CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 4/17/2009 11:37:02 AM   
ob2s

quote:

ORIGINAL: knarf

At the risk of getting blasted....I like the idea of "Smoking deals..." Also like the idea of possibly splitting US/UK or other areas that make sense. I wonder if we should define "smoking deal." For example would 10% off really qualify as a smoking deal?

to me it has to one of the lowest prices on wine-searcher and free shipping at a minimum, or at least 33% or more off with regular shipping, in order to show any smoke.

(in reply to knarf)
Post #: 61
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 4/17/2009 6:59:16 PM   
vinopkm

I guess 10% is not a smoking deal and I should of put it on the OC Wine page.  They do have a good selection of harder to find wines- if low quantities they don't post on the web site- ie Sine Qua Non and other cult wines- all at cult pricing!

For Zin lovers this is a decent deal- Scott Harvey Zin pack.  I'm a ZAP member and received this postcard in the mail today for 3 of his Zins for $79 - tax and shipping included.  Normal price would be $95 then tax and shipping.

the link if you are interested-
www.scottharveywines.com/zap

Scott Harvey owns the fruit rights for the oldest Zin grapes in the US- vines from 1869!  I missed tasting him at this years ZAP- but have had his wine in the past and was happy. 

(in reply to ob2s)
Post #: 62
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 4/17/2009 9:03:20 PM   
duck833

Woot has a three pack of Scott Harvey wines for $47.99 right now.  Not a bad deal.

http://wine.woot.com/Default.aspx

Go Ducks!!! - I love my thugs

(in reply to vinopkm)
Post #: 63
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 4/22/2009 12:08:53 PM   
vinopkm

50% off this wine.  Avg. CT price is $108- $79.95.  Hi Time Wine.  Seems like a good deal.

1998 CUVEE WILLIAM DEUTZ
The Wine Advocate 93 Points - “The 1998 Cuvee William Deutz flows from the glass with compelling layers of flowers, apricots, succulent pears, minerals and smoke. This Champagne offers a gorgeous combination of mineral-driven freshness with a richly-textured core of fruit. The Cuvee William Deutz should continue to drink beautifully for at least another decade. For the William Deutz the estate uses a blend of 55% Pinot Noir, 35% Chardonnay and 10% Pinot Meunier. Anticipated maturity: 2008-2018.” 
Sale $79.95 normally $159.99  750ml [325506]  Click here to purchase

(in reply to duck833)
Post #: 64
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 4/22/2009 12:20:09 PM   
grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: vinopkm

50% off this wine.  Avg. CT price is $108- $79.95.  Hi Time Wine.  Seems like a good deal.

1998 CUVEE WILLIAM DEUTZ
The Wine Advocate 93 Points - “The 1998 Cuvee William Deutz flows from the glass with compelling layers of flowers, apricots, succulent pears, minerals and smoke. This Champagne offers a gorgeous combination of mineral-driven freshness with a richly-textured core of fruit. The Cuvee William Deutz should continue to drink beautifully for at least another decade. For the William Deutz the estate uses a blend of 55% Pinot Noir, 35% Chardonnay and 10% Pinot Meunier. Anticipated maturity: 2008-2018.” 
Sale $79.95 normally $159.99  750ml [325506]  Click here to purchase

Poppy and Aaron, who will be attending OCP4W II, prefer to drink Champagne.  I'm sure they would love to share their wealth of information with you at the event if you are in the mood to talk them up.

As far as the Deutz goes ... I don't drink much champagne ... i know nothing.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to vinopkm)
Post #: 65
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 4/22/2009 12:21:35 PM   
pault

For those that check out wine woot.. the states they can ship to can change with every wine deal they have. The restriction ia based upon the winery it comes from. I cant get the harvey wine , but I was able to order a couple of weeks ago. So it still pays to check their 'ship to' states as they can differ.

member #55326 , cellar ID=grngnt

(in reply to vinopkm)
Post #: 66
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 4/23/2009 6:10:48 AM   
GalvezGuy

A lot of folks are offering 2005 La Vielle Cure (93 RP for any that cares about that) for less than $25 including Wine Connection and JJ Buckley.

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

(in reply to pault)
Post #: 67
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 4/30/2009 8:26:07 AM   
hankj

NAPACABS.COM has BV Georges de Latour for $49.95, plus 10% off 3:

3 Beaulieu Vineyards 2005 Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley Georges De Latour (BV)
$149.85

DISCOUNT
Save 10% on 3
-$14.98

SHIPPING
FedEx Ground
$13.30

TOTAL $148.17

currently this bottle is 80 bucks at costco, so 88 w/ tax in Seattle.  Also available online from Ludwig's Liquor & Smoke for the same price, no discount on 3 ("Ludwig's" sounds cheesy but is completely legit in an ultra high-rent zone of southern Marin county).

The professional reviewers see this vintage as a return to form, and the most recent cellartracker review indicates it is in a dumb phase, though the reviewer didn't know it.

Mild weather will rule the west coast for a week, hence I chose ground shipping.  Otherwise beware -- Chino (napacab.com's location) is typically hot.

< Message edited by hankj -- 4/30/2009 8:53:09 AM >

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 68
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 4/30/2009 9:05:18 AM   
ytsai

This probably doesn't qualify as a smoking deal but costco.com has 2005 Yquem 375ml for $325...

(in reply to ob2s)
Post #: 69
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 4/30/2009 9:21:06 AM   
GalvezGuy

BTW...I picked this up for $29.99 per a couple of weeks ago from Echelon wines. Always use Wine Searcher to find out prices when you get a mailer deal. There is often a better deal.

quote:

ORIGINAL: hankj

$149.85

DISCOUNT
Save 10% on 3
-$14.98

SHIPPING
FedEx Ground
$13.30

TOTAL $148.17

currently this bottle is 80 bucks at costco, so 88 w/ tax in Seattle.  Also available online from Ludwig's Liquor & Smoke for the same price, no discount on 3 ("Ludwig's" sounds cheesy but is completely legit in an ultra high-rent zone of southern Marin county).

The professional reviewers see this vintage as a return to form, and the most recent cellartracker review indicates it is in a dumb phase, though the reviewer didn't know it.

Mild weather will rule the west coast for a week, hence I chose ground shipping.  Otherwise beware -- Chino (napacab.com's location) is typically hot.

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 70
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 4/30/2009 10:03:06 AM   
hankj

that is incredibly cheap!  no longer available of course.  Was this through the newsletter or the online store?

45 bucks per is still a very good price -- best deal on wine-searcher too -- but now I'm not as happy w/ it.  A modern day Parable of the Vineyards!

quote:

ORIGINAL: GalvezGuy

BTW...I picked this up for $29.99 per a couple of weeks ago from Echelon wines. Always use Wine Searcher to find out prices when you get a mailer deal. There is often a better deal.

quote:

$149.85

DISCOUNT
Save 10% on 3
-$14.98

SHIPPING
FedEx Ground
$13.30

TOTAL $148.17

< Message edited by hankj -- 4/30/2009 10:08:55 AM >

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 71
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 4/30/2009 2:27:42 PM   
SLIMES

Waitrose champagne is on offer at £15.19 in the UK.

I'm drinking it as I write and it's pretty, no very, good. It's made by Piper and Charles Heidsieck. I'm enjoying this much more than Moet for example. This offer finishes on the twelth I believe.

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 72
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 4/30/2009 6:34:59 PM   
GalvezGuy

That was through the newsletter. I didn't think it would last at that price. I am sitting on it for at least 4-5 years before I pop one.

quote:

that is incredibly cheap!  no longer available of course.  Was this through the newsletter or the online store?

45 bucks per is still a very good price -- best deal on wine-searcher too -- but now I'm not as happy w/ it.  A modern day Parable of the Vineyards!

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 73
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 5/2/2009 8:57:35 AM   
hankj

Might 2005 Col Solare at Costco for $52.50 qualify?  Note that this is NOT the "Shining Hill" 2nd level bottle they started producing recently, and a better deal than anything on wine searcher when shipping is taken into account.

okay this one is marginal but I want to keep this thread alive!

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 74
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 5/2/2009 1:45:01 PM   
Hollowine

Saw that one at Costco too.

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 75
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 5/4/2009 11:31:30 AM   
wadcorp

quote:

ORIGINAL: ytsai

This probably doesn't qualify as a smoking deal but costco.com has 2005 Yquem 375ml for $325...

Hmm… A small, boutique wine shop about a mile from me has it for $225.

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to ytsai)
Post #: 76
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 5/4/2009 2:06:54 PM   
rjonas

I don't know if this fits into the "Smoking Deals" category but I was amazed a couple weeks ago at the selection of very hard to find (usually) wines at Esquin in Seattle...

Apparently, there have been a number of folks unable to buy their allocations and so Esquin has been picking up CASES of DeLille, Leonetti and even some older Quilceda Creeks... Fantastic selection.... Really wish the wallet was a little deeper these days!

I'm not as think as you drunk I am!

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 77
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 5/4/2009 6:53:35 PM   
khmark7

Binnys in the Chicagoland area has some nice deals on French wines this month. I picked up some 2006 CdP and Bordeaux. The best deals were taken by the employees the day before the sale started...so I missed out on the Conduleut de Beaucastel 2005 for $13.

Notable buys:
2004 Malartic Lagraviere for $20
2006 La Tour Carnet $30

(in reply to rjonas)
Post #: 78
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 5/4/2009 9:05:52 PM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: rjonas

I don't know if this fits into the "Smoking Deals" category but I was amazed a couple weeks ago at the selection of very hard to find (usually) wines at Esquin in Seattle...

Apparently, there have been a number of folks unable to buy their allocations and so Esquin has been picking up CASES of DeLille, Leonetti and even some older Quilceda Creeks... Fantastic selection.... Really wish the wallet was a little deeper these days!

Do you have to go up there to find those deals Ron? I'd heard about Esquin, but wasn't real impressed with the website selection, maybe I just didn't look around long enough.

(in reply to rjonas)
Post #: 79
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 5/4/2009 10:46:08 PM   
rjonas

I would say yes... I've never liked their website so much.. The store is easy for me to get to and they have really fun Saturday afternoon and Thursday evening free tastings.  They've just opened up an annex in the back for some very reasonably priced "daily drinker" type wines, as well as a "collectibles" section.. This is where I recently found about a case and a half of '93 Quilceda Creek Cab and about a half a case of '03 Cayuse.. I forget the designation of the Cayuse (it was ~$90/bottle) but the sheer quantity of these (as well as the CASES of Leonetti and DeLille) that were near the front counter, was almost enough to make me swoon... 

That was a really fun Saturday...

The other thing that is great about Esquin is everyone that works there is REALLY into wine and very helpful.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 80
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 5/5/2009 4:46:33 AM   
Hollowine

That's what I figured. I saw them when I've been up in Seattle and picked up some of my orders at Garagiste. If you haven't been over to Garagiste you should check them out, they have a very small selection of retail offerings, but some nice gems that often aren't on their offerings list. They are only a few blocks behind Esquin.

(in reply to rjonas)
Post #: 81
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 5/5/2009 9:53:21 AM   
rjonas

Yep, been to Garagiste as well.. That's an odd little place... Often very good deals though...

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 82
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 5/7/2009 2:25:23 PM   
SLIMES

I don't have the full details so I'm not sure whether I should post this here.

I asked while in the store and they seemed a bit vague about it. They claimed that the offers only apply in west mids stores but i wouldn't be surprised if there were similar reductions nation wide. It was further complicated by the fact that some items were being delisted for that store. But anyway in Sainsbury's Selly Oak I found:

Taittinger NV £16
Moet 1/2s  <£9
Piper Heidsieck NV £12.35
Heidsieck and co. Monnopole £11.99

Not bad prices if you ask me. I'm sorry I can't be more specific about other stores but if you want to stock up for Summer it might be worth a look.

(in reply to rjonas)
Post #: 83
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 5/11/2009 11:35:14 AM   
arcprise

Got this email and have ordered from them in the past.  CT shows some nice reviews on the P2 wines....

Due to a family emergency, Mike Padrick of P2 wines has closed down and is moving back home to cars for his ailing father. His choice to postpone his dream of winemaking to care for his father shows where his priorities lie and I send all my best to both him and his father during this time.
Due to this tragic turn of events, his inventory of 2007 PN's is being liquidated by Wades Wines. Hope to see him back in the business someday soon as he is a nice guy and was well on his way in the business. Dana and I were able to meet and t5aste with him at LWC during a holiday open house, and these wines quite nice.

50% off P2 Pinots!

We need to liquidate these high scoring 2007 Pinots, made by expert Pinot Maker Brian Loring immediately!

Mike Padrick, Owner of P2 Wines has been forced to close suddenly, in order to support his family, due to his father's deteriorating health from Parkinson's disease.

2007 P2 Brosseau Vineyard Chalone Pinot Noir
$44... Sale $19.99
93 points Pinot Report: Medium-deep ruby color; deep, spicy, anise aromas with some dark cherry notes; dense, rich berry and dark cherry flavors with anise and earthy notes; moderate tannin and oak; good structure and balance; long finish. Rich, ripe Pinot with intense flavor-pair with a grilled steak. Production: 124 cases
2007 P2 Momtazi Vineyard Willamette Valley Pinot Noir
$44... Sale $19.99
92 points Pinot Report: Medium ruby color; earthy, berry aromas, slightly closed; ripe, rich, spicy berry and earthy flavors; nice depth; sweet oak; good structure and balance; long finish. Big, earthy style; nice berry flavors and great structure will allow this Pinot to age gracefully. Production: 99 cases
2007 P2 Cargasacchi Jalama Vyd Santa Barbara Pinot Noir
$44... Sale $24.99
94 points Pinot Report: Medium deep ruby color; spicy, plum and pepper aromas; rich, ripe, full black cherry and plum fruit; spicy, juicy notes; silky texture; good structure and balance; long finish. Deep, complex and delicious, this Pinot has a great core of fruit and a silkiness that I just love. Production: 124 cases
Offer Ends 5/31/2009

Please do not respond to this email, send your requests to sales@wadeswines.com or give us a call!

Wades Wines 805-522-4445

(in reply to SLIMES)
Post #: 84
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 5/12/2009 4:28:05 PM   
Happypoet

Just a heads-up here from a newbie.  Wines.com has some pretty tremendous deals on some mid to high end wines right now.

'05 Roda Cirsion at $89
'03 Faiveley Corton Clos de Corton at $79
'04 Colombo Cornas Les Ruchets at $29
'05 Flowers Andreen-Gale at $19
'05 Drouhin Vosne-Romanee at $29

All with free shipping, I think... Or at least on 6-packs.
Here is a link to some of their deals.  It's a bit disorganized, but worth looking through.

http://www.wines.com/catalog/?cPath=all&qks=5&pORDER=htl

(in reply to arcprise)
Post #: 85
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 5/12/2009 5:10:44 PM   
ytsai

JJbuckley sent out this email yesterday. I write to ask about it today and it was sold! Who says we are in recession...

quote:

Good Afternoon,

We have one Chateau d'Yquem Collector Set available for sale direct from the Chateau; this is extremely Rare! We asked for more but one is all we got! (I have attached a picture of the set for your reference)

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to buy a piece of history, with impeccable provenance! All bottles are in absolutely pristine condition.

This is an 18 bottle set - Each bottle is individually boxed in wood
You get 1 - 750ml bottle of each of the following Vintages:

1934, 1935, 1937, 1939, 1940, 1942, 1944, 1946, 1949, 1950, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1967, 1975, 1980, 1981, and 1982.

The price is $24,900

< Message edited by ytsai -- 5/12/2009 5:18:02 PM >

(in reply to Happypoet)
Post #: 86
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 5/13/2009 10:20:21 AM   
dhonig

How about $35 a bottle for Dow's '03 Vintage and Graham's '03 Vintage?  Telling you where won't help, because I already bought them all.  Also, the guy running the place might continue to demonstrate his ignorance, and I don't want any competition.

(in reply to pault)
Post #: 87
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 5/13/2009 6:53:53 PM   
khmark7

Just received an email from Binnys. 15% off everything this Saturday. For those of you in Chicago who didn't get the email, just IM me with your email and I'll forward you my email with the coupon.

(in reply to dhonig)
Post #: 88
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 5/15/2009 10:59:27 AM   
ob2s

good deals, but <edit> wine.com not wines.com </edit> is satan...... any company that tricks other wine shops into shipping wine in definace of stupid shipping laws and then reports them to the law is satan. Don't sell your soul.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Happypoet

Just a heads-up here from a newbie.  Wines.com has some pretty tremendous deals on some mid to high end wines right now.

< Message edited by ob2s -- 6/22/2009 5:42:57 AM >

(in reply to Happypoet)
Post #: 89
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 5/15/2009 8:52:56 PM   
Happypoet

I was unaware of this....  Wines.com evil?   Not wine.com.... elucidate, please!

quote:

ORIGINAL: ob2s

good deals, but wines.com is satan...... any company that tricks other wine shops into shipping wine in definace of stupid shipping laws and then reports them to the law is satan. Don't sell your soul.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Happypoet

< Message edited by Happypoet -- 5/16/2009 6:54:11 AM >

(in reply to ob2s)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI