• At Kim's for Randy's birthday. Solid burgundy. Has some weight, but mainly cherry fruit, still some tannin and acid but drinking well now.

• Much more classic than the one opened in 2006. Of course, the acidity is still on the lowish side, but it is becoming more what you would expect from a Burgundy and from Bachelet. A little more tannic and round than usual for Bachelet, but I am confident that the remaining bottles will develop beautifully over the medium term (5 to 10 years).

• Decanted for an hour or so. Starting to shut down. Sour cherries and some raspberries. Not too earthy. I don't know if I would guess it to be a burg but it's not bad. Balanced with some spices. I was hoping for more of a mushroom/earthy note but not from this bottle I guess. Nothing wrong with the bottle but nothing amazing either.

• Very dark ruby color, darker than usual for Bachelet but in tune with other 2003s. At first, I thought the nose was very typical Bachelet, but that changed quickly. A big bruiser of a wine with very low acidity. Still balanced but missing the tell-tale elegance of Bachelets wines from other years. I am a big fan of this bottling, but the 2003 left me scratching my head... There is no way that you could find this to be a Burgundy if tasted blind...With some air (drank over two days) this got better and exhibited at least some faint resemblance to a pinot. But I think the typicity will return in a few years. Although I don't like most 2003s for drinking now, I think they have the stuffing and power to develop into something special after, say, 10 to 15 years in the cellar. Let's wait and see. Drink 2015-2020.