Joe

(in reply to Yossarian)
Post #: 276
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 3/29/2018 1:39:38 PM   
Hollowine

quote:

Today I finished reading my sixth book of 2018. “The Siege of Mecca: The Forgotten Uprising in Islam’s Holiest Shrine and the Birth of al-Qaeda” by Yaroslav Trofimov. Although I had a good basic understanding of most of the history that serves as the story line of this book it was nice to have a simple, easy to read refresher text that also managed to fill in a few details I didn’t recall. A quick and easy read if you’d like to get a handle on some of the history that eventually led to the birth of al-Qaeda, This book is recommended.

Thanks to Hollowine for recommending this book to me.

Sorry I missed your note. Glad you enjoyed the read. I've referenced it several times in conversations as I work with several people from various Middle East countries on my current project.

Post #: 277
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 3/29/2018 2:06:10 PM   
Eddie

I just read two outstanding books (so good I sped through the two books in three days): the first was The Last Free Man in America, the autobiography of Gatewood Galbraith; the second, Fourth Uncle in the Mountain, an autobiography of Quang van Nguyen, a Vietnamese "barefoot doctor" and traditional healer (the book is a lot like Yogananda's Autobiography of a Yogi). I recommend both highly, they are real page-turners.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 278
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 4/4/2018 12:00:58 PM   
PinotPhile

Last night, I finished plowing through:
World Atlas of Wine, 2007, 6th Edition
This was a gift from DH and there is a more current tome, but much has not changed and it is a great source for detailed maps.

It was a quest. It is done. On to the next vino book!

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 279
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 4/4/2018 2:24:48 PM   
Slye

quote:

Just finished "The Goldfinch" by Donna Tartt. Although this was a very well written book with a good plot I found it difficult to read. There were what I would call long winded sections that seemed to drone on forever. Most of those were drug hazed,dream like sequences experienced by the main character. I found myself chewing up whole sections full of excitement and suspense to depressingly find myself in yet another droning section that did nothing more than stretch my ability to maintain focus. Disappointing having wanted to read this for some time and being just a bit let down in the end.

Given your response I feel comfortable adding here that this was one of the few books that I affirmatively say people should NOT read. As you noted there were some nice parts, and it certainly had some promise, but it never came together and was quite disappointing.

I recently read Red Sparrow, which I liked alot. I also read the second in the series (I can't remember the name), and it was also good (though perhaps not quite as good as the first). The third book -- I had to stop reading. It was so poorly written compared to the others, that I found myself a chapter or two in saying, you know, I don't need to finish this. I am not enjoying it, and life is short. Now since I did not finish it (or get beyond the first 3-4 chapters I think, I could be wrong about where it goes. So take my view on the third one with a bit of a grain of salt......

Post #: 280
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 4/14/2018 1:44:45 PM   
wineismylife

“Rise and Kill First: The Inside Story and Secret Operations of Israel’s Assassination Program” by Ronen Bergman. Fascinating subject: Covert Operations & Targeted Assassinations. I’ve always been interested in this subject since I first heard about Mossad and IDF several years ago. This book is chocked full of details about the program and specific events going back to the formation of the Israeli state in 1948. Truly a comprehensive work on the subject my only caution is the expansive details do run on after a while and the reader becomes almost numb toward the end of the book. Well written and if you’re interested in covert operations, assassinations and the like this is a priority read for you. Recommended.

Joe

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 281
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 4/14/2018 8:29:11 PM   
PinotPhile

Y is for Yesterday by the late Sue Grafton. She began this formula series A is for Alibi, etc. Do not know if she made it to Z or if the estate will have someone sorta ghost-write now. Robert B Parker's heirs have some ghost writers who carry on his characters and do a decent job.

Suspense, not too terribly intense, but not suitable for me to read later in the evening. That's for low-key stuff.

Post #: 282
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 4/16/2018 9:11:26 AM   
wineismylife

I did not know she had passed.

Joe

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 283
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 4/16/2018 9:53:20 AM   
PinotPhile

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/29/obituaries/sue-grafton-dies-best-selling-mystery-author.html

Post #: 284
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 5/2/2018 12:13:39 PM   
wineismylife

“No Turning Back: Life, Loss, and Hope in Wartime Syria” by Rania Abouzeid. Interesting book. The author follows several every day Syrians over about a six year period. Average citizens that mostly wanted to just live a safe and secure life and earn a living instead upended by the multi faction war being raged around them. Hard not to be impacted if read openly and honestly with empathy. If you want to learn more about the Syrian Civil War as related by those most impacted by it’s events this would be a good read for you. Recommended.

Joe

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 285
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 5/2/2018 4:37:33 PM   
khmark7

quote:

“No Turning Back: Life, Loss, and Hope in Wartime Syria” by Rania Abouzeid. Interesting book. The author follows several every day Syrians over about a six year period. Average citizens that mostly wanted to just live a safe and secure life and earn a living instead upended by the multi faction war being raged around them. Hard not to be impacted if read openly and honestly with empathy. If you want to learn more about the Syrian Civil War as related by those most impacted by it’s events this would be a good read for you. Recommended.

Thanks, i will seek this out.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

Post #: 286
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 5/3/2018 3:57:31 PM   
wadcorp

quote:

A college buddy, is Syrian. I've known him since 1974, and we lived together for a couple years in Houston.

Granted, he's far removed from Syria. For a long, long time. But he's totally at a loss as to what is going on over there.

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

Post #: 287
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 5/9/2018 6:49:10 AM   
wineismylife

“Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI” by David Grann. I really liked this book. Real life who done it kind of a book. Covers regional topics I’m interested in such as Native Americans, the Osage people and their lands surrounding Pawhuska, OK. A quick and easy read. Different than a lot of stuff I’ve been reading lately. Recommended.

Joe

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 288
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 5/9/2018 1:26:46 PM   
ckinv368

Finished "Empty Mansions" (book on reclusive heiress Huguette Clark), and am now reading Oz Clark's book on Bordeaux. Both very good!

After the two bottles of claret, we had three bottles of Krug . . . one for love, one for country, and one for symmetry. -- A.J. Liebling

When in doubt, sip your dessert.

Post #: 289
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 5/9/2018 8:14:42 PM   
PinotPhile

Something Rich and Strange by Ron Rash. A collection of short stories. Mostly gloomy, but very well written with a shred of hope.

I find the occasional collection of short stories to be a nice break from a long novel or long non-fiction.

Bibliophile Cheers!

(in reply to ckinv368)
Post #: 290
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 5/19/2018 1:59:54 PM   
wineismylife

“The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet” by David Mitchell. Interesting book. Set in forbidden Japan at the turn of the 18th century historical fiction piece about power, corruption and forbidden love. Slow to start put gripping finish make this a fairly easy read.

Joe

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 291
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 5/19/2018 2:25:21 PM   
Slye

I am reading Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff (not to be confused with Fate and Fury of the The Grey Wolves Series). It is the same story told twice from two different perspectives (a male and female in a relationship). So far very well written and engaging.

I also just bought the first two in the series by Volker Kutscher on which the Netflix series Babylon Berlin is based. The latter is fantastic -- originally in German, so you have to either have it dubbed (which is disorienting) or watch with subtitles (which I did). It is an excellent series about a detective in Berlin between the two wars, touching on the rise of Nazism and the activism of the Communist Party, and the inter relationship between those two destablizing factors in Weimar Berlin. I am excited to read the books -- usually I prefer to read books before watching the movie or TV series, but it was the TV series that first caught my attention.

Post #: 292
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 5/19/2018 4:26:57 PM   
WineGuyCO

I have Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose sitting on my nightstand that I want to read but have lots going on right now with our house sale. Having just been to Northern Idaho and NW Montana I really want to read this. Maybe next week when my kids go back home.

Rick

(in reply to Stirling)
Post #: 293
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 5/20/2018 8:06:21 AM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Slye

I am reading Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff (not to be confused with Fate and Fury of the The Grey Wolves Series). It is the same story told twice from two different perspectives (a male and female in a relationship). So far very well written and engaging.

I read this as well, pretty good fiction.

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 294
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 5/20/2018 8:14:38 AM   
Hollowine

Re-reading my new favorite book, "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck" by Mark Manson.

The title is meant to catch your attention, and the F bomb is copiously used throughout, but if you can put those two aside there are some great bits of advice in here. Simple premise, you have only so many F's to give in life, so make them count or you will drive yourself and everyone else nuts. There are several people in my family and work worlds I want to buy this book for and tell them "Chill. Go read this."

May not strike the same chord for each of you, but I loved the approach and the message.

Post #: 295
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 5/20/2018 11:01:00 AM   
PinotPhile

The Disappeared by CJ Box. Part of a series featuring a game warden based in WY. Enjoy books in any park-type setting. This is his latest and will take me no more than 4 days. One that's hard to put down for this mystery buff.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 296
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 5/23/2018 12:12:23 PM   
Wine_Strategies

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hollowine

Re-reading my new favorite book, "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck" by Mark Manson.

The title is meant to catch your attention, and the F bomb is copiously used throughout, but if you can put those two aside there are some great bits of advice in here. Simple premise, you have only so many F's to give in life, so make them count or you will drive yourself and everyone else nuts. There are several people in my family and work worlds I want to buy this book for and tell them "Chill. Go read this."

May not strike the same chord for each of you, but I loved the approach and the message.

Agreed, solid read and a book that 'stays with you', in the best of ways, of course.

Tim

https://ItalianWine.Smugmug.com

https://www.italianwine.blog

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 297
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 5/23/2018 12:41:52 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hollowine

I like Mark Manson. He's the author of one of my favorite articles:

https://markmanson.net/internet

However, not giving a f*ck is a sure way to end up in the unemployment line.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 298
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 5/25/2018 1:09:56 PM   
PinotPhile

Look Homeward Angel.

By Thomas Wolfe, written in 1929. Library copy was acquired 1984. 600+ pages. He is supposed to be a great writer, so I'll find out if I agree. I wasn't around when it was written.

Finished the book today. Maybe the strangest book I've ever read. Slogged through it, but neither enjoyable nor recommended. JMHO.

< Message edited by PinotPhile -- 6/1/2018 8:01:44 PM >

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 299
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 6/6/2018 2:38:53 PM   
wineismylife

“The Great Alone” by Kristin Hannah. I liked this book. I found the subject matter on homesteading in Alaska an interesting read. Well constructed and written. I didn’t enjoy it quite as much as “The Nightingale” but still devoured it in about a week.

Joe

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI