1. townjbc

2. aberenguer

aberenguer

3. Mark1npt

Mark1npt

• The third wine of 14 vintages of PL back to ‘61 courtesy of Mark Golodetz. A pleasant drink showing full maturity and lovely notes of faded black fruits and truffles with a smooth finish that lacks much complexity. There were quite a few off-vintages that trumped this wine so I guess Parker was right about it early on.

• Given the vintage and Chateau I was expecting much more than this wine delivered. Still, faultless wine and enjoyable drinking.

• From 375. Very reliable source, good condition bottle at a wine bar/restaurant. No signs it was corked, just not very good overall. Refrained from scoring but would assign an especially low score given the fact that we didn't want to finish the glass :(
    Avoid this one at all costs!

• Decanted briefly and back into the btl for trip downtown. Pull cork not long after arrival at venue. Likely needed a bit more air as this came on near the end. My btl at recent Capital grill BDX dinner. Elegance with plenty of lead pencil, dark fruit, tobacco and splendid earthiness. In the context of a stellar group of table mates this took a back seat to the killer '83 Montrose and several Ducru vintages from 55,70 & 89. This was really only competitive with the 95 Ducru and the 83/99 Leoville poyferres. On its own I might have loved it more. Felt a little fat tonight. 93+

• I'm not sure this is the wine of a lifetime or has any suggestion of once being that but I do recall my last tasting note -- when I said that if I was on an island, this would be the wine I could drink for the rest of my life. I might feel the same way now but let me offer another context. If my local bar offered this as their house wine, I would stop by every day for a glass or two after work. It's that good 29 years after.

Unfortunately I have the memory of my prior tasting stuck in my head. These notes reflect a somewhat narrower taste profile, a bit thinner in the mid-palate but remaining quite balanced and full. What stands out is a long, sweet finish that is more than sufficient to offset any deficiencies noted earlier.

This wine had very little sediment on decanting. No foul notes in the aroma. A clear, beautiful, near perfect color profile. And absolutely no tannins or distractions as the wine swirls in your mouth. Earlier in the evening, I had pegged this wine at 90 but I am revising my score upward to 92 the more I think about it. Beautiful!

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comment

View From the Cellar

JancisRobinson.com

Vintage Tastings

• By John Kapon
    Hong Kong Killers, 2/5/2010

(Pichon Lalande) Login and sign up and see review text.

The World of Fine Wine

• By Stephen Tanzer
    The 1990 Clarets...To Have and To Hold (Nov 1993), 11/1/1993, (See more on Vinous...)

(Pichon-longueville Comtesse De Lalande Pichon-longueville Comtesse De Lalande) Login and sign up and see review text.

RJonWine.com

11/9/2014, (See more on RJonWine.com...) 93 points

(Château Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande) Bricking dark red violet color; mature, tobacco, olive, tart red currant, cedar nose; maturing, tart red currant, tart raspberry, green olive, cedar palate; medium-plus finish
    9/9/2012, (See more on RJonWine.com...) 88 points

(Château Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande) Bricked medium dark red violet color; tobacco, cedar nose; smoke, tobacco, toasty, cedar palate, on the downslope; medium-plus finish

Winedoctor

• By Chris Kissack
    December 2010, (See more on Winedoctor...) 16.5 points

(Chateau Pichon-Lalande (Pauillac)) A fascinating wine to taste in view of the drubbing this received from Parker. From a magnum, opened and decanted, and then tasted during the course of one evening. Still plenty of red pigment to this wine, no real convincing sign of maturity here, although there is a little dustiness to it. The nose has some fruit elements still, so this doesn't seem advanced (as the colour suggested), and of course the format may have had some impact on that. What non-fruit elements there are here include a blend of classic Bordeaux tea leaf and rust, but also some less common gamey, roast-meat characteristics. Good substance on the palate, full and with a little sweetness to it, certainly a very appealing texture, this is a maturing wine that has not lost its substance. Good structure here in fact, slightly gritty tannins, fresh acids, although the flavours within are tinged with little elements of roast ham and bacon which were suggested on the nose, dusted with cherries and cranberries. They're not actually unattractive, just not what I was expecting. In terms of presence I like this - there is texture, sappy acidity and tannins with a lightly chewy edge. But there is also a sense that it is a little stripped out; where is the exuberant and exotic character that we should expect from a wine produced by a second-growth Pauillac estate, in a great vintage, from a well-stored magnum at twenty years? It isn't here. Fortunately I think the structure is so convincing I do think there is more to come from this wine yet, in this format at least. Having said that, with roasted beef it showed more classic style, the tea leaf and rusty iron more prominent. Overall it drank really rather well. It is remarkable to think, however, that I have previously scored the 1991 higher than this.

RJonWine.com

7/26/2010, (See more on RJonWine.com...) 90 points

(Château Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande) Medium dark red violet color; herbaceous, olive, tobacco, mature nose; maturing, herbaceous, plush black fruit, tobacco, olive palate; medium-plus finish 90+ pts.

NOTE: Some content is property of View From the Cellar and JancisRobinson.com and Vintage Tastings and The World of Fine Wine and Vinous and RJonWine.com and Winedoctor.