CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers Page: <<   < prev  102 103 [104] 105 106   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 6/27/2018 4:05:45 PM   
tankofwine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott W

quote:

ORIGINAL: tankofwine

2014 Chateau Rauzan-Segla, Margaux. $30 at the Mt. Vernon, Alexandria, VA, Costco. I think they have around 20 bottles left.

Wow that's a good deal!

Crazy, right? I couldn't find it listed for under $65 anywhere else. We tried one just to be sure, then I bought a half case the next day. I'm wondering if we should clear them out of the rest.

(in reply to Scott W)
Post #: 3091
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 6/27/2018 4:57:08 PM   
jmcmchi

quote:

quote:

quote:

2014 Chateau Rauzan-Segla, Margaux. $30 at the Mt. Vernon, Alexandria, VA, Costco. I think they have around 20 bottles left.

Wow that's a good deal!

Crazy, right? I couldn't find it listed for under $65 anywhere else. We tried one just to be sure, then I bought a half case the next day. I'm wondering if we should clear them out of the rest.

My heart says yes, my mind says no
or maybe it's the other way round That is a very desirable problem to have

(in reply to tankofwine)
Post #: 3092
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 6/27/2018 5:27:03 PM   
AngryPrez

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmcmchi

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wow that's a good deal!

I find myself compelled to quote the line from Little Feat's 'Old Folks Boogie' here -

'And You Know That You're Over the Hill
When Your Mind Makes a Promise That Your Body Can't Fill
Doin' the Old Folks Boogie
And Boogie We Will
'cause to Us the Thought's As Good As a Thrill"

Or maybe this quote is a better fit for the moratorium thread.

I like to drink wine more than I used to. Anyway, I'm drinking more. - Don Corleone

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 3093
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 6/27/2018 9:19:21 PM   
Scott W

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmcmchi

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wow that's a good deal!

Buy them and send them to me

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 3094
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 6/28/2018 1:38:33 PM   
ericindc

Note a smoking deal, as I was perusing K&L's new product feed, I saw they just got tons of 70s Bordeaux, alot at pretty good pricing. Very tempting.

-Eric
Just waiting for my Grand Cru to age.

(in reply to Scott W)
Post #: 3095
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 7/14/2018 11:19:53 AM   
LCHammer

For those in the Chicago area. Garfields wine in Palatine has 15% off all 750ml bottles. Picked up Shafer 1.5 for $72 after discount.
Selection isn't the greatest but they have a fair amount of high end stuff. I noticed O'Shaughnessy Howell Mountain was $90 before discount.
If you're close you may want to check it out but the sale ends today.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 3096
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 7/14/2018 12:07:45 PM   
Wineguy55

You folks that live near Costcos that carry excellent wine year round, have no idea how good you have it. I am sure I can get a cheap btl of Kirkland sparkling wine, but not much more. There are 3 locations in my state only one of which sells any Bordeaux this time of year. They had a pedestrian Legende and a Fonbadet which they sell for about $3 less than I can buy at locally and is not a wine that thrills me. The other 2 locations only sell Bordeaux seasonally from fall through Xmas. I will check back then to see what they sell. Not complaining just sharing the situation, and fortunately I am constantly finding great deals on email blasts. So perhaps this is good as it curtails my buying at least a little.

(in reply to LCHammer)
Post #: 3097
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 7/14/2018 7:00:32 PM   
skifree

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericindc

Note a smoking deal, as I was perusing K&L's new product feed, I saw they just got tons of 70s Bordeaux, alot at pretty good pricing. Very tempting.

Weirdly, K&L does not ship to Washington State. I likely have more money in the bank because of that.

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to ericindc)
Post #: 3098
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 7/14/2018 8:12:39 PM   
Slye

Oh that must be a bit new. I am pretty sure I have bought from them, but it was probably at least a few years ago.

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 3099
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 7/15/2018 7:20:40 PM   
Quiet Lion

quote:

ORIGINAL: skifree
Weirdly, K&L does not ship to Washington State. I likely have more money in the bank because of that.

It does say that on the site but unless something has changed recently that only applies to spirits. I have had many cases of wine shipped to WA from K&L.

QL

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 3100
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 7/16/2018 12:14:05 AM   
SLIMES

I recently grabbed a six-pack of Taittinger Comtes de Champagne 2006 for £360 duty paid.

Apparently Marks and Spencer acquired a load before Xmas and it didn't sell. They marked it d.own to £90 and then £80. When they next do a 25% off six, it might be an idea to grab a few bottles at £60 each.

(in reply to Quiet Lion)
Post #: 3101
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 7/16/2018 6:44:41 AM   
Slye

quote:

ORIGINAL: SLIMES

I recently grabbed a six-pack of Taittinger Comtes de Champagne 2006 for £360 duty paid.

Apparently Marks and Spencer acquired a load before Xmas and it didn't sell. They marked it d.own to £90 and then £80. When they next do a 25% off six, it might be an idea to grab a few bottles at £60 each.

Oh wow, that is a nice deal.

(in reply to SLIMES)
Post #: 3102
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 7/16/2018 9:57:11 AM   
Old Doug

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wineguy55

You folks that live near Costcos that carry excellent wine year round, have no idea how good you have it. I am sure I can get a cheap btl of Kirkland sparkling wine, but not much more. There are 3 locations in my state only one of which sells any Bordeaux this time of year. They had a pedestrian Legende and a Fonbadet which they sell for about $3 less than I can buy at locally and is not a wine that thrills me. The other 2 locations only sell Bordeaux seasonally from fall through Xmas. I will check back then to see what they sell. Not complaining just sharing the situation, and fortunately I am constantly finding great deals on email blasts. So perhaps this is good as it curtails my buying at least a little.

Makes total sense to me. A Costco employee told me they don't mark anything up more than 15% - fairly profound thing, right there.

(in reply to Wineguy55)
Post #: 3103
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 7/16/2018 11:37:02 AM   
PinotPhile

We have a Costco locally that is apparently a star performer when it comes to wine sales. Limited selection, decent prices, but for non-Kirkland wines I can usually find better deals at a LWS. Took years for me to try Kirkland. The Pinot Grigio is decent and well under $10. Found Jadot Beaujolais-Villages for about $10 as well.

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 3104
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 7/16/2018 3:16:24 PM   
Eddie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Old Doug

Makes total sense to me. A Costco employee told me they don't mark anything up more than 15% - fairly profound thing, right there.

I doubt that holds true in KY; prices for some wines at Costco here are 30% higher (or more) than I see for the same wines offered for sale in coastal states. Sometimes they have bargains, though.

Locally, prices at Total Wine are often better than at Costco, when both offer the same wine (and I wouldn't call Total Wine a "discount retailer".)

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 3105
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 7/16/2018 4:43:00 PM   
BobMilton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eddie

quote:

I doubt that holds true in KY; prices for some wines at Costco here are 30% higher (or more) than I see for the same wines offered for sale in coastal states. Sometimes they have bargains, though.

Locally, prices at Total Wine are often better than at Costco, when both offer the same wine (and I wouldn't call Total Wine a "discount retailer".)

My local Costco is about 10% cheaper than Total Wine when they have they same wine. And my Costco has been known to carry Screaming Eagle, Petrus, d"yquem and a few other jewels (even a very old Johnny Wlaker priced at a nickel below 20grand - and they sold it!). Of course I don't but those (being retired definitely makes it impossible).

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 3106
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 7/16/2018 5:11:08 PM   
WineGuyCO

I look every time I'm in Costco and honestly there aren't and wines (Reds) that I'm interested in buying. I think I've just twisted myself up into a pretzel with this High Quality, Limited Production thing. I do buy Beringer Reserve Chard for my wife and daughter for $24.99 which is incredible since the local stores have it for $34 plus most of the time. I wish I liked white wine but don't.
There are for sure great buys on liquor which I usually walk out with. I keep looking though. If somebody in SoCal sees something amazing please let me know but I haven't seen it.

Rick

(in reply to BobMilton)
Post #: 3107
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 7/16/2018 5:12:49 PM   
jmcmchi

quote:

ORIGINAL: BobMilton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eddie

quote:

My local Costco is about 10% cheaper than Total Wine when they have they same wine. And my Costco has been known to carry Screaming Eagle, Petrus, d"yquem and a few other jewels (even a very old Johnny Wlaker priced at a nickel below 20grand - and they sold it!). Of course I don't but those (being retired definitely makes it impossible).

Strange to see those differences. Excise duties can't account for them as the following won't make a 30% difference on the price of a bottle
"Kentucky has the highest wine excise tax rate at $3.17 per gallon, followed by Alaska ($2.50), Florida ($2.25), Iowa ($1.75), and New Mexico and Alabama (tied at $1.70). The five states with the lowest wine excise rates are California ($0.20), Texas ($0.20), Wisconsin ($0.25), Kansas ($0.30), and New York ($0.30)" (source; taxfoundation.org)
That said, I have found inconsistencies in Costco pricing across states; most wines in Hawaii seem slightly more expensive than on the W coast, but I have found a few (e.g. Tignanello) that were cheaper

(in reply to BobMilton)
Post #: 3108
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 7/16/2018 5:17:30 PM   
WineGuyCO

California has low liquor prices but we get soaked on everything else.

Rick

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 3109
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 7/16/2018 5:46:42 PM   
Eddie

I think a lot of the difference is at the wholesale level. Wholesale markup here is around 40%.

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 3110
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 7/22/2018 3:24:47 PM   
MindMuse

2012 Qupe Roussanne Bien Nacido Hillside Estate at Last Bottle currently. $20

Don't be put off by a 2012 California Roussane - this is still brilliant stuff, and I think 2014 is a new release.
Bob Lindquist brought some of this to a High Museum event in Atlanta and it was outstanding. When Last Bottle offered it recently at $20 I bought six. I friend had also tasted and bought it, and we've each had it a half dozen times. All bottles have been outstanding. If antything, Vinous/Galloni 92 is spot on or conservative. I just picked up four more. (At $20 delivered this is this is a fantastic deal.)

One caveat: you will be tempted to drink this too cold. It is MUCH better at red wine temps than at your typical white temp. Actually, it's probably even better at about 65+F. You should make a note of this and thank me later.

... she uncorked it and put it to her lips. "I know something interesting is sure to happen," she said to herself, "whenever I eat or drink anything; so I'll just see what this bottle does."
- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 3111
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 7/22/2018 3:28:31 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

I lurve a good roussanne. Thanks Dennis. Good to see you.

ETA must have just missed it. Oh well, saved myself $100

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 7/22/2018 3:31:15 PM >

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to MindMuse)
Post #: 3112
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 7/22/2018 3:55:21 PM   
Slye

Oh darn -- I missed it too! Sounds like a great deal.

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 3113
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 7/22/2018 7:44:34 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: MindMuse

2012 Qupe Roussanne Bien Nacido Hillside Estate at Last Bottle currently. $20

Don't be put off by a 2012 California Roussane - this is still brilliant stuff, and I think 2014 is a new release.
Bob Lindquist brought some of this to a High Museum event in Atlanta and it was outstanding. When Last Bottle offered it recently at $20 I bought six. I friend had also tasted and bought it, and we've each had it a half dozen times. All bottles have been outstanding. If antything, Vinous/Galloni 92 is spot on or conservative. I just picked up four more. (At $20 delivered this is this is a fantastic deal.)

One caveat: you will be tempted to drink this too cold. It is MUCH better at red wine temps than at your typical white temp. Actually, it's probably even better at about 65+F. You should make a note of this and thank me later.

Saratoga Wine Exchange has it for $40 a bottle.... but if you buy 6, it's down to $21.60 - and if you buy 12, down to just over $20 a bottle:

https://www.saratogawine.com/Qupe-Roussanne-Bien-Nacido-Hillside-Estate-2012-750ml.html?utm_source=winesearcher&utm_medium=paidprodlisting&utm_content=800785&utm_campaign=prodfeeds

Shazam!

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to MindMuse)
Post #: 3114
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 7/22/2018 7:46:09 PM   
Slye

Oh damn you! :-)

Edit: NOT that I was tempted, but shipping of six to Seattle was about $35. So that pretty much determined it. Well I was never going to buy. But if I were, the shipping would be too much. But let the record be clear that I had no interest in this offer........

< Message edited by Slye -- 7/22/2018 7:49:08 PM >

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 3115
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 7/22/2018 7:51:38 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Slye

But let the record be clear that I had no interest in this offer........

Rrrrrriiiiigggggghhhhhhtttttt. Checking the shipping amount (which is done AFTER you put the wine in your cart and proceed to checkout) was purely an hypothetical exercise, eh?

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 3116
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 7/22/2018 9:11:04 PM   
MindMuse

Darn, sorry y'all missed.

Maybe I'll carry one NW next trip.

Post #: 3117
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 7/22/2018 10:11:12 PM   
Slye

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Slye

But let the record be clear that I had no interest in this offer........

Rrrrrriiiiigggggghhhhhhtttttt. Checking the shipping amount (which is done AFTER you put the wine in your cart and proceed to checkout) was purely an hypothetical exercise, eh?

Oh yeah. Completely hypothetical. I had no intention of buying. Never. Ever.

Post #: 3118
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 7/23/2018 6:03:40 AM   
Poppacork

Our local Costco doesnt carry a very good wine selection. Just based on other posts here, it seems like the quality of their selection varies depending on the local market.

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 3119
RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers - 7/23/2018 8:31:32 AM   
BobMilton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Poppacork

Our local Costco doesnt carry a very good wine selection. Just based on other posts here, it seems like the quality of their selection varies depending on the local market.

That is true. I live about halfway between two, one has things like Petrus and the other is great for beer. (One is near a Rolls Royce dealership, the other near a Chevy dealer). So yeah location matters a lot.

(in reply to Poppacork)
Post #: 3120
Page:   <<   < prev  102 103 [104] 105 106   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Smoking Deals at Wine Retailers Page: <<   < prev  102 103 [104] 105 106   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI