CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Growing Your Own Grapes

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Growing Your Own Grapes Page: <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 5/30/2018 8:56:58 AM   
Vino Me

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7
Vino Me: How are you pruning your vines?

Not really pruning this time of year since I'm not cutting. What I am doing is just rubbing any buds off of the main trunks with my hand. Since they are so tender now, it is easier to just rub them off at this stage then to go thru the vineyard with a pair of cutters later. It also allows the vines to put more energy into the canes which are growing off the cordons.

quote:

Early samples from 2017 were excellent.

2017 was a spectacular year in Southwest Michigan. Absolutely love my Pinot Noir and how it is progressing (of course I'm biased). Also tasted thru many of Jim Lester's 2017's at Wyncroft and posted notes (An early look at the 2017 Wyncroft/Marland lineup).

VM

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 991
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 5/31/2018 6:33:41 PM   
khmark7

Vino Me: Was referring to your winter pruning method. Cane/head pruning vs spur pruning. Did you leave recovery canes along the ground level?

Good chance i cut everything back in the fall to bush vines so i can cover against the bitter cold. For now i have a lot of growth, but a severely reduced crop on my few vines. Should have a little Cabernet Franc & Petite Verdot, enough to make a batch of grape jelly.

Plenty of rain in Chicago, so lots of vegetative growth. Flowering in full swing with many varieties, with my Merlot, Cab Franc perhaps a week away from flowering.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to Vino Me)
Post #: 992
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 6/1/2018 11:14:54 AM   
Vino Me

quote:

Vino Me: Was referring to your winter pruning method. Cane/head pruning vs spur pruning. Did you leave recovery canes along the ground level?

I have not done any winter pruning the last 3 years. I wait to prune in March. Most SW Michigan growers do leave a recovery cane on the ground and either plow the row to cover it with soil or just let the snow cover it. However, my vineyard is only 3 blocks from Lake Michigan and we are about 8 degrees warmer in the winter than those vineyards which are a couple miles inland. Since Pinot Noir is one of the more cold tolerant Vinifera varieties, I have not bothered with recovery canes and have scene little to no cold damage.

VM

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 993
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 6/25/2018 10:51:37 AM   
Vino Me

The rain continues in SW Michigan. As a result, I've increased my spraying program. Downy and powdery mildew as well as black rot could be a problem this year but so far everything looks very healthy. The vines (which got a slightly later start because of a colder Spring) have more than made up for it. Should get 3-4 times the fruit I got last year now that the vines are 4 years old.

Last weekend I also pruned and dropped some fruit. I'll go through again in July and have to drop some more.

VM

(in reply to Vino Me)
Post #: 994
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 6/25/2018 11:05:09 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vino Me

The rain continues in SW Michigan. As a result, I've increased my spraying program. Downy and powdery mildew as well as black rot could be a problem this year but so far everything looks very healthy. The vines (which got a slightly later start because of a colder Spring) have more than made up for it. Should get 3-4 times the fruit I got last year now that the vines are 4 years old.

Last weekend I also pruned and dropped some fruit. I'll go through again in July and have to drop some more.

VM
Sounding good Jeff!

We have been blessed (I guess) with an extreme dry stretch, no real rain since early April. I have been irrigating semi-weekly since late May. Will pick up that pace if heat warrants, but everything is looking pretty good. We had good fruit set, and we are at mostly BB- sized fruit, with some syrah approaching small peas now. Crop load for us is heavy, so over the 4th (travelling this week) I likely will drop some over crowded clusters.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to Vino Me)
Post #: 995
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 6/29/2018 12:23:36 AM   
champagneinhand

Things are going well here. After some brutal results from Winter things are looking up. All of the 6 added Riesling are growing just great. Time to spray again for mildew as expected weather will be in the 90s here for the next 4 days. Canopy management on the remains Chardonnay grapes is always a hassle. I’ve never seen a more self sabotaging grape other than the tons of feral Concords throughout the area. Many rodents from bunnies to groundhogs and even chimpmunks abound. It’s driving my hound crazy.

Of course I just got a new Stoeger air rifle sighted in and am taking care of the young bunnies and other rodents as I’m no longer playing around with tapping and relocation.

I hope everybody is seeing good results. Had I known this growing season, particularly Spring would be so good, I would have planted 4 more Riesling to give me an even 32 vines. Next year I should have about 2.5 cases of Riesling. Hopefully.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 996
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 6/29/2018 5:04:18 PM   
khmark7

Chicago has had an extremely wet May & June so far, and in between bursts of 90+ temps, including this weekend. I am either working in the rain or high heat.

Grapes are growing well enough, and trying to stay atop the spray program to avoid black rot. Need to get outside and begin cluster thinning on some varieties and my vinifera varieties are completely over grown in this wet weather.

Roughly 30 days until veraison.

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 997
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 7/9/2018 10:48:31 AM   
champagneinhand

Midsummer and the grapes are growing in size now with some vines still reaching skyward. I’m very impressed with my Double A Riesling planter this year. I need to spray some sulfur tomorrow when it’s cooler as we have had almost all sun but a bit of damp air. Plucked some leaves this afternoon. Little birds are picking off small berries already. I can’t imagin they have any taste other than blistering acidity. I was hoping not to need netting this year, but I may as well get used to the idea as neighboring properties have cut away most of their Briar area which the birds use as a nursery and place to just hang out. Now they enjoy sitting on my wires. Arghh.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 998
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 7/9/2018 5:16:02 PM   
khmark7

Dave - my grapes clusters are now full sized - and even more than usual due to our rainfall the last few weeks. Currently it is dry & hot, so that is welcome relief to me as now i can catch up on pruning and thinning and the vines have stopped growing.

Planning on taking my red wine varieties and using them to create a Rose wine. It's possible i will have enough Cabernet Franc to make grape jelly but the winter really caused a lot of damage. White wine varieties could net 3 gallons of juice. At the very least i should have more than enough to make grape jelly from my Buffalo & Beta vines, and i have the Bluebell and Steuben vines at my mother's house.

Oh, and the Japanese beetles are now out in force.

Post #: 999
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 7/9/2018 9:14:10 PM   
peeks13

quote:

Dave - my grapes clusters are now full sized - and even more than usual due to our rainfall the last few weeks. Currently it is dry & hot, so that is welcome relief to me as now i can catch up on pruning and thinning and the vines have stopped growing.

Planning on taking my red wine varieties and using them to create a Rose wine. It's possible i will have enough Cabernet Franc to make grape jelly but the winter really caused a lot of damage. White wine varieties could net 3 gallons of juice. At the very least i should have more than enough to make grape jelly from my Buffalo & Beta vines, and i have the Bluebell and Steuben vines at my mother's house.

Yes...the Japanese beetle problem. Now an interesting dilemma for me. They love devouring vine leaves, obviously. Didn't put up my trampoline this year so hence, that area underneath is now heavy weeds, very unsightly. About to Round Up the whole area when I notice the Japanese beetles are loving these ugly large weeds. So they're leaving the grapevines alone. Kill the weeds and they go to the vines or leave the weeds and incur my wife's wrath? Damn grubs.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 1000
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 7/12/2018 9:06:13 AM   
Vino Me

quote:

I noticed some Japanese beetles last week in Michigan and sprayed. That has always done the trick in the past.

VM

(in reply to peeks13)
Post #: 1001
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 7/12/2018 12:04:04 PM   
champagneinhand

Sprayed for beetles and got some on my vines. You would think with thousands of feral Concord grapes they would be fine munching on them.

(in reply to Vino Me)
Post #: 1002
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 7/12/2018 5:35:12 PM   
khmark7

the beetles for the most part prefer the native grapes or hydrid grapes and leave my vinifera along.

Post #: 1003
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 7/21/2018 2:52:22 PM   
khmark7

Seeing the start of veraison here, mostly just on the early ripening seedless varieties, but also noticing it on my Regent (German variety). Spent some time placing bird netting and already have traps set for the raccoons who will eventually come looking for food. Noticing a bit more black rot than i had anticipated, but it was bound to happen with our weather this year.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 1004
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 8/16/2018 4:45:14 PM   
khmark7

Since veraison began we have had no rain until yesterday, so moderately dry conditions for the area, similar to last year. Juice grapes likely to be picked next weekend and white & red wine varieties likely to be picked between Sept 10-20. Considering going native with the yeast. Anyone have experience with this??

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 1005
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 8/16/2018 4:57:35 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

Since veraison began we have had no rain until yesterday, so moderately dry conditions for the area, similar to last year. Juice grapes likely to be picked next weekend and white & red wine varieties likely to be picked between Sept 10-20. Considering going native with the yeast. Anyone have experience with this??

I’ve never had the patience or guts to go native fermentation but I have had Syrah batches start on their own. Depending on batch size and ability to provide and control heat I’d try it. My larger fermentations last few years have pushed into cold November weather in a tarped in patio, so I’ve been anxious to press off (also outside) before the snow flies

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 8/16/2018 5:00:52 PM >

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 1006
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 8/16/2018 6:18:54 PM   
khmark7

Chris, thinking i will try and press my white wines outside this fall, and maybe even the reds, only need to find someone to help me move the destemmer from my basement. Just that little less cleanup.

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 1007
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 8/17/2018 2:10:33 PM   
Vino Me

quote:

I've never done it but I've been warned against it by local winemakers in Michigan. Not all native yeasts produce the desired flavors for a varietal and can lead to some funky off flavors. Now if you have been fermenting wine in your basement for a number of years, you may be able to ferment wine down there without the addition of extra yeast. The yeast you have used in the past may still have an ambient presence in the basement. If you do this, the wine may ferment naturally but it is likely that it won't be from native yeasts.

VM

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 1008
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 8/20/2018 4:36:15 PM   
khmark7

Making wine from grapes is hard work, making them from your own grapes is even harder.

Picked some more grapes today. Ideally in an alternate universe, the grapes that i grow would ripen in cooler conditions, maybe September.

(in reply to Vino Me)
Post #: 1009
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 8/21/2018 11:16:49 AM   
Vino Me

What varieties did you pick in August? And what were the brix?

My Pinot Noir was only in the 10-13 brix range last weekend. I went through the vineyard and green harvested about 30 pounds of grapes that I discarded.

VM

< Message edited by Vino Me -- 8/21/2018 11:17:10 AM >

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 1010
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 8/21/2018 1:04:17 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

We picked a white seedless variety, I have no idea which one, at a friends house last weekend, 22 Brix, and made some jam. About 5 gallons of grapes from a single vine on her fence and patio arbor. The vine is 25-30 years old at least, and she bought the place a couple of years ago. I pruned it hard 2 years ago for her, and now if it producing much more fruit than her first year there. She and her family had already eaten all they could hold when we arrived to check, and cleaned off the rest on Saturday afternoon.

My wine grapes are tracking about same as 2016, so I won't bother with brix testing until after Labor Day.

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 8/21/2018 1:10:51 PM >

(in reply to Vino Me)
Post #: 1011
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 8/21/2018 4:51:48 PM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vino Me

What varieties did you pick in August? And what were the brix?

My Pinot Noir was only in the 10-13 brix range last weekend. I went through the vineyard and green harvested about 30 pounds of grapes that I discarded.

VM

Just some random grapes that ideally should be grown north of here. Stuff like Kay Gray, Swenson Red, L'Acadia Blanc and used some extra Somerset seedless (brix between 16-20) Still have grapes hanging on my Lacrosse, Swenson White, Prairie Star, Frontenac Gris, Vidal Blanc, Edelweiss and Aromella vines (all white wine varieties). Plus a few clusters on my Riesling.

My vinifera vines and many of my red varieties are still weeks away.

(in reply to Vino Me)
Post #: 1012
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 8/28/2018 4:51:19 PM   
khmark7

Getting frustrated with the raccoon attacks. Nothing is working, and the raccoons have been able to throw off wire, climb bird netting and continue to destroy my crop. Also need to put together a better program to control the grape berry moth, which is causing a lot of damage and rot this time of year.

Not sure my remaining vines will last until they properly ripen. Still have a few weeks.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 1013
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 8/29/2018 3:07:54 AM   
musedir

Tough news Karl, and so come to harvest. The shietz you growers have to put up with every year is amazing. And yet you come bac for more. Good luck!

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 1014
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 8/29/2018 4:27:07 AM   
khmark7

Tom, it is always a learning process. Things you can do better or different in upcoming years so that you avoid the frustrations.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 1015
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 9/13/2018 2:41:26 PM   
Vino Me

After a rainy August, we've had some warm and dry weather this last week in SW Michigan which is just what we needed. Picking the grapes for the PetNat, Rose and Blanc de Noir this weekend. I will let the rest of the Pinot Noir for the red hang for another week. Will have to take a close look at the pH levels in the grapes since the wet August likely increased potassium uptake in the vines.

VM

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 1016
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 9/13/2018 5:02:06 PM   
khmark7

Picked the last of my grapes today. The raccoon(s) made a mess and i didn't want to wait any longer.

(in reply to Vino Me)
Post #: 1017
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 9/14/2018 1:11:52 PM   
champagneinhand

quote:

Picked the last of my grapes today. The raccoon(s) made a mess and i didn't want to wait any longer.

I did the same yesterday. Even though I’m just making jelly this year, I didn’t bet and it seemed like every squirrel, chipmunk and Jay were doing a free for all. I’ll have to sweeten up the jelly as I only had about enough settled juice for 3 bottles of wine. Crittters easily took 3x as much of the fruit in this last week. But next year I should, with decent weather and nets get 2 cases. I should only have to plant 5-6 vines. Grass nazi neighbor uses too much herbicide and it’s drainjng to my lower quadrant. I’ll dig a meter deep trench to fill with drainage rock on the property line. I might have to plant hybrid grapes done at that end.

Oh well, another season is over. I should get several jars of jelly. I saved the skins from my one good PG vine as Mrs. CiH is opposed to light green jelly. Silly I know, but she’s a nurse. It could be blood red or colored like baby diarrhea, but not anything to remind her of the respiratory system.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 1018
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 9/14/2018 4:49:19 PM   
khmark7

Dave you should just go into the woods and pick some wild grapes to darken the jelly, they do just fine.

Post #: 1019
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 9/19/2018 1:18:40 PM   
Vino Me

I ended up harvesting 141 lbs for a Blanc de Noir and Rose' from 45 of the 350 vines that will produce grapes this year. At that yield per vine I should get another 800-900 lbs for my dry Pinot Noir. That is a full barrel. Didn't expect that much this year.

VM

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 1020
Page:   <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Growing Your Own Grapes Page: <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI