CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: The Moratorium

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: The Moratorium Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Moratorium - 10/11/2010 3:01:59 PM   
musedir

Headed to my favorite wine store in Asheville next week... will see if my restraints are strong enough to resist the inevitable temptations that are certain to be laid before me... of course I could just not visit the store, but I could also just not go to workout tomorrow morning... both acts are important to my well being. Of course, my quartermaster will be with me and she just doesn't get the whole temptation "push-pull" thing...

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 91
RE: The Moratorium - 10/11/2010 4:23:03 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: dsGris

Full Pull has knack for getting the pulse up.  I just needed that Betz, only one and not the usual 3 pac and two of the Waters Syrah @ $18 just to keep in the game.  Almost two weeks and three bottles, I can live with that.

I bit for 2 Betz but held firm on the Waters. So, I spent more money, but bought fewer overall bottles. Who wins?

I've noticed Full Pull offers getting more frequent and more attractive, meaning bigger names, higher profile wines. I'm expecting the Cayuse and Quilceda offers just around the corner. That to me is a blessing and a curse. A blessing because it tells me Paul's business is thriving and more and more producers are seeing his distribution model as a good one for them. A curse because the temptation to click and spend is a daily struggle.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 92
RE: The Moratorium - 10/20/2010 11:26:16 AM   
musedir

Visited Asheville Wine Market yesterday and bought a case of Frenchies... 8 reds and 4 whites, all individual bottles and ranging from 2004-2009... Just felt like doing a sampler (including one from Sardinia).
I walked in the door and my favorite salesman said welcome back... I never had a chance!

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 93
RE: The Moratorium - 10/20/2010 12:01:11 PM   
dsGris

I got an e-mail from Micheal @ StoryTeller with Reynvaan available.  Immediate response for one of each.  Saturday pick up and the tasting bar was open.  The Un Named was still open and very good, so I added a couple more of those.  A Joseph Swan Zin also appeared, got a couple of those.  I filled out the case for discount with some white and rosé for my wife.  Whenever some thing for her appears on a prominent shelf, I get less questioning.  To be really truthful, I did not point out the ones I got for myself.  Michael did pour another very nice red, but I held my ground.  I only spent 3 times what I was planning, but it didn't go on the card so that was a partial win!

< Message edited by dsGris -- 10/20/2010 12:02:05 PM >

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 94
RE: The Moratorium - 10/20/2010 12:47:13 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

I have held since my last slip-up Moratorium-wise. Sort of.

I travelled last week and bought a couple of bottles, one for immediate consumption, one for a friend. While I was away, my partner in crime, aka Mrs. CiSs, picked up a club shipment and did very well, only adding one bottle to the order. That bottle was drank the night of my return.

One other thing I might mention here is that I'm buying 300 or so pounds of Riesling and Tempranillo grapes that will be converted into wine over the next few weeks/months. My experience from last year tells me that's ~80 bottles but those won't go into inventory until their official "release" sometime next year.

So, only 2 actual bottles added to my CT inventory beyond my self-imposed restriction for the month. Only 11 more days to go.

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 95
RE: The Moratorium - 10/20/2010 6:32:52 PM   
khmark7

I've been good so far this month.  Mainly just some mailing list offers and will probably pick up something from the Finger Lakes here soon.

Post #: 96
RE: The Moratorium - 10/21/2010 11:21:53 AM   
caeleric

i bit on a half case of orin swift's new '09 "abstract" rhone blend. *sigh*

The Lord says, “Wine, both old and new, is robbing my people of their senses! (‭Hosea‬ ‭4‬:‭11‬ GNB)

what i got

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 97
RE: The Moratorium - 10/21/2010 11:26:53 AM   
YoDaddyO

quote:

ORIGINAL: caeleric

Please let me know what you think...I'm a big fan of their Mercury Head and the prisoner has become almost a weekly drinker for us...

DaddyO

Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -Benjamin Franklin

"They give you a round bat and they throw you a round ball. And they tell you to hit it square."-Willie Stargell

(in reply to caeleric)
Post #: 98
RE: The Moratorium - 10/21/2010 1:58:07 PM   
caeleric

quote:

ORIGINAL: YoDaddyO

quote:

Please let me know what you think...I'm a big fan of their Mercury Head and the prisoner has become almost a weekly drinker for us...

i probably won't have it shipped (ca to fl) for a few more weeks. temps are creeping back up into the high 80s / low 90s here in mickey-town.

i have loved the past few vintages of the prisoner. i've never had the papillon or the mercury head. i'm not too keen on the saldo. i know dave phinney's style is not for everyone, but i am a fan! and at $20/btl i couldn't resist.

The Lord says, “Wine, both old and new, is robbing my people of their senses! (‭Hosea‬ ‭4‬:‭11‬ GNB)

what i got

(in reply to YoDaddyO)
Post #: 99
RE: The Moratorium - 10/23/2010 6:52:00 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

My mother-in-law is visiting from Chicago. She is a big fan of Owen Roe Sinister Hand as it's one of the first Washington wines we shared with her during a trip to Chicago a couple of years ago and she can get it at various outlets in Chicago. She said she's out of the 2008 and can't find it anymore in Chicago.

I was pretty sure I could still find it at one of our local retailers, Wray's on 56th in Yakima, so I went by there to look, but I was given "guidance" by Mrs. CiSs to only buy two bottles, luggage wieght, MIL budget, etc...

When I got there, the Sinister Hand bin was empty, so I asked the clerk the status of the 08 and 09. He didn't have any 09 yet, expecting delivery any day. But he did have a few magnum's of 08.

So, I did what any reasonable son-in-law would do. I bought her two magnums of 08 Sinister Hand and lied about the price.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 100
RE: The Moratorium - 10/23/2010 7:06:34 AM   
musedir

Sounds like the obtuse logic that I would try to run by she who must be obeyed... don't forget to duck.

Post #: 101
RE: The Moratorium - 10/23/2010 7:21:53 AM   
markandsusanw

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: YoDaddyO

quote:

i probably won't have it shipped (ca to fl) for a few more weeks. temps are creeping back up into the high 80s / low 90s here in mickey-town.

i have loved the past few vintages of the prisoner. i've never had the papillon or the mercury head. i'm not too keen on the saldo. i know dave phinney's style is not for everyone, but i am a fan! and at $20/btl i couldn't resist.

Mind sharing where you found the Abstract for $20/per? I've been wanting to try (love Orin Swift wines in general) and the best I've seen is $25/bottle.

(in reply to caeleric)
Post #: 102
RE: The Moratorium - 10/31/2010 11:29:37 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

Assuming I stay strong for the next 12 hours and 34 minutes, my October goal will have been met. Depending on how you count. My total cellar number has remained close to even, meaning we've drank at same pace as purchases including club shipments that have arrived. Over this weekend, my slips have been for perfectly legitimate reasons.

One, the MIL has left and I made her a parting gift of one of our favorite wines, Upland Estates Old Vine Cab. We didn't have any more in the house, so we had to buy it, (and of course restock our cellar at the same time).

Two, Paul Z at Full Pull offered a wine we tasted this summer that totally blew me away, Grand Reve V, Grenache from Ceil du Cheval Red Mountain and Chris Gorman as winemaker. The other thing here that folks may not know is that Grand Reve's estate vineyard on Red Mountain had some grapes stolen in September, so this is part of my contribution to insure that Ryan Johnson doesn't go without food this winter.

Three, we're doing another home winemaking adventure which may lead to a whole bunch of slop to go down the drain or an additonal 60-70 bottles of wine.

As attonement for these slip-ups, we cancelled one club membership.

My goal for November is actually see the cellar get smaller.

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 10/31/2010 12:13:45 PM >

(in reply to markandsusanw)
Post #: 103
RE: The Moratorium - 10/31/2010 11:49:47 AM   
musedir

Personal goals are good things as long as they are done in moderation.

Post #: 104
RE: The Moratorium - 11/3/2010 6:32:32 PM   
khmark7

Less than a case purchased in October....which is good for me. 

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 105
RE: The Moratorium - 11/4/2010 11:30:08 PM   
Stirling

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

At my age I have to be realistic and start thinking about 20 year cellars instead of 30... ah, youth

So true. Youth is wasted on the young.

I am pleased but surprised to see how many others also have the "collectors  sickness". Pleased only because i take a little comfort in knowing i am not the only one showing this addictive tendency. At my rate of consumption I have a 20 year cellar; plenty for a man 53.  This year has been the first that I have conciously made the effort to buy less wine. I lay off for a while but then slip right back in. The word recidivism comes to mind. Further resolve is needed.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 106
RE: The Moratorium - 11/13/2010 5:38:47 PM   
musedir

Help!!! Came so close to buying 10 bottles of Cameron Hughes @ 20% off and even thought about 14 more for the free shipping!!! Finally pushed delete button as I don't need to add to cellar this quarter.

My name is Tom...

(in reply to Stirling)
Post #: 107
RE: The Moratorium - 11/14/2010 1:13:40 AM   
dsGris

quote:

Help!!! Came so close to buying 10 bottles of Cameron Hughes @ 20% off and even thought about 14 more for the free shipping!!! Finally pushed delete button as I don't need to add to cellar this quarter.

My name is Tom...

I finally found that delete button, or alternately just wait a day on the Garagiste and Full Pull mailers, delete is easier then. Now if I buy whites and rosé, my wife does not get so upset. Baby steps. Sometimes the Devil just grabs me and I just go along for the ride. Does a dog feel guilt when he snatches the Thanksgiving turkey? I just gifted a mixed case to my son for the Holidays. I'm thinking that may help plead my case. The insanity defense is looking more plausible.

< Message edited by dsGris -- 11/14/2010 10:31:45 AM >

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 108
RE: The Moratorium - 11/14/2010 3:51:54 AM   
musedir

I checked how much I have in storage at Buckley's and naturally felt obligated to investigate their sales... Suddenly shook my head and opened up this thread only to have the insanity defense offered up as plausible denial... Now what was I looking at on Cameron Hughes?

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 109
RE: The Moratorium - 11/18/2010 9:14:54 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

I was tricked!!!

The Yakima visitor center had a little open house tonight and somehow I got invited via twitter for some wine tasting and hors d'ourves. I was waiting on my wife to arrive, sipping one of my four allowed wine samples, munching on little beef wrapped red peppers and minding my own business. Then the lady pouring told me all wine was 20% off. What wine? Well that whole rack over there that you didn't see when you came in. On examination, the selection included several bottles I know we like, all hovering at or below $20. $20 - 20% = $16. So a mixed case was forced upon me.

I was tricked.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 110
RE: The Moratorium - 11/19/2010 2:43:14 AM   
musedir

Chris, the spawn of the devil are everywhere waiting to put temptation in front of you. It's really not your fault you met the dreaded 20%-ers as who would have suspected they would be lurking in a visitors center? Contrition time!

Post #: 111
RE: The Moratorium - 11/19/2010 5:55:45 AM   
khmark7

Ye of little will....

Only 5 bottles so far this month.  I even deleted the Thanksgiving sale email from Binnys without getting the shakes.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 112
RE: The Moratorium - 11/19/2010 6:40:58 AM   
wadcorp

My only purchase this month was the box of all six Longshadow reds.

Trying to stay strong, but traveling to Hot 'lanta over Thanksgiving to my brother-in-laws, and my mother-in-law has already instructed me to put together a case of wine for him while I'm there.

They keep pulling me back in…

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 113
RE: The Moratorium - 11/19/2010 7:04:37 AM   
musedir

Phil - just down the road but I'm afraid with your relatives, holiday plans and just being a very busy time of year, there is really no way to find time to grab MindMuse and TomATL and others for a quick quaff... so enjoy ATL and good luck on just buying for brother-in-law (my b-n-l must NEVER be allowed to buy the wines!!!).

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 114
RE: The Moratorium - 11/19/2010 7:41:12 AM   
wadcorp

quote:

Phil - just down the road but I'm afraid with your relatives, holiday plans and just being a very busy time of year, there is really no way to find time to grab MindMuse and TomATL and others for a quick quaff... so enjoy ATL and good luck on just buying for brother-in-law…

Plan to enjoy Atlanta & always do.

There's a breakfast place we visited in 2006 & really enjoyed, but can't for the life of me remember the name. Any leads you can throw my way for a righteous breakfast?

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 115
RE: The Moratorium - 11/19/2010 9:33:43 AM   
Stirling

"Hot 'Lanta": that wouldn't happen to be an Allman Bros Live at Filmore East reference, would it?

Was in Napa/Sonoma last week and managed to come home with just 4 bottles from the 07 vintage: Bucella, Opus One, Ch St Jean Reserve Chard and Cinq Cepages. I thought that actually showed a modicum of discipline.

My blog: www.advinetures.ca

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 116
RE: The Moratorium - 11/19/2010 10:04:19 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

More tricks! My e-mail nemisis, Paul Zitarelli/Full Pull has today advertised a mystery Malbec from Yakima Valley. This is Trey Busch's Renegade project where vineyard sources aren't always disclosed. The trick part is that Paul suggests using CellarTracker to narrow the likely vineyard sources. Hmmm, didn't know you could do that, but a few quick clicks on the search advanced got me this list of wines that might be further dissected to find places in the Yak growing Malbec. I'm not buying this time though, my wallet is exhausted, but I think this may be the first time I've ever seen a retailer use CellarTracker and the search functions here to sell wine.

FWIW my favorite Malbec from Yakima, Uplands, isn't listed in this search because it's a subappellation, Snipes Mountain. Depending on who you ask the Yakima subappellations (Red Mountain, Rattlesnake Hills, Snipes Mountain) may be part of included possible vineyard sources. Or not.

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 11/19/2010 10:06:37 AM >

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 117
RE: The Moratorium - 11/19/2010 10:54:29 AM   
musedir

The Silver Skillet is on 14th Street near Georgia Tech and is a celebrated breakfast "joint" in ATL.

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 118
RE: The Moratorium - 11/19/2010 10:55:57 AM   
musedir

I love Malbecs but have not had that many domestic... how would I go about finding such a rare speciment?

Post #: 119
RE: The Moratorium - 11/19/2010 11:42:32 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

I love Malbecs but have not had that many domestic... how would I go about finding such a rare speciment?

For Washington Malbec, one way is to sign up for Full Pull, but I don't know if Georgia is one of the states they ship to.

I looked at few of the other possible direct buys from Washington where I thought they might have some, but availability from even Chateau St. Michelle is unlikely. Almost all of the folks who make Malbec here as a single varietal make limited amounts, like less than 100 cases, so it doesn't get distributed very widely.

Of course there is also an Elf who might know where to pick up some for a stocking stuffer.

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 11/19/2010 11:44:20 AM >

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: The Moratorium Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI