CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 10/15/2018 8:31:11 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

The Rose', so far, is Sangiovese only. About 120 pounds maybe from a half row before the picking crew needed a break. Yielded around 7-8 gallons of must. 3 cases or so likely by the end unless we add more.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 541
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 10/15/2018 8:36:16 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

And to show a winery's work never ends, we did blending trials on 4 carboys of Pinot Noir from 2017. Sunday morning, for whatever reason, is my usual tasting trial time. We both preferred one over the others, and over the blend. I cannot explain what, if anything, was different about that particular Carboy from a production side, but it does taste better, spice notes, cherry, so we probably will bottle 2 cases by itself, Carboy #3.

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 10/15/2018 8:38:57 AM >

Post #: 542
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 10/17/2018 10:32:49 AM   
BRR

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinSunnyside

I've never paid as much attention to the weather as I have lately. We had another inversion this morning, 36 low at my house, 32 in Yakima, and I saw bank thermometer reading of 27 when I got near my workplace.

This shot of the Naches River valley illustrates it quite nicely. Layers of warm air on top keeping fog laying low on the river, and even a cloud layer at about 1700 feet I'm guessing. Top of the Naches Heights sits at ~2000 feet, similar to the ridge line across the valley; our vineyard is at 1750-1800 feet. The river is at about 1200 feet.

This road is Shuller Grade, as I am sure BRR recognizes, which is one of 4-5 ways to access Naches Heights from the Valley.

YEP! It really is beautiful up there. My older cousin recently took us for a cruise around there in his GIGANTIC convertible classic Cadillac (with the top down, of course). The terrain is really unique.

Nice looking wine pics by the way, Chris!

Cheers!

Post #: 543
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 10/21/2018 11:15:22 AM   
khmark7

Killing frost here last night after a series of lighter frost events. Leaves are dropping very quickly and the trees are doing the same today. Basically 6 months of growth and 6 months of dormancy around here.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 544
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 10/22/2018 8:15:06 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

Another fun weekend picking and velocrushing. Saturday we had several friends and family over, started at the bottom and got all Sangiovese in, crushed it during lunch with chili, then picked Viognier/Roussanne and 4 rows of Syrah. By then it was beer-thirty, and the picking crew moved to Cowiche Creek. Yesterday Barbilocks and I crushed the Syrah and white Rhones. I kept out about 10-12 gallons of white must since we liked that wine last year.

My numbers were Sangio 22.5 Brix, 3.2 pH, Syrah (blend) 24.2 Brix, 3.3, Viognier/Roussanne 24.0, 3.2 pH. Really reinforced why Viognier and Syrah are used together, almost precise same ripening curve.

I am, of course, biased, but our fruit this year was/is pretty stunningly beautiful. We hand sorted out exactly zero clusters at the crusher, though we did leave a few raisened clusters un-picked in the field.

Took a glamour shot of the Syrah just after crushing with a tub of whole cluster topping.

We still have 13 rows of Syrah hanging, so the plan is to pick as time (and daylight) will allow this week, and get the rest next Saturday. Our weather continues to be amazing. Highs in the sixties, low high 30's to low 40's. Still no hard frost in the 10-day forecast. But we need to get these in and going because I'm travelling for work beginning 10/30. Barbilocks will be in charge of punch-downs (again).

A funny story, some neighbors came and helped Saturday morning for a couple of hours. After lunch, they had to go, chores at home. Saturday evening I see a post on facebook that they had made a nice batch of Syrah jelly. It looked yummy and gorgeous, but I kinda wondered something. About an hour later I get a text from the husband... "I think my wife took your Syrah grapes without asking! She asked someone in the vineyard, but I know you and Barb were not out there at the time. I am so sorry, what can we do to make this right?" We laughed, invited them to make some Viognier jelly too, and set side a bucket of grapes. And that's how variety specific Goat Rocks jelly got started. Next year we'll make sure to do some of every variety we grow.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 545
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 10/22/2018 3:09:16 PM   
Sourdough

Varietal and Estate jelly might be even more valuable than wine!

Post #: 546
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 10/22/2018 5:06:57 PM   
recotte

My almond butter sandwiches should be so lucky as to be graced with some Goat Rocks jelly!

Edit: I've noted elsewhere that one of my guilty pleasure pairings is an almond butter and honey on whole wheat sandwich with WA Syrah. I think the Syrah jelly would kick the whole thing up a notch.

< Message edited by recotte -- 10/22/2018 5:08:46 PM >

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to Sourdough)
Post #: 547
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 10/22/2018 6:45:03 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Both of these guys have drank my wines. They tell me to make jelly. Hmmmm.

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 548
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 10/22/2018 7:02:54 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

If you can make jelly better than wine with Syrah, you'd be pretty wealthy.

..... and I'd want a few cases of it.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

Post #: 549
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 10/22/2018 7:18:22 PM   
recotte

quote:

Only to supplement the wine, Chris!

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

Post #: 550
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 10/22/2018 9:16:53 PM   
fingers

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

quote:

Only to supplement the wine, Chris!

I’m good with either

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 551
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 10/23/2018 4:19:33 AM   
khmark7

Chris do you plan on starting a website for the sale of your booze?? You seem to have a knack for good Syrah.

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 552
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 10/29/2018 8:33:25 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

Chris do you plan on starting a website for the sale of your booze?? You seem to have a knack for good Syrah.
Yes, eventually.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 553
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 10/29/2018 8:52:43 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

Goat Rocks Harvest 2018 is in the books. Our longest, 51 days first pick to last, most productive, maybe 3 tons of fruit, and most colorful, our fall colors have been beyond spectacular, and the array of wine hues are coming along as well. Barbilocks and I finished up the last row of Syrah yesterday morning and got most of the Syrah crushed. Still a few tubs for today as we ran out of gas late yesterday.

I am experimenting with Rose' of Sangiovese, a Syrah Port style, and an unintentional Viognier Blush. The Viognier that I caught off the crusher for its own batch had a few accidental Syrah berries mixed in, really only maybe 1%, so a reverse co-ferment kinda, sorta. With the "standard" wines already made or in progress, 7 total wines for 2018, batch sizes ~2.5 gallons (Viognier) to ~200 gallons (Syrah)

One thing I know for sure is that this woman loves me. And I her.

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 10/29/2018 9:02:20 AM >

Post #: 554
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 10/29/2018 9:10:42 AM   
dsGris

Looking good on all fronts Chris. Like I said before, "This little hobby has taken on a life of it's own." Hard to fit in the day job, being both grower and wine maker.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

Post #: 555
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 10/29/2018 9:29:38 AM   
BRR

Very cool, Chris, thanks for the ongoing updates. That Viognier with a "dollop" of Syrah sound pretty cool. Call it an inverse Cote Rotie.

Cheers!

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 556
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 10/29/2018 10:08:10 AM   
PinotPhile

Dedication, Chris. And the creative blush may turn out great! The original White Zin was unintended. Supposedly.

https://www.foodnewsfeed.com/fsr/wine/white-zinfandel-born-accident-still-going-strong

Still not a bad barbecue wine on hot summer day, occasionally.

Post #: 557
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 10/29/2018 10:32:07 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

Thanks guys!

quote:

ORIGINAL: dsGris

Looking good on all fronts Chris. Like I said before, "This little hobby has taken on a life of it's own." Hard to fit in the day job, being both grower and wine maker.

This last note is the absolute truth. This year I spent mid July - mid September day job working in Wenatchee about 2.5 hours north. Tomorrow, I'm travelling to Oxnard, CA for a 5-6 week jaunt. Barbilocks will be punching down where needed and we'll press on a weekend when I'm home. It has been a bit of a miracle Barb and I have gotten it all done this year, she "unretired" this fall for a temporary but full time teaching assignment. Next year, we are strongly considering contracting out the vineyard work. But we'll see how I feel and what the day job schedule looks like come February/March. We're going to practice Chiva on pruning shears all winter.

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 558
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 10/29/2018 11:48:46 AM   
musedir

quote:

Goat Rocks Harvest 2018 is in the books. Our longest, 51 days first pick to last, most productive, maybe 3 tons of fruit, and most colorful, our fall colors have been beyond spectacular, and the array of wine hues are coming along as well. Barbilocks and I finished up the last row of Syrah yesterday morning and got most of the Syrah crushed. Still a few tubs for today as we ran out of gas late yesterday.

I am experimenting with Rose' of Sangiovese, a Syrah Port style, and an unintentional Viognier Blush. The Viognier that I caught off the crusher for its own batch had a few accidental Syrah berries mixed in, really only maybe 1%, so a reverse co-ferment kinda, sorta. With the "standard" wines already made or in progress, 7 total wines for 2018, batch sizes ~2.5 gallons (Viognier) to ~200 gallons (Syrah)

One thing I know for sure is that this woman loves me. And I her.

quote:

The Viognier that I caught off the crusher for its own batch had a few accidental Syrah berries mixed in, really only maybe 1%, so a reverse co-ferment kinda, sorta.

What’s this word ‘sorta’? A new Wine term?

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

Post #: 559
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 10/29/2018 4:11:47 PM   
khmark7

Very nice Chris. Hopefully those extra days of hang time really helped the grapes. It's a very long season.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 560
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 10/29/2018 7:02:35 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

quote:

quote:

The Viognier that I caught off the crusher for its own batch had a few accidental Syrah berries mixed in, really only maybe 1%, so a reverse co-ferment kinda, sorta.

Goat Rocks Preferred Customer List:
musedir

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 561
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 10/30/2018 4:24:33 AM   
RedRedMoreRed

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

quote:

quote:

Goat Rocks Preferred Customer List:
musedir

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy ~ Benjamin Franklin

Post #: 562
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 11/1/2018 8:33:58 AM   
BRR

quote:

Thanks guys!

quote:

ORIGINAL: dsGris

This last note is the absolute truth. This year I spent mid July - mid September day job working in Wenatchee about 2.5 hours north. Tomorrow, I'm travelling to Oxnard, CA for a 5-6 week jaunt. Barbilocks will be punching down where needed and we'll press on a weekend when I'm home. It has been a bit of a miracle Barb and I have gotten it all done this year, she "unretired" this fall for a temporary but full time teaching assignment. Next year, we are strongly considering contracting out the vineyard work. But we'll see how I feel and what the day job schedule looks like come February/March. We're going to practice Chiva on pruning shears all winter.

Being the husband of a public school teacher who is currently in a 50/50 time share in one classroom, there is NOTHING part time about it. Kudos, Barbilocks!

Cheers!

Post #: 563
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 2/10/2019 10:46:40 AM   
khmark7

My home made wines from California grapes went into carboy w/oak in early October, so my 4 month taste test was pretty good although the wines were austere at this point.

I have:
Sangiovese
Barbera
Carignane
Super Tuscan w/Sangio, Cabernet Sauvignon & a little Carignane.

How are yours Chris?

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 564
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 2/13/2019 7:47:39 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

My home made wines from California grapes went into carboy w/oak in early October, so my 4 month taste test was pretty good although the wines were austere at this point.

I have:
Sangiovese
Barbera
Carignane
Super Tuscan w/Sangio, Cabernet Sauvignon & a little Carignane.

How are yours Chris?

Everything in barrel in good shape, haven't done any ML analysis, but will prompt that if needed. Happy with the rose of Sangiovese that is in bottle. Bottled a port style that I' leave alone for a year or so. Need to bottle 2017 reds.

About 18 inches standing snow in the vines at the moment. No pruning needed quite yet, so I'm glad I didn't start in January when it felt like spring.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 565
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 2/14/2019 3:27:07 AM   
musedir

Glad you’re safely home bud. Plenty of time before pruning...

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

Post #: 566
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 2/14/2019 5:34:29 PM   
khmark7

So far zero pruning for me as well. I have less vines but they are HUGE vines, so it still takes time, but i enjoy it.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 567
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 2/18/2019 11:37:36 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

This picture of our earth work from this date in 2015 popped up on facebook this morning. Happy 4 year anniversary to Goat Rocks Vineyard.

Amazing how lucky we were in 2015 and 2016 to get the vines established and weather cooperated both of those years to be hottest, longest summers on record. 17 was a short season, 18 was long and good.

19 still has lots of snow cover, so earth work is not even a consideration, and pruning will not be until mid March by my current prediction, and who knows after that.

I took this picture this Saturday morning, too cold to roll down the window.

Some old barrels awaiting conversion into furniture. Or maybe planters.

Post #: 568
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 2/22/2019 9:08:07 AM   
BRR

Great pics, CiS! My folks just got back to the valley from a week in Cabo. Let's just say that their welcome home wasn't exactly enjoyable. Look at all that snow!

Cheers!

Post #: 569
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 2/22/2019 1:11:02 PM   
dsGris

I love that snow when in someone else's yard. We are in the dry zone this winter. Younger grand kids are getting on the skis, following their older cousins.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 570
Page:   <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI