1. SpoochMan

2. gregbohn

gregbohn

3. Donjcorleone

Donjcorleone

• Wine Tasting Group: 2007's from around the world (Our house): This was was polarizing for our group. Folks with new world preferences did not like it at all. It is very earthy/dirty/funky on both the nose and the palate. Considerable notes of garrigue also. But there is also high quality fruit here and lots of complexity. This is very well made CdP and would probably have scored a lot better among folks with inclinations toward old world wines. I did not find this to change much over the course of the evening, but I think it has considerable upside with additional aging. I will leave my other bottles to sit for at least a few years. Karen really disliked this, as she often does with french wines that are very dirty/earthy. This would probably be much better with the right food. My #3. Group's #4.

• Coravin taste. On the nose, lots of red fruit, along with garrigue, earth, and a hint of lavendar (?). On the palate, lively red and blue fruits, fruitcake, garrigue, and lots of earth/mineral on the long (but somewhat dirty tasting) finish. Some heat from the 15.5% alc, but got a bit better with air. It mellowed out a bit with 20-30 min of air and became a bit more accessible. This seems to be in its drinking window but with plenty of life left. Quite good, especially if you like the style. Note for future: K would probably NOT like this.

• A touch sweet but otherwise great.

• Ah, me, what was I thinking opening this? Yes, the 07 CDP vintage is supposed to be "early maturing and accessible," but this wine is far too young to liberate. Anyone opening this should decant for at least 60 min. Lots of potential here, though; potentially a 95 point wine. The last glasses from this bottle were amazing.

• Despite almost everyone loving this wine on CT, I have to say this is absolutely not my style of wine nor is it a classic Chateuneuf-du-Pape as I understand it. Blatantly sweet, stewed overripe fruit, candy like taste, cherry liqueur, smoke flavors, the alcohol way over the top of what I can bear. This is not a wine I would want to pair with food. Maybe one could pair this with a cigar on a cold winter evening. Not a wine style I can fully enjoy drinking. - 87 points

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comments (1)

The Rhone Report

• By Josh Raynolds
    January/February 2010, IWC Issue #148, (See more on Vinous...)

(Domaine Saint Prefert Chateauneuf du Pape Reserve Auguste Favier) Subscribe to see review text.

The Rhone Report

• By Josh Raynolds
    January/February 2009, IWC Issue #142, (See more on Vinous...)

JancisRobinson.com

NOTE: Some content is property of The Rhone Report and Vinous and JancisRobinson.com.