• Big nose has sweet, candied black fruit, asphalt and spice. Palate is medium bodied, polished but lacks oomph and depth. Indexes towards sweet fruit. Moderate acidity provides some counter punch to the fruit, but overall lacks structure and flavors are one-dimensional.

• PnP. Deep violet. Dark, dark berries and peppery, smokey meat on nose. Almost viscous dark fruit on entry that does meet tannin and acidity to provide balance by midpalate. Almost staining in intensity. Long finish. Texturally okay, but not interesting. Very pleasing flavors. Was very happy to 'find' these buried in the cellar, so I have not been able to follow its evolution. Judging from the CT notes, this may have been even jammier in it youth. Still youthful in my estimation.

• Dark purple in color with a very ripe fruit-driven nose that hits you like a blackberry pie in the face. Big and largely one-dimensional, and entirely the opposite of what I have come to expect from Copain. On the palate there is also some strawberry jam and quite a bit of heat and tannin. I don't think this is in any danger of going downhill but I am not sure about the upside either. This will appeal much more to fans of big ripe syrah/shiraz, but it is not really doing it for me.
    Postscript: this improved to my taste on day 2 and 3 (after being gassed and refrigerated). Still a bit of a one trick pony, but my wife enjoyed this quite a bit.

• Blackberry fruit bomb. Not in a bad way, not too far over the top. We drank it cool - pretty much around cellar temp, and recommend you do too. A little heat could stick out at warmer temps.

• Blueberries and alcohol. Not especially fun for me, and the weakest of the 2004 Copain single vineyard Syrahs I've tasted.

• By Stephen Tanzer
    May/June 2006, IWC Issue #126, (See more on Vinous...)

(Copain Wines Syrah Thompson Vineyard Santa Barbara County) Subscribe to see review text.