CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: The Moratorium

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: The Moratorium Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Moratorium - 7/1/2010 4:28:59 AM   
pjaines

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

Yes, I believe step 2 is that you must admit your sins to a higher power.  Maybe pjaines can help us with that  

Would the 12 step programme accept me admitting my liver is a higher power? 

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 31
RE: The Moratorium - 7/1/2010 8:54:43 AM   
jhannah27

quote:

ORIGINAL: pjaines

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

Yes, I believe step 2 is that you must admit your sins to a higher power.  Maybe pjaines can help us with that  

Would the 12 step programme accept me admitting my liver is a higher power? 

I think your liver might smite you as a sinner considering the way you treat it.

-- Jeremy

(in reply to pjaines)
Post #: 32
RE: The Moratorium - 7/1/2010 10:34:25 AM   
PSirah Tampa

Finding my 1,400 bottle capacity wine cellar in gridlock with over 2,000 bottles in April, and my funds rapidly depleting, I too stopped purchasing cold turkey. We've been consuming around 400 bottles per year (including pouring for friends) and purchasing around 600 bottles. Little by little it's gotten out of hand (like my waist line). I'm drinking down inventory and have a -65 bottle count since mid April.

At first I found it VERY hard to ignore those daily e-mails tempting me with tremendous bargains, but I've noticed recently that I've becom indefferant to them. I'm beginning to not care about the deals I'm missing- I'm reforming! I'm really surprised how easy it's been to kick the buying habit.

Now my concern is that I might over-reform and loose my passion completely. If a Budweiser starts looking good I know I'm in trouble......

I just gotta drink'um faster!

(in reply to jhannah27)
Post #: 33
RE: The Moratorium - 7/1/2010 2:34:52 PM   
imcarthur

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

At my age I have to be realistic and start thinking about 20 year cellars instead of 30... ah, youth

That's where I am too. How will the '09 Bordeaux's taste will be more of a concern to my heirs.

Ian

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 34
RE: The Moratorium - 7/29/2010 6:52:28 AM   
khmark7

How did everyone do this month?  I was a good little boy and only bought 2 bottles, for a total of $20.  Even with all the fall mailers coming out next month I still don't see myself spending any great amount.  Drinking perhaps, but not buying!

(in reply to imcarthur)
Post #: 35
RE: The Moratorium - 7/29/2010 7:20:16 AM   
wineismylife

I've purchased 6 individual bottles at retail I needed for tastings or dinners.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 36
RE: The Moratorium - 7/29/2010 8:08:15 AM   
GoodToGrape

I am operating under a mild moratorium at the moment, but less about economics and more about just wanting to be more judicious, deliberate and selective than I have been in the past.  In my "big bang" phase where I found myself with a newfound appreciation for wine, combined with an empty cellar and flush with cash, I went overboard and bought lots of stuff I probably shouldn't have.  If I saw something that seemed like a good deal, I would buy a case of it without even tasting it - I guess subconsciously I was trying to fill the void in my cellar up rather than building a great personal collection of wine that is relevant to me.  And not bad wines, just not exactly what I would buy now.  So now, I'm trying to drink down some of those early impulse purchases before jumping back into a buying phase.  Oh well, live and learn. 

(in reply to wineismylife)
Post #: 37
RE: The Moratorium - 7/29/2010 8:42:50 AM   
caeleric

didn't do so hot. ended up buying the 4th highest quantity of any month so far in 2010, 3rd lowest gross dollar amount, and 2nd lowest avg bottle price. i also ended up renting another 12-case locker at my offsite storage, bringing my leased space to 3 6-case lockers and one 12-case locker. 

The Lord says, “Wine, both old and new, is robbing my people of their senses! (‭Hosea‬ ‭4‬:‭11‬ GNB)

what i got

(in reply to GoodToGrape)
Post #: 38
RE: The Moratorium - 7/29/2010 9:26:03 AM   
musedir

over two cases... the will power of a wet noodle!

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to caeleric)
Post #: 39
RE: The Moratorium - 7/29/2010 1:06:50 PM   
Kermadur

4 cases for me. My excuse is that I was wine tasting in France. After making tasting appointments, I didn't want to be rude and not buy wine.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 40
RE: The Moratorium - 7/30/2010 3:04:45 PM   
geppetto

Last month I bought a Beaucastel Hommage a Jacques Perrin and I promised my wife that that was it for the rest of the year. In just a little over 30 days I have added 3 cases. I am so weak!

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 41
RE: The Moratorium - 7/30/2010 5:31:01 PM   
dsGris

The moratorium is partially working.  Each quarter this year is half the previous.  July showed 22 with 14 pending @ $18.50 for me and 8 daily drinker whites @ 12.00 for my wife.  Those offers are will power killers.  I wait a day and then can disregard them or they are gone, but that finger hovers over the buy button.

Add three more Lillian from today's offer.
Hay, we will start in earnest tomorrow!

< Message edited by dsGris -- 7/31/2010 5:09:20 PM >

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to geppetto)
Post #: 42
RE: The Moratorium - 7/31/2010 1:00:49 AM   
TH

So far i haven't purhased anything, but it is only due to the fact, that i have been stressing over my last paper for Uni... i have a feeling that the turn-in will be celebrated with a buying and drinking-spree 

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 43
RE: The Moratorium - 7/31/2010 2:14:46 AM   
treetops

I've just bought a few bits and pieces although there was the 2009 German offer. I bought a case and a half there which surely doesn't count? Part II of the offer has arrived and I just HAVE to have some JJ Prum. Then there's two cases of 2005 CdP I've been putting off in the desperate hope that the retailers will run out of stock (no such luck). I'm afraid that I'll give in very soon but then it will be August by then, so it's another month; so that's ok too, isn't it???

"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" - Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to TH)
Post #: 44
RE: The Moratorium - 7/31/2010 1:32:02 PM   
PSirah Tampa

I bought 3 bottles of Barolo this month but they won't be delivered until October so they don't count.

(in reply to treetops)
Post #: 45
RE: The Moratorium - 7/31/2010 1:36:14 PM   
tourette

I haven't bought any red wine in a couple months. My family is moving to Seattle in the fall, and the less wine we have to move the better.

We've already drank all the wine out of my wood racks, and sold the racks on craigslist. Now if we can drink down one of the two wine fridges, we'll only have a few cases of the nicest stuff to transport. Its been a fun project. Mandatory, as buying a new house has killed any hope of a wine budget for a long time, but still fun.

Jeff

(in reply to PSirah Tampa)
Post #: 46
RE: The Moratorium - 8/6/2010 11:58:07 AM   
musedir

I just perused the "What have you bought lately" thread... there's no slowing those consumers over there! They obviously never learned the word moderation in their schooling, let alone moratorium!

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to tourette)
Post #: 47
RE: The Moratorium - 8/6/2010 1:15:41 PM   
musedir

when we moved from WV to Ga in early 1990s I has about 12 cases to move but at last moment shippers balked... I told them that it was always evident for detailer and was a part of their quote, but they still balked... I then offered to pack it myself and they labeled the contents of each package "Seller" and marked it breakable and fragile. Close enough to "cellar" for me.

Good luck with your move and hope your budget improves soon.

quote:

ORIGINAL: tourette

I haven't bought any red wine in a couple months. My family is moving to Seattle in the fall, and the less wine we have to move the better.

We've already drank all the wine out of my wood racks, and sold the racks on craigslist. Now if we can drink down one of the two wine fridges, we'll only have a few cases of the nicest stuff to transport. Its been a fun project. Mandatory, as buying a new house has killed any hope of a wine budget for a long time, but still fun.

Jeff

(in reply to tourette)
Post #: 48
RE: The Moratorium - 8/6/2010 2:59:34 PM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

I just perused the "What have you bought lately" thread... there's no slowing those consumers over there! They obviously never learned the word moderation in their schooling, let alone moratorium!

Uh-oh, perusing the "What have you bought lately" thread is the Devil's work!!  Seriously, I know that I enjoy buying several different wines, I just don't need to buy anything as I have many many more wines that I just need to drink first.  There are several mailers that will start popping up here soon....and I will probably pass on most.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 49
RE: The Moratorium - 8/6/2010 6:21:02 PM   
dsGris

Just 2 so far this month, not counting the 4 or 5 daily drinkers my wife has consumed from the store.  As I drink about 4 per week, I will run out in about 4 years at this replacement rate.  Those pesky e-mails do get the excitement up though.  I am switching my obsession over the learning Spanish.  We have a conversation group where I bring a bottle of wine to share.  Also our traveling group is having a big Spanish dinner in a week, so the opportunity arises to share a bunch of better Spanish wines, mostly Tempranillo import and domestic.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 50
RE: The Moratorium - 8/7/2010 5:46:21 AM   
treetops

Well I'm hanging on by the finger nails. I did buy a little JJ Prum as I admitted earlier, plus I'm afraid to say that I was tempted to buy a couple more half cases of 2009 Mosel, but on the brighter side I've resisted most other things. I find constantly re-working my "wants" list but never actually ringing the retailers does the trick.

"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" - Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 51
RE: The Moratorium - 9/29/2010 11:29:18 AM   
caeleric

3Q results are in, assuming i keep my credit card sheathed for the next 34 hours
july 27 bottles @ $30 avg
aug 21 bottles @ $28 avg
sep 1 bottle, not even purchased because it was a gift from the winery

i was weak in july. an impulse buy of a mixed case of california pinot, a mixed half-case of alto moncayo wines at ridiculously low prices, and two '95 bdx for God knows why.

august wasn't as bad, my purchases just came in higher-than-usual volume. i split a case with my mom of a mid-priced red blend that we love called vicarious from modus operandi cellars, then smig released his '08 de la terre so i bought a half case of that, and then abc fine wine & spirits here in orlando rolled out their '08 stags leap proprietary bottling that was fan-friggin'-tastic at $22, so i bought a half case of it.

The Lord says, “Wine, both old and new, is robbing my people of their senses! (‭Hosea‬ ‭4‬:‭11‬ GNB)

what i got

(in reply to pjaines)
Post #: 52
RE: The Moratorium - 9/29/2010 2:00:49 PM   
Khamen

How did I miss this thread!?!?

Why has Eric not banned it!?

NOT buying wine? These Romans are crazy...

Thank god some people are keeping the economy churning. For September I managed

12 x Unico, 6 x Redigaffi, 6 x Sociando Mallet, 3 x Case Basse, 3 x Montrose, 3 x Giaconda Warner, 6 x Cepparello, 6 x Grange, 6 x Ornellaia +1 magnum and an Imperial of Figeac

Which roughly adds up to about 59 x 75cl bottles. All of these are lying around the floor of my garage until I can decide what to do with them - maybe I need a break after all...

K

We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here and we want them now!

Withnail

(in reply to caeleric)
Post #: 53
RE: The Moratorium - 9/29/2010 2:14:20 PM   
PSirah Tampa

I just checked my pending deliveries- I've purchased 15 cases over the last 4 months; 12 of them will be delivered within the next 5 weeks.  I need to order a shoehorn to get this stuff into my cellar.

I have wine delivered to my office for a reason.  Now I need to figure out a plan to get it into the house without detection.  Maybe I should send my wife on a month long cruise?  Perhaps put the wine in Saks Fifth Ave. bags and tell her they're christmas gifts?  Bring home one bottle a day for 144 days?

Any other ideas?

(in reply to Khamen)
Post #: 54
RE: The Moratorium - 9/29/2010 2:17:19 PM   
Bryan Collins

Drink it in the office. One a day for lunch; all gone in seven months or so. Simples.

(in reply to PSirah Tampa)
Post #: 55
RE: The Moratorium - 9/29/2010 2:31:15 PM   
gmbdds

I recently fessed up to my wife about the amount of wine I have "pending delivery". She was very cool about it.....of course I told her to go shopping right afterwards.

(in reply to Bryan Collins)
Post #: 56
RE: The Moratorium - 9/29/2010 3:00:51 PM   
Gnoop

I've just finally started to claw my way out of my moratorium.  It was broken only a few times so I cleared out inventory then had to live with a glass here and there at restaurants.  Of course, what little I've bought got me a, "well, merry Christmas," from the wife. 

Fortunately I can start eyeing the holidays and the need to bring wine for those occasions at a minimum ;)

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 57
RE: The Moratorium - 9/29/2010 6:26:38 PM   
geppetto

I'm finally on the wagon. I haven't bought a single bottle in about a month. I probably saved about $1500!

(in reply to Gnoop)
Post #: 58
RE: The Moratorium - 9/29/2010 6:34:35 PM   
gbm

quote:

ORIGINAL: geppetto

I'm finally on the wagon. I haven't bought a single bottle in about a month. I probably saved about $1500!

Don't worry.  I spent it for you.

Although my price per bottle has decreased from about $34 to $31, my spending has doubled since last year.  I need to stop buying until January.

Greg

(in reply to geppetto)
Post #: 59
RE: The Moratorium - 9/29/2010 11:38:36 PM   
dsGris

quote:

ORIGINAL: geppetto

gepetto,
You are my inspiration. I was doing well for two months, then seemed to go ape sh't and bought 7 cases of WA reds and assorted Syrahs in Sept. On the wagon again. I checked my purchase report. Most ever in 2010, and I was going to cut back.
No more is quarter four!

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to geppetto)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: The Moratorium Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI