CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

2014 Secret Santa Reveal Day Thread - BAD Santas - DONE!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> 2014 Secret Santa Reveal Day Thread - BAD Santas - DONE! Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2014 Secret Santa Reveal Day Thread - BAD Santas - DONE! - 12/6/2014 12:00:07 PM   
crispino

Welcome!

This is the Reveal Day thread for the Bad Santas. If you see your name below, this is your group! I have listed everyone by their forum username in alphabetical order.

The Bad Santas: (Results updated through Post #166)
Recipient    -          Wine(s) Received        -          Santa Revealed

1. arthrovine - 2010 Côte Bonneville Syrah DuBrul Vineyard AND 2012 Goat Rocks Winery Cabernet Franc Fewel Family Estates Vineyard AND 2012 Goat Rocks Winery Syrah - ChrisinSunnyside
2. caeleric - 2010 Gorman Winery The Evil Twin - firefly78
3. ChrisinSunnyside - 2007 Il Poggione (Proprietá Franceschi) Brunello di Montalcino - leothegecko
4. ern1 - 2011 Rudius Cabernet Sauvignon - ShawnM789
5. Exit 105 - 2004 Den Hoed Cabernet Sauvignon Andreas Wallula Vineyard - Franklin 10
6. firefly78 - 2012 Myriad Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Three Twins Vineyard AND 2007 Château de Myrat - yogi8938
7. FlatWater - 2001 Feudi di San Gregorio Irpinia Serpico - oskiwawa
8. Franklin 10 - 2009 Château Le Prieure - Soxgirl
9. Hollowine - 2007 Domaine Huet Vouvray Sec Clos du Bourg AND 2006 Fontodi Syrah Case Via Colli della Toscana Centrale IGT - arthrovine
10. leothegecko - 2012 Pine Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley - wadcorp
11. markandsusanw - 2011 L'Aventure Estate Cuvée - Tvall13
12. musedir - 2012 David Duband Gevrey-Chambertin - ssimpsonjr
13. mwest - 2006 Le Cadeau Pinot Noir Côte Est - Wine Gopher
14. oskiwawa - 2011 Cameron Chardonnay Blanc Abbey Ridge AND 2011 Cameron Pinot Noir Abbey Ridge - schwank
15. Redrunners - 2009 La Sirena Le Barrettage - ern1
16. schwank - 2007 C.V.N.E. (Compañía Vinícola del Norte de España) Rioja Imperial Gran Reserva - vinopkm
17. ShawnM789 - 2008 Château Branaire-Ducru - musedir
18. Soxgirl - 2007 Mark Ryan Dead Horse Ciel du Cheval Vineyard - Hollowine
19. ssimpsonjr - 2012 David Duband Gevrey-Chambertin - FlatWater
20. Tvall13 - 2010 K Vintners Syrah The Hidden Northridge Vineyard Wahluke Slope - Redrunners
21. vinopkm - 2012 Tenuta Sette Ponti Oreno Toscana IGT - Exit 105
22. wadcorp - 1996 Turley Petite Syrah Hayne Vineyard - caeleric
23. Wine Gopher - 2004 Poggio il Castellare Brunello di Montalcino - markandsusanw
24. yogi8938 - 2007 Cayuse Syrah En Cerise Vineyard - mwest

This first post will serve as the master list for this group, so refer back to it often! After each person’s name I will post what wine he/she received, once it’s been revealed. Whenever someone correctly guesses their Santa, I will put a strikethrough line through their Santa’s name, like so. So, if a name is crossed out on the list above, then that person has already been identified as someone’s Santa. We’ll keep goin’ until everyone’s been identified!

I know not everyone plays the guessing game with the same level of gusto, and that is fine. However, everyone should, at a minimum, do the following:

- Post what you received
- Say thank you!
- Make at least a guess or two, if you are so moved (although you should feel free to take some time to sleuth about first)
- If you decide to drink your wine right away, feel free to post a tasting note and/or story
- Have fun!

Important: if someone guesses you as their Santa, please post whether or not they’re right. This means that even if you are not following the thread very closely, you should at least check in periodically and scan the posts to see if someone’s guessed you. As Head Elf, I reserve the right to post your answer for you if enough time goes by and you are just leaving somebody hanging. I doubt I will have to do this, but just be aware that a minimum amount of participation from everyone is needed to keep the game moving along and fun for all.

Don’t forget that you can ask your Santa for a hint if you are stuck! Santas can also provide a hint if they like, although you may want to wait until your recipient specifically asks, so as not to spoil it for someone who likes a challenge. Mysterious statements cloaked in subterfuge are always a source of amusement...

Personally I love all the sleuthing and the guessing, but I know some people are just not that into it. Hopefully this helpful listing of names will provide some assistance for those who have trouble keeping up with the craziness. I will try to update it at least once a day.

One last note: the posts move fast and furious in this event, especially at the beginning when everyone is revealing their wines and starting to make guesses. So, at least for the time being, we ask that you please post only in your own group’s thread - it helps keep the traffic at a manageable level. Feel free to follow both threads, of course! Depending on the amount of traffic, we may relax this rule – I mean, I like fun banter as much as the next guy.

That’s it! So, without further ado, start ripping open them packages and tell us what you got! Have fun and Happy Secret Santa to all!

- Chris (crispino)

< Message edited by crispino -- 12/10/2014 3:05:44 PM >

CT Secret Santa Compendium
CT Santa Profile
Post #: 1
RE: 2014 Secret Santa Reveal Day Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/6/2014 12:08:07 PM   
ShawnM789

re post in right area, sorry Chris.. 2008 Château Branaire-Ducru fo me, very nice! thank you to my SS, nice little note as well. Now to start figuring out who he/she is.... No even an idea yet. Wine came from NY store.

(in reply to crispino)
Post #: 2
RE: 2014 Secret Santa Reveal Day Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/6/2014 12:09:29 PM   
leothegecko

And my wine is....

2012 Pine Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon

Thank you, Secret Santa!! (Whoever you are)

I don't know anything about them, but definitely look forward to it!

I will take a little time to do some research before I start making my wild guesses as to who was nice enough to send this! This wine had to be sent to a local store to be delivered (Massachusetts), but I think there's a clue that may help me to figure it out.

(in reply to crispino)
Post #: 3
RE: 2014 Secret Santa Reveal Day Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/6/2014 12:11:02 PM   
ShawnM789

First Guess is Chris - Redrunners ??

quote:

ORIGINAL: ShawnM789

re post in right area, sorry Chris.. 2008 Château Branaire-Ducru fo me, very nice! thank you to my SS, nice little note as well. Now to start figuring out who he/she is.... No even an idea yet. Wine came from NY store.

(in reply to ShawnM789)
Post #: 4
RE: 2014 Secret Santa Reveal Day Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/6/2014 12:14:20 PM   
Redrunners

Good guess (that is where I often buy my wine).....

But not me.

Drinking good wine with good food in the company of friends is one of life's great pleasures.

(in reply to ShawnM789)
Post #: 5
RE: 2014 Secret Santa Reveal Day Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/6/2014 12:16:14 PM   
Redrunners

Got mine - 2009 La Sirena Le Barrettage.

This is a new one for me. Looking forward to trying.

To my CT Secret Santa - This is from Calistoga, where we usually stay when we are in Napa.
It was shipped from Omaha Wine Company, with no hints inside....

Now the hunt begins.

< Message edited by Redrunners -- 12/6/2014 12:17:20 PM >

Drinking good wine with good food in the company of friends is one of life's great pleasures.

(in reply to Redrunners)
Post #: 6
RE: 2014 Secret Santa Reveal Day Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/6/2014 12:23:51 PM   
leothegecko

quote:

ORIGINAL: leothegecko

I will take a little time to do some research before I start making my wild guesses as to who was nice enough to send this! This wine had to be sent to a local store to be delivered (Massachusetts), but I think there's a clue that may help me to figure it out.

It turns out the clue is more like a screaming neon sign. They managed to put my Santa's name inside the box under the bill-to information, so I know exactly who it is. Unless of course it's some trickery...

Wadcorp, are you the one I get to thank?

(in reply to leothegecko)
Post #: 7
RE: 2014 Secret Santa Reveal Day Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/6/2014 12:24:06 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

2007 Il Poggione BdM.  I love love love BdM, and this will be enjoyed with my family next weekend (our holiday get together this year).

There is a nice note inside with lots of clues, kid(s) birthyear wine, they have another vintage in their cellar, so I'll have some fun sleuthing.  So far no guesses, though the clues will certainly narrow the field.

Thank you very much Secret Santa and I'll be back!

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to Redrunners)
Post #: 8
RE: 2014 Secret Santa Reveal Day Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/6/2014 12:28:21 PM   
musedir

Again, this is me doing my happy dance although heading down the Burgundy road is a most dangerous journey. But a wonderful journey.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 9
RE: 2014 Secret Santa Reveal Day Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/6/2014 12:28:44 PM   
Hollowine

Woooooo Hooooo!!!!!

Mine is a two bottle shipper, was wondering what kind of surprise might be in store. Dahm I'm smiling now!

2007 Domaine Huet Clos du Borg Sec (I LOVE Huet!)

AND

2006 Fontodi Syrah Case Via Colli della Toscana Centrale IGT (Never had an Tuscan Syrah, but love my some Syrah!)

There are some clues, but I'm in a hotel with my hungry family and will have to make my guesses later today.

Thank You!

Post #: 10
RE: 2014 Secret Santa Reveal Day Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/6/2014 12:45:22 PM   
firefly78

I got a double shipper too!! Must have been good this year and probably ended up in the wrong thread (..again).

I got a

2012 Myriad Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon

And a

2007 Château de Myrat

I am quite sure i will enjoy both!!

Looking at community holdings, I think I need to say thank you yogi8938!!

Of course i could be wrong

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 11
RE: 2014 Secret Santa Reveal Day Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/6/2014 12:45:33 PM   
Redrunners

Not a lot of hints.

No one from CT SS has it in their cellar, and no one has posted any tasting notes.

However, I am going to guess FlatWater.

The bottle is from Omaha, Nebraska - which is their locale.
Also seem to have a concentration of Napa Syrah and French (Cote Rote) wine in their cellar.

Are you my SS?

< Message edited by Redrunners -- 12/6/2014 12:46:44 PM >

Post #: 12
RE: 2014 Secret Santa Reveal Day Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/6/2014 12:55:43 PM   
vinopkm

The fun has started- off to my wine locker shortly to see what Santa sent me.

(in reply to Redrunners)
Post #: 13
RE: 2014 Secret Santa Reveal Day Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/6/2014 12:56:40 PM   
oskiwawa

Woot Woot !!!!!

My " Bad Santa " was certainly a Good Santa.

2011 Cameron Abbey Ridge Chardonnay .... and
2011 Cameron Abbey Ridge Pinot Noir

either my Secret Santa knows what I love or he was very lucky in picking these out. Right up my alley.

Going to go out on a limb. Shipped from Storeyteller and Oregon wines. I see notes on a previous vintage from someone

Arthrovine, are you my SS ?

Going to have the Chardonnay tonight with chicken, kale and bean soup. Can't wait. Dundee Hills makes great wines and I have yet to have had a Cameron.

Thank you very much !!!

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 14
RE: 2014 Secret Santa Reveal Day Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/6/2014 1:08:55 PM   
Exit 105

I receive a great bottle of 2004 DenHoed cabernet from WA state. My SS took the time to study my cellar and chose a wine that is in my wheel house but have never had. Looking forward to pairing with a porterhouse sometime soon.

Awesome job Franklin 10. Much appreciated and happy holidays to you and yours!

- Anthony

(in reply to oskiwawa)
Post #: 15
RE: 2014 Secret Santa Reveal Day Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/6/2014 1:11:39 PM   
caeleric

2010 Gorman winery evil twin red mountain. a tasty looking blend of cab sauv and syrah from one of my top 3 favorite wine regions. well done santa! my guess is musedir!

The Lord says, “Wine, both old and new, is robbing my people of their senses! (‭Hosea‬ ‭4‬:‭11‬ GNB)

what i got

(in reply to Exit 105)
Post #: 16
RE: 2014 Secret Santa Reveal Day Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/6/2014 1:23:06 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: caeleric

2010 Gorman winery evil twin red mountain. a tasty looking blend of cab sauv and syrah from one of my top 3 favorite wine regions. well done santa! my guess is musedir!

I neither confirm nor deny knowing who your Santa is, Chris, but that bottle should be right up your alley.  Really big wines are Chris Gorman's forte, and that one is one of his biggest.  Enjoy!

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 12/6/2014 5:53:21 PM >

(in reply to caeleric)
Post #: 17
RE: 2014 Secret Santa Reveal Day Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/6/2014 1:32:32 PM   
yogi8938

I received 2007 Cayuse syrah En Cerise. I guess Mwest based on his cayuse inventory. Whoever it is, THANKS!! I have been wanting to try some Cayuse!!

(in reply to caeleric)
Post #: 18
RE: 2014 Secret Santa Reveal Day Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/6/2014 1:34:08 PM   
yogi8938

Yes Firefly it is I that is your Santa! I hope you enjoy the wines.

(in reply to yogi8938)
Post #: 19
RE: 2014 Secret Santa Reveal Day Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/6/2014 1:45:12 PM   
musedir

Ssimpson, I know all this immediate guessing looks like a junior varsity basketball scrimmage, but I'm gonna take one from the cheap seats and guess you are my secret Santa since you also have the 2012 G-C in your cellar. Of course, a cheap and flailing guess... Box sent from Delaware.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to yogi8938)
Post #: 20
RE: 2014 Secret Santa Reveal Day Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/6/2014 1:48:15 PM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: yogi8938

I received 2007 Cayuse syrah En Cerise. I guess Mwest based on his cayuse inventory. Whoever it is, THANKS!! I have been wanting to try some Cayuse!!

*Drool*

(in reply to yogi8938)
Post #: 21
RE: 2014 Secret Santa Reveal Day Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/6/2014 2:00:35 PM   
schwank

Opened my brown box this morning to reveal...

2007 Compañía Vinícola del Norte de España Rioja Imperial Gran Reserva

The note astutely hinted that my cellar was lacking on Rioja. The great part is I received the bottle the day before I left for vacation to Barcelona and CdP,. While in Spain we drank Rioja and Priorat and were reminded that we enjoy Spanish wine and the Tempranillo grape. I don't think I have ever kicked down for a Gran Riserva before either so this will be a treat. The few notes look good already, though with my preference for aged wines I might give it a bit more time in the cellar. Maybe!

Judging my the list of BAD Santas and the community holdings, I think I am going to guess leothegecko. Despite his listed location of MA and the wine coming from CA... I know more that a few of us have been sneaky like this in the past, and I know MA laws are weird from having a SS there in previous years. How about it leo?

The gift is greatly appreciated and as always I can depend on my fellow CT''ers to help expand my palate. Thanks!

< Message edited by schwank -- 12/6/2014 2:01:37 PM >

(in reply to crispino)
Post #: 22
RE: 2014 Secret Santa Reveal Day Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/6/2014 2:45:26 PM   
mwest

Hi Yogi8938,
You guessed correctly and I do hope you do enjoy the wine.

Cheers,
Matt

(in reply to schwank)
Post #: 23
RE: 2014 Secret Santa Reveal Day Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/6/2014 2:55:49 PM   
leothegecko

quote:

ORIGINAL: schwank

Opened my brown box this morning to reveal...

2007 Compañía Vinícola del Norte de España Rioja Imperial Gran Reserva

The note astutely hinted that my cellar was lacking on Rioja. The great part is I received the bottle the day before I left for vacation to Barcelona and CdP,. While in Spain we drank Rioja and Priorat and were reminded that we enjoy Spanish wine and the Tempranillo grape. I don't think I have ever kicked down for a Gran Riserva before either so this will be a treat. The few notes look good already, though with my preference for aged wines I might give it a bit more time in the cellar. Maybe!

Judging my the list of BAD Santas and the community holdings, I think I am going to guess leothegecko. Despite his listed location of MA and the wine coming from CA... I know more that a few of us have been sneaky like this in the past, and I know MA laws are weird from having a SS there in previous years. How about it leo?

The gift is greatly appreciated and as always I can depend on my fellow CT''ers to help expand my palate. Thanks!

I am not your Secret Santa. And in fact, I did not have this wine in my cellar until just a few days ago. Then I saw that it was also in Santa's cellar.

(in reply to schwank)
Post #: 24
RE: 2014 Secret Santa Reveal Day Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/6/2014 2:56:58 PM   
musedir

Oh, Secret Santa (Ssimpson or no)... THANK YOU!!! This is quite a nice gift is many ways as well as being a neighborhood pusher's stock and trade.

(in reply to mwest)
Post #: 25
RE: 2014 Secret Santa Reveal Day Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/6/2014 2:58:07 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

leothegecko, are you MY Santa????

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 26
RE: 2014 Secret Santa Reveal Day Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/6/2014 3:02:17 PM   
leothegecko

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinSunnyside

leothegecko, are you MY Santa????

I am indeed your Santa Chris. You mentioned that you like Brunello, and I was far too intimidated to try to pick out something from Washington to get something local to you. I hope you enjoy it.

And I purchased the 2 bottles of the 2007 CUNE Rioja that were just referenced as birth year wines for my twins. I hope I didn't make it too easy for you to figure out.

I'll be interested to hear how this wine is, as a local wine shop has it in stock, and I'm wondering if it will last to their 21st birthday in 2028.

Post #: 27
RE: 2014 Secret Santa Reveal Day Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/6/2014 3:06:31 PM   
mwest

My Santa was very nice and noted that my cellar is young and I like Pinot. I am still sleuthing and will come back with a guess in a bit.

The wine is a 2006 Le Cadeau Pinot Noir Côte Est. At first I saw all the notes by WineIsMyLife and then noted he is not a possibility.

Thank you Santa!

(in reply to mwest)
Post #: 28
RE: 2014 Secret Santa Reveal Day Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/6/2014 3:09:08 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Thanks much leo!  Your 7 year old twins and having the 2001 in your cellar were big clues, (I eliminated all the old foagies   in our pool then started searching cellars for other vintages of this wine.)

Like I said I will open this next weekend when my daughters and granddaughter visit.  I'll be sure to write a note and post it somewhere here.

Thank you again and Cheers!

Post #: 29
RE: 2014 Secret Santa Reveal Day Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/6/2014 3:51:13 PM   
Tvall13

I received 2010 K Vintners The Hidden Vineyard Syrah my guess is Redrunners since he posted that his wine got flagged. Seeing how PA is such a pain in the ass I'm assuming they would be the only people to flag a wine!

PS Fantastic choice of wine! and thank you very much!

< Message edited by Tvall13 -- 12/6/2014 3:53:41 PM >

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> 2014 Secret Santa Reveal Day Thread - BAD Santas - DONE! Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI