Overall, a smooth drinking Zinfandel that hides the 15% alcohol and still displays some youthfulness. Subdued nose that reflects the predominate flavors of mixed berry jam and black pepper spice that both pleasantly linger on a medium finish. This wine is drinking wonderfully now, but should have a least two more good years ahead depending on how it’s cellared.
Cork pulled rather dehydrated on the front 40 percent. Remaining 60 percent was good. This wine is not designed for cellaring. The aroma of the glass was fair with subtle lacing noted on the glass. The taste was CLASSIC Zinfandel wine. I ranked it 91 vs. 89 since it did stick rather true to Zinfandel form without being a Lodi or Paso Robles "Jam Bomb" that a lot of Zinfandels can be. If someone is trying to break into Zins, this is one of the first ones to try. It will definitely not disappoint.
A deep garnet wine with medium legs. The Frei Brothers Zinfandel Reserve has a nose of earth and black cherry. Tastes of black cherry, cola, juicy acidity and some oak. Tannins are fully integrated, giving a soft texture. Still mouth-coating at this point in time. The finish is black cherry, cola and oak with decent length.
Professional reviews have copyrights and you can view them here for your personal use only as private content. To view pro reviews you must either subscribe to a pre-integrated publication or manually enter reviews below. Learn more.