CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: NWR: I just read/am reading....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 1/25/2018 8:10:32 AM   
hankj

quote:

ORIGINAL: PinotPhile

The Abolition of Man by C.S. Lewis.

Just finished, but will have to re-read. An intellectual struggle for me. Never read C.S. Lewis before. Makes you think. Now on to a novel to give the gray matter a rest and changeup.

That's some fairly heavy lifting there PinotPhile ;)

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 241
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 1/25/2018 8:15:27 AM   
hankj

quote:

ORIGINAL: wadcorp

She's a heady one too. Have you read Left Hand of Darkness? If I can sniff out my copy I might reread in memoriam.

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 242
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 1/25/2018 11:37:14 AM   
wadcorp

quote:

ORIGINAL: hankj
She's a heady one too. Have you read Left Hand of Darkness? If I can sniff out my copy I might reread in memoriam.

What's wild is I had just been re-reading, for the first time in 40 years. Note the bookmark.

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 243
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 1/25/2018 12:29:20 PM   
hankj

quote:

ORIGINAL: wadcorp

quote:

What's wild is I had just been re-reading, for the first time in 40 years. Note the bookmark.

Yeah quite the coincidence. I don't think I've ever been in the midst of reading a book when the author died; must be a bit of a dislocating experience.

Probably butchering these details, but wasn't it that her dad was a scientist and her mom in something like anthropology? Boy doesn't that make the ideal set up for a writer of serious sci-fi ...

Edit: no, dad Anthropologist, mom writer. That and and growing up in Berkeley surrounded by the university community is also a pretty solid nest for fostering sci-fi chops. She was a giant in her genre.

< Message edited by hankj -- 1/25/2018 12:45:34 PM >

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 244
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 1/25/2018 12:40:44 PM   
hankj

I'm going to paste in a list of quotes from Le Guin - I remember her mostly for her high-concept allegory, but boy could she turn a pithy phrase. Oddly maybe, her quotable aspects remind me of Henry Miller's (if he dispensed with the throat clearing and got right to it).

It is good to have an end to journey toward, but it is the journey that matters in the end.

Love doesn't just sit there, like a stone; it has to be made, like bread, remade all the time, made new.

When you light a candle, you also cast a shadow.

Morning comes whether you set the alarm or not.

All of us have to learn how to invent our lives, make them up, imagine them. We need to be taught these skills; we need guides to show us how. If we don’t, our lives get made up for us by other people.

The unread story is not a story; it is little black marks on wood pulp. The reader, reading it, makes it live: a live thing, a story.

My imagination makes me human and makes me a fool; it gives me all the world and exiles me from it.
We are volcanoes. When we women offer our experience as our truth, as human truth, all the maps change. There are new mountains.

I talk about the gods, I am an atheist. But I am an artist too, and therefore a liar. Distrust everything I say. I am telling the truth.

We read books to find out who we are.

< Message edited by hankj -- 1/25/2018 12:44:45 PM >

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 245
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 1/25/2018 1:10:10 PM   
Slye

Nice set of quotations Henry. Thanks for sharing them!

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 246
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 1/25/2018 2:17:10 PM   
wadcorp

quote:

I'm going to paste in a list of quotes from Le Guin - I remember her mostly for her high-concept allegory, but boy could she turn a pithy phrase.

You missed my favorite:

"What sane person could live in this world and not be crazy?"

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 247
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 1/29/2018 7:52:14 PM   
sawtooth

Just finished Lincoln In The Bardo by George Saunders which won the 2017 Man Booker prize.

Ultimately, I think it fails as a novel simply because it isn't a novel, but more of a stage play marketed as a novel. Saunders has writing talent coming out his ears but the structure of the book took away from my ability to enjoy it. To be clear, I appreciate experimental novels but this experiment failed in my view.

As an aside, it's a 300 page book that reads like a hundred page novella because each page looks like a script. A days worth

Just started 4321 by Paul Auster. This one should take a little longer weighing in at ~850 pages. 50 pages in and it's great so far.

-af

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 248
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 1/30/2018 8:15:18 AM   
wineismylife

Thanks for the comments. I was really close to putting Lincoln in the Bardo on my To-Read shelf but held off. Think I'll pass. I have a big enough backlog anyway.

Joe

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ http://www.wineismylife.net/

(in reply to sawtooth)
Post #: 249
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 1/30/2018 10:54:16 AM   
lockestep

quote:

ORIGINAL: wineismylife

Thanks for the comments. I was really close to putting Lincoln in the Bardo on my To-Read shelf but held off. Think I'll pass. I have a big enough backlog anyway.

I hesitated before adding it to my list. But I really liked Civilwarland in Bad Decline, so added it despite mixed feelings from the reviews. The OCD part of me won't let me take it off the list once it is on.
Currently reading Alistair Horne's Hubris: the Tragedy of War in the 20th Century . Thesis is the great battle victories of the early century led directly to defeats later on - the Japanese destruction of the Russian Fleet at Port Authur led them to employ the same strategy when attacking the US; French success at Verdun led to the construction of and reliance on the Maginot Line.

My Wine of the Month (2/24)
2016 Vincent Pinot Noir Bjornson Vineyard

(in reply to wineismylife)
Post #: 250
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 1/30/2018 11:00:47 AM   
wineismylife

That sounds interesting.

Joe

(in reply to lockestep)
Post #: 251
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 1/30/2018 1:12:41 PM   
wineismylife

Today I finished reading my fourth book of 2018. “A Short History of Nearly Everything” by Bill Bryson. I’ve read other books by Bill Bryson prior to this and decided recently to go back and read others I haven't as of yet including this one. I found it a pleasurable read, a layman’s explanation of the history of the universe, birth of the Planet Earth, evolution of man, etc… Good story line delivered with Bill Bryson’s characteristic wit. I enjoyed it.

Joe

Post #: 252
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 1/30/2018 4:33:22 PM   
bretrooks

quote:

ORIGINAL: lockestep

quote:

I hesitated before adding it to my list. But I really liked Civilwarland in Bad Decline, so added it despite mixed feelings from the reviews. The OCD part of me won't let me take it off the list once it is on.

My wife and I both enjoyed Lincoln in the Bardo (we're fans of multiple Saunders books), but I totally understand how the form could be off-putting. It took me a little while to get into it, and I agree that it definitely reads more like a play or, at times, like a Ken Burns documentary than like a novel.

WSET L3 in Wines
My Cellar

(in reply to lockestep)
Post #: 253
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 2/9/2018 1:53:01 PM   
wineismylife

Today I finished reading my fifth book of 2018. “The Lies of Locke Lamora” by Scott Lynch. This is my first book by this author and I really liked it. Kind of Game of Thrones and Name of the Wind meets Ocean’s 11 fantasy book. Pretty cool. Fast paced. Easy read.

Joe

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 254
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 2/9/2018 2:41:16 PM   
hankj

quote:

Today I finished reading my fourth book of 2018. “A Short History of Nearly Everything” by Bill Bryson. I’ve read other books by Bill Bryson prior to this and decided recently to go back and read others I haven't as of yet including this one. I found it a pleasurable read, a layman’s explanation of the history of the universe, birth of the Planet Earth, evolution of man, etc… Good story line delivered with Bill Bryson’s characteristic wit. I enjoyed it.

I enjoyed this too, read it as a travel book riding long distance buses around South America. I liked the cosmic scope of it - made strange lands and people seem less foreign via its "we're one in a trillion long shots on a speck of dust" attitude.

Post #: 255
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 2/12/2018 8:43:16 PM   
peeks13

quote:

Look forward to it, just checked it out of the library.

Post #: 256
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 2/12/2018 8:51:01 PM   
peeks13

quote:

ORIGINAL: peeks13

"Cork Dork" by Bianca Bosker. I'm about 2/3rds through and it's an enjoyable read no matter what your level of wine experience, education or curiosity. Something for everyone and each chapter could be a new book.

Just finished it. This is the book that I wish would have been made into "Somm".

(in reply to peeks13)
Post #: 257
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 2/22/2018 6:16:59 AM   
sawtooth

Just finished 4321 by Paul Auster. Great book. This is an "experimental" novel where we see four different permutations of the same young man's life, with the "lifelines" beginning to fork in very early childhood based on the varying choices of those around him.

Rather than telling the story of each lifeline from beginning to end before telling another, he tells the story in blocks of 4'ish years and covers each of the respective permutations in that block before moving to the next one.

Among the top two or three books I've read in the last couple years. It's a long one, but it kept my attention (and delighted me) throughout.

Now onto The Narrow Road to the Deep North.

-af

< Message edited by sawtooth -- 2/22/2018 6:19:07 AM >

(in reply to peeks13)
Post #: 258
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 2/22/2018 1:05:16 PM   
wineismylife

Today I finished reading my sixth book of 2018. “The Siege of Mecca: The Forgotten Uprising in Islam’s Holiest Shrine and the Birth of al-Qaeda” by Yaroslav Trofimov. Although I had a good basic understanding of most of the history that serves as the story line of this book it was nice to have a simple, easy to read refresher text that also managed to fill in a few details I didn’t recall. A quick and easy read if you’d like to get a handle on some of the history that eventually led to the birth of al-Qaeda, This book is recommended.

Thanks to Hollowine for recommending this book to me.

Joe

(in reply to sawtooth)
Post #: 259
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 2/22/2018 5:59:40 PM   
skifree

Enjoying Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World by Jack Weatherford. So far a balanced portrait of an extraordinary man.

So much wine, so little time

Post #: 260
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 2/28/2018 1:55:16 PM   
wineismylife

Just finished “The Wright Brothers” by David McCullough. I’ve read a couple of David’s books in the past and thoroughly enjoyed them so I decided to give this one a whirl. Solid writing with a good account of the Wright Brothers lives from birth to death, obviously heavily focused on their accomplishments in aviation. I enjoyed it and would recommend it if you’re into American History and/or aviation.

Joe

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 261
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 2/28/2018 2:33:26 PM   
WineGuyCO

A friend from Napoli was here last week and he left me Suburra in Italian to read. I pretty much LOVE all things Mafia related so will be interesting. My spoken Italian is very good but reading it is more challenging and will take me a while. I will need a dictionary for all of the words I don't know.

I offered him Capo Dei Capi in Italian about Toto Rina who just recently died but he had already read it so I traded him an Italian/Napulitano, Napulitano/Italian Dictionary that I bought when I was in Napoli last time. He was ecstatic to have it as most Naples dialect is spoken and not written. It was fun to watch his face light up reading it and words that he knew but hadn't heard in a long time in Napulitano. I couldn't pronounce the dialect words anyway so it's better for him. I told him that he needs to teach me the dialect sometime.

Rick

Post #: 262
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 3/1/2018 8:39:54 AM   
cookiefiend

quote:

Today I finished reading my second book of 2018. “The Book Thief” by Markus Zusak. I’ve been meaning to read this book for years but never got around to it. I finally read it on eBook on loan from the library and made pretty quick work of it finishing it in a little over 5 days. It is easy to read with a good flow and interesting story line. It takes a bit of getting used to up front with the cryptic introduction to each “Part” of the book but after a few sections you’re in flow with the book and onto the story line. Good read. I enjoyed it.

quote:

I love both of these books, especially The Book Thief.
Bill Bryson's books are fun, this particular one really helped me to understand just how BIG our solar system is.

So far this year I've read 5 books:
The Nest by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney
Bird Box by Josh Malarian
The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehouse
Sleeping Beauties by Stephen King and Owen King
Paris in Love by Eloisa James

I'm currently reading Hawaii by James Mitchner.

< Message edited by cookiefiend -- 3/1/2018 8:46:10 AM >

Dawn

'After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.'
Aldous Huxley

Post #: 263
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 3/2/2018 10:27:01 AM   
ckinv368

Finished "Cork Dork" a couple of weeks ago, and am half-way through a book called "Empty Mansions" about the reclusive but really fascinating life of copper heiress Huguette Clark, who died at 104 after staying in a NYC hospital for over 20 years (she wasn't sick--she just liked the place). Her dad was the robber baron and US Senator William A. Clark.

32 Yolks by Eric Ripert is probably next.

After the two bottles of claret, we had three bottles of Krug . . . one for love, one for country, and one for symmetry. -- A.J. Liebling

When in doubt, sip your dessert.

(in reply to cookiefiend)
Post #: 264
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 3/3/2018 10:32:48 AM   
PinotPhile

Around the World in 80 Wines by Mike Veseth. Mike does the Wine Economist blog and has written several interesting books on one of my fav topics.

So far, a well-done, enjoyable and educational read.

Bibliophile Cheers!

(in reply to ckinv368)
Post #: 265
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 3/4/2018 1:09:50 PM   
wineismylife

Yesterday finished “Exit West” by Mohsin Hamid. I thought it was a nice storyline. Two people in a war ravaged country falling in and later out of love. Quick and easy read. Finished it in under 24 hours. I liked it but didn’t love it. Read it because it is the PBS Newshour and NYT book of the month for March.

Joe

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 266
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 3/9/2018 8:30:15 AM   
wineismylife

Last night finished “Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania” by Erik Larson. I really enjoyed this book. I knew the 30,000 foot overview of the sinking of the Lusitania and that it eventually led up to American joining WWI but this book provided a lot of extra details to the entire voyage I hadn’t know before. It also very much humanized the people aboard giving names and “faces” so to speak to them as opposed to simply passing them by as faceless“souls lost”. It was an easy read, well written and constructed. Recommended.

Joe

Post #: 267
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 3/9/2018 10:48:07 AM   
PinotPhile

The World Atlas of Wine, 2007 edition. Hugh Johnson & Jancis Robinson.

This has been superseded, but DH obtained this edition at a secondhand store and so much does not change. Going through it selectively to reacquaint with some of the basics. Much useful info. Learned last night how variation between bottles of the same wine is more likely in high-volume productions. Had an example of that recently in my own experience.

The geeking goes on.

Post #: 268
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 3/9/2018 12:50:55 PM   
ckinv368

quote:

Last night finished “Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania” by Erik Larson. I really enjoyed this book. I knew the 30,000 foot overview of the sinking of the Lusitania and that it eventually led up to American joining WWI but this book provided a lot of extra details to the entire voyage I hadn’t know before. It also very much humanized the people aboard giving names and “faces” so to speak to them as opposed to simply passing them by as faceless“souls lost”. It was an easy read, well written and constructed. Recommended.

In reading a different book, the sinking of the Lusitania was mentioned. I found it fascinating that so many society figures received "anonymous" telegrams right before sailing that warned them not to travel on board the ship. However, a Vanderbilt went down with the ship. As did many others.

After the two bottles of claret, we had three bottles of Krug . . . one for love, one for country, and one for symmetry. -- A.J. Liebling

When in doubt, sip your dessert.

Post #: 269
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 3/12/2018 1:30:00 PM   
wineismylife

Actually, Germany took out ads in newspapers the evening before the ship sailed warning everybody not to board as they would sink the ship.

Joe

(in reply to ckinv368)
Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI