CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: What have you bought this week?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: What have you bought this week? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What have you bought this week? - 10/28/2007 9:21:25 AM   
FLYFISH23

Went our yesterday and bought 3 bottles of 2004 Beccella Cab. The last ones in Los Angeles!  I was suprised.

(in reply to mj)
Post #: 61
RE: What have you bought this week? - 10/28/2007 12:39:17 PM   
GalvezGuy

Big fun this week summer orders coming in.

2004 Provenance Cabernet Sauvignon (2)
2001 Chateau Suduiraut (3) 375
2003 Chateau La Tour Blanche (3) 375
2003 Chateau Lafaurie-Peyraguey (3) 375
2004 Turnbull Cabernet Sauvignon (6) 375
2005 Clos de la Cure (12)
2004 Leoville Barton (12)

Cheers

(in reply to Colonel Lawrence)
Post #: 62
RE: What have you bought this week? - 10/30/2007 6:51:35 AM   
Wrighty

Colonel,

Was the Cordeillan-Bages the Farr offer? 
I tried the first vintage of Tapanappa, it was good but not stunning.  They have also released a Chardonnay from the Tears vineyard (same as Petaluma) which should be good too.  It's being headed up by Brian Croser who founder Petaluma and I believe Bollinger have an interest too.  Think the price put me off buying more, about HK$600 I think and for that I can get recognised great Aussie wine (as abouve).

Shu - I remember the Clos du Papes CDP being hyped as WS likely #1 a couple of years ago so tracked it down.  It wasn't and the wine was 'strange'.

Back to the thread - think I've bought enough for a while, although I'm looking at a bottle of 1967 Cockburn Port from Berry Bros for my brother's 40th this month (which I'm assuming he'll drink with me at Christmas) and a selection from Majestic for a wine night I've been volunteered to organise and Christmans, both back in the UK!  Will let you know if I sneak in any stunners.

Wrighty

Post #: 63
RE: What have you bought this week? - 10/30/2007 8:28:11 AM   
Schu

Thanks Wrighty.  There was one store locally that had it for $67, but they have sold out since all the hype (and Spectators latest review) has hit.  Eh, I'm not worried about trying it... I'm short on storage space currently anyway.

(in reply to Wrighty)
Post #: 64
RE: What have you bought this week? - 10/31/2007 1:42:26 AM   
Ricardo

For the cellar
Olga Raffault Chinon "Les Picasses" 2003 (12)

Everyday stuff from the Calais superstore
Pol Roger Brut NV (12)
Montagny Vieilles Vignes Buxy (6)
Wolf Blass Yellow Label Cabernet Sauvignon (6)
Morgon 'Printemps' Georges Duboeuf (2)
Hidalgo Manzanilla La Gitana (2)
Muscadet Sur Lie Domaine des Hautes Noëlles (2)
Crios Malbec Mendoza (2)
Barbera d'Alba Sucule Villa Lanata (2)
Côtes du Rhône Guigal (2)

Am I imagining things or is Majestic heading down-market? Their catalogue looks a lot more boring to me than it did a year or two ago (or is it where it always was?).

(in reply to Schu)
Post #: 65
RE: What have you bought this week? - 10/31/2007 8:34:57 AM   
Wrighty

Schu - it was the 2003 that I'd track down and was strange but I've not 'hunted' it since.

(in reply to Schu)
Post #: 66
RE: What have you bought this week? - 10/31/2007 1:54:02 PM   
NotNYC

This week was part II of a 2006 vintage Austrian Wachau collection I have started.
Supposed to be an insane vintage so I thought about next summer and some for cellaring.
These are things ready in 2-3 years but that can certainly go longer. Notes are not mine.

A few bottles of each:

Riesling Setzberg Smaragd
Delicate and minerally, brisk citrus – understated, elegant and just very charming.

Riesling Hochrain Smaragd Magnums
Exuberant, layered and complex; what is extraordinary is that everything sings together instead of collapsing into a cacophony. Peaches, apricots, nuts, herbs, and minerality to spare. Mind boggling.

Riesling Singerriedel Smaragd
Slightly more reserved than Hochrain; a quiet beauty of a wine that is finely detailed with impressive depth and extreme purity.

Gruner Veltliner Honivogl Smaragd
Simply one of the pinnacles of the Gruner Veltliner grape. This wine is famous for its gloriously creamy texture, balance and longevity.

(in reply to Wrighty)
Post #: 67
RE: What have you bought this week? - 11/1/2007 7:04:48 AM   
Colonel Lawrence

Yes Paul, I picked up Cordeillan 2000 and 2005 from Farr and the 2003 Tapanappa.  Saw that you weren't too enthralled by the last one, but just a bit late - still just one case.
L.

(in reply to Wrighty)
Post #: 68
RE: What have you bought this week? - 11/1/2007 7:08:01 AM   
Colonel Lawrence

Bought the 2001 La Réserve de Léoville Barton from Majestic.
They're very helpful, buy over the internet/phone and pick it up from my local store when next in Blighty!

First they came for ....................

Post #: 69
RE: What have you bought this week? - 11/1/2007 7:49:03 AM   
Wrighty

Am doing the same with Majestic now, actually e-mailed the store with a description of what I'm after (some off beat old world wines which will never make it to the east) and they're working on suggestions to pick up later in the month.

Wrighty

Post #: 70
RE: What have you bought this week? - 11/1/2007 11:14:15 AM   
GalvezGuy

4 Clos du Mont Olivet Chateauneuf du Pape 2005 - 93WS, 90-93 IWC
These seem to be a decent value at $29.70.  

Looking forward to more shipments from the summer coming in next week.

(in reply to Wrighty)
Post #: 71
RE: What have you bought this week? - 11/1/2007 12:32:15 PM   
mj

Last purchase for October through the Tobin James Wine Club that arrived yesterday:

2006 Tobin James Zinfandel Charisma
2006 Tobin James Sauvignon Blanc Sundance
2005 Tobin James Refosco James Gang Reserve
2005 Tobin James Tempranillo James Gang Reserve
2005 Tobin James Cabernet Sauvignon Silver Reserve
2005 Tobin James Cabernet Sauvignon/Syrah James Gang Reserve
2005 Tobin James Zinfandel RRV
2005 Tobin James Zinfandel Dusi Vineyard

Great over the top fruit filled wines, and a steal at $145 plus shipping. Check their club out...you even get a nice little gift. This allocation was a glass cutting board with one of their wine logo....probably won't get a lot of use, but still a nice little gift.

-mJ

"Sippin' wine, killing time...Trying to solve life's mysteries ." - Bon Jovi
Central Jersey Wine Forum: http://btownwineclub.proboards98.com/

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 72
RE: What have you bought this week? - 11/1/2007 1:39:20 PM   
Ricardo

Well (re. Majestic) I obviously need to get out more! I was looking at their price list for Calais as I am passing through on the way to my in-laws' house and it looks really uninspiring ( I suppose I shouldn't expect too much of the "booze cruise" market, except Pol Roger at <16 quid a bottle is a steal plus they are paying for half my boat trip!)

The UK catalogue which I am now looking at does look better I must say. Thanks for the correction. I know you can always find the odd bottle or three of classed growth Pauillac there at a push but I still think their mid-range stuff is a bit less adventurous than it was. Though they have a nice enough Zin for "mid-week" drinking, Ravenswood Lodi (which I like) at 6.79 if you buy 6 bottles (say 13 bucks).  It's a shame they don't stock all this in Calais though....

Majestic have something in Calais called La Mancha red "party wine" from Spain at 99pee a bottle (that's 2 dollars). I'd have thought the bottle, capsule, label, and cardboard carton would have cost more than that. Makes you wonder doesn't it? 

(in reply to mj)
Post #: 73
RE: What have you bought this week? - 11/2/2007 5:32:16 AM   
mj

Received via FedEx yesterday:

2005 Stefania Cabernet Sauvignon Uvas Creek Vineyard  x 3

-mJ

(in reply to Ricardo)
Post #: 74
RE: What have you bought this week? - 11/2/2007 9:00:17 AM   
fingers

mj,
sounded like a good idea, so I signed up.  Looking forward to the shipment and getting a preview of what Paso Robles is all about!  I'll be exploring up there this spring.  Thanks!

http://www.pasowine.com     is a good start

(in reply to mj)
Post #: 75
RE: What have you bought this week? - 11/2/2007 10:11:01 AM   
mj

Hopefully you'll enjoy their wines as much as I do.  Just be warned that these wines are a little over the top, and not traditional by any sort of the imagination.  Their wines are definitely fruit bombs, and we love them all.  Best part about being a club member is that you have the chance to purchase many reserve wines not readily available to non club members.  Check out their RRV and Dusi zin's.  Absolutely fabulous and very fruit forward!  Congrats on getting signed up!  Hopefully they still have wine to send you for this years Fall shipment, but if not, you can look forward to the Spring club mailing!  Great stuff, but not traditional wines by any means!

-mJ
"Sippin' wine, killing time...Trying to solve life's mysteries ." - Bon Jovi
Central Jersey Wine Forum: http://btownwineclub.proboards98.com/

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 76
RE: What have you bought this week? - 11/3/2007 12:51:30 PM   
deb293

Well, I guess without knowing it I purchased Cayuse's new Bionic Frog ('06) release.  This is what comes of blithely filling out the "wish list" section and actually having it fullfilled (no such luck with Kosta Browne, BTW).  Hope it turns out to be as good as the last one I had.

< Message edited by deb293 -- 11/3/2007 12:54:35 PM >

Post #: 77
RE: What have you bought this week? - 11/6/2007 5:51:16 AM   
Wrighty

Ricardo,

Interestingly haven't heard back from them now in a week.  Will give them a bit longer then chase them up.  Any other UK on-line selections I could look at for a Christmas case?

Wrighty

(in reply to Ricardo)
Post #: 78
RE: What have you bought this week? - 11/6/2007 5:57:13 AM   
Wrighty

I like this thread - makes me realise how often I buy!

Was searching 2004 Bordeaux on CT and found Robert Foley Claret 2004 with LOTS of high scores (61 in total and an average of 95.7) so bought 2 bottles for $114 each (just about CT average) from a NY on-line retailer to send to a friend who will be visiting soon.  Look forward to adding my comments.

Wrighty

(in reply to Wrighty)
Post #: 79
RE: What have you bought this week? - 11/6/2007 12:27:46 PM   
grafstrb

My wife and I visted Paso Robles, CA this past weekend to pick-up a couple wine club shipments (and some other goodies).  Part of me wishes RP wasn't trying so hard to expose the grand secret of Paso's wonderful wines, but on the other hand, wine is meant to be shared and enjoyed with others...therefore, here's what I bought:

2004 Summerwood "Diosa" (Rhone style blend)
2004 Summerwood Syrah
2005 Summerwood Grenache (Denner vineyard fruit)
2005 Denner "Ditch Digger" (Rhone style blend)
2005 Denner Syrah
2005 Booker "Remnat" (Bordeaux style blend)
2005 Linne Calodo "Leona's" (Zin. blend)  (my wine of the weekend)
2005 Villa Creek Garnacha (Denner vineyard fruit)
2003 Dover Canyon Cabernet Sauvignon - Hansen Vineyard

If you enjoy Rhone varietals, you are doing yourself a huge disservice by not trying Paso's wines -- there are many gems!

Post #: 80
RE: What have you bought this week? - 11/6/2007 12:34:09 PM   
grafstrb

To fingers:

Is it too late to call Tobin James and cancel your membership?  (I'm sorry mj, but) Tobin James is literally the worst wine I've tasted in Paso.  Every one of his wines tastes fortified and/or baked, and his alc. levels tend to clock in around 15-16%.  His wines surely present a "love it or hate it" proposition.  I would strongly advise against signing up for the wine club without first tasting his wines.  Yes, there are alot of Tobin James wine club members, so there are alot of people out there who do like his bottlings, however it's appropriate to point out that he has aggressively pushed his wines throughout the country for many a year, so don't be too impressed with the size of membership!

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 81
RE: What have you bought this week? - 11/6/2007 2:12:20 PM   
jamscreator

Glad to see someone else find Paso Robles a little jewel of the world.  I love wines from the region!

Jeff Lawson
Twitter: jamscreator

"Drink what you like, and like what you drink."
-Robert Mondavi

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 82
RE: What have you bought this week? - 11/6/2007 3:18:20 PM   
NotNYC

Question to the Paso lovers

Anyone else here have any Bella Luna?
The Turley tasting room sent me over there a few years ago. With some age one of their wines blossomed into a gorgeous thing! More to come.

Other than the website & my cellar, I haven't found anything else on these guys. Anyone have anything?

Thanks!

(in reply to jamscreator)
Post #: 83
RE: What have you bought this week? - 11/6/2007 3:27:03 PM   
Ricardo

Wrighty

The only on-line guys I have direct experience of are the Wine Society (of course) and Berry Bros. Depends what (and for whom) you are buying, I prefer the generic offerings from BBR to TWS at present - Berry's do an "Extra-Ordinary Claret" that is pretty good for immediate drinking, also their Pauillac and NV champagne are pretty good, but they are not cheap. Good service from both, they both have lots of serious stuff on hand as you know. This last week The Wine Society have had a clearance sale they do this every year I think, you actually have to go to their Stevenage warehouse but if you are lucky you can find some real gems. I couldn't make it this year.

I am also experimenting with ordering direct from suppliers and using French web sites as I can fortunately provide a French delivery address. Has anyone used http://www.levinleclub.com/ ? I'd appreciate an opinion on their service.  

I actually live only a mile from a Majestic branch but whereas a few years ago I always used to find something new and surprising, I struggle mowadays to fill a case - maybe it's just me!  

(in reply to jamscreator)
Post #: 84
RE: What have you bought this week? - 11/6/2007 4:07:57 PM   
fingers

At least there's no future commitment.  I'll take the risk with the fall shipment and then decide.  Acknowledged that this won't be a fair representation of Paso wines and will need to investigate much, much deeper   Tobin James may be a little "weird" - let's just hope it can at least elevate to "interesting".  Ever try their late-harvests?  I'd be interested in those.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 85
RE: What have you bought this week? - 11/8/2007 1:51:58 AM   
Colonel Lawrence

Bought 2004 Kilikanoon Shiraz Oracle from Jersey!
Only problem seems to be getting it to the mainland; the dealer doesn't ship and my Cellar Co. don't collect from Jersey.
Presumably it's the red tape involved in Jersey being a non-VAT place (I think?).
Well I'll let it age and take a trip to Jersey, there are worse places to visit/and drink in the world.
If anyone knows more about Jersey vs UK wine tax laws do let me know.
L.

PS  Wrighty saw a good Christmas Offer from http://www.nickollsandperks.co.uk/ 
although it was by email and I can't see it on their site, you'd have to ask them. 
Have bought some Quinta do Vale Dona Maria Douro and 
2 cases of 2001 Château Mouton Rothschild from them in the past, so I guess that's why I got mailed.

(in reply to Wrighty)
Post #: 86
RE: What have you bought this week? - 11/12/2007 3:18:10 PM   
GalvezGuy

The summer shipments keep are now pouring into the cellar.

2004 Château Quinault L'Enclos 2
2004 Château Ducru-Beaucaillou 4(375)
2004 Clos Les Lunelles 2
2004 Château Smith Haut Lafitte 4
2002 St. Clement Oroppas 4
2003 Columbia Crest Walter Clore Private Reserve  4
2003 Columbia Crest Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve  4
2005 Domaine des Baumard Quarts de Chaume  2
2005 Clos du Mont Olivet Châteauneuf-du-Pape 4
2005 Windy Oaks Estate Pinot Noir Estate Cuvée Schultze Family Vineyard 5
2005 Windy Oaks Estate Pinot Noir Diane's Block Klein Family Mountain Vineyard  2
2005 Windy Oaks Estate Pinot Noir Proprietor's Reserve Schultze Family Vineyard  1

Colonel, what is your take on 2004 Bordeaux?  It seems to me that there are a lot of great bargains in this vintage and that a lot of really good wines are starting to be deeply discounted to make way for the pricey 2005s.

Cheers

Post #: 87
RE: What have you bought this week? - 11/13/2007 3:49:48 AM   
Colonel Lawrence

I have a little evidence that you may be right about 2004's.
Mine have appreciated in value by only +11% vs +43, +24, +42 & +39% for the previous years (2003-2000)
Of course my 05's and 06's have hardly shifted - I had to pay too much (like every one else) :(

Also 2004 was a big vintage and I suspect dealers had a lot of inventory left, placing a block on price increases in spite of 2005 prices.
http://www.winespectator.com/Wine/Features/0,1197,2768,00.html
http://www.independent.co.uk/living/food_and_drink/features/article2874.ece
http://www.vintages.com/futures/ports-bordeaux-futures-2004/bordeaux-futures-2004_intro.html

If you have the time you could use www.wine-searcher.com and look at current prices and those for previous years, I suspect the results will be similar to mine, although with a wider selection of wines youd expect greater accuracy.

All the best,
L.

PS  I might have another look at 2004 myself, starting with RP revsions of opinion (the greatest drive of price alongside supply/demand)

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 88
RE: What have you bought this week? - 11/13/2007 8:18:23 AM   
Wrighty

I noticed BBR are pushing the 2004 - they're nothing if not commercial so am sure this is not for our benefit but because they need to move some i.e. we haven't been buying as much as expected.  I think I'm going to hold, I started another thread about 2004 1st growths and some have gone done, so I believe they will drop further.

Back to this week's purchase.  Having promised myself that I wouldn't buy anymore before Christmas along came an e-mail from BBR in HK offering the 2004 Monte Bello.  Back to the 2004 1st growths and my daughter's birth year so I bought two!  I now have a collection of Margaret River's finest cab 04's (Moss Wood, Diana Madelaine, Woodlands), 2 Napa cabs and a couple of cases of Bordeaux - lucky girl!

Need to chase up Majestic as they haven't been in touch since and will check out the links recommended.

Thanks

Wrighty

Post #: 89
RE: What have you bought this week? - 11/17/2007 3:08:36 AM   
Colonel Lawrence

Now here's a departure for me!
Was offered along with others (by one of the better UK dealers) the opportunity to offer any price for a number of wines they didn't want.  If my offer was the highest I got the wine.
I now own:
10 cases 2003 Bibi Graetz Casamatta Toscana IGT for 130 pounds
5 cases 2004 Bibi Graetz Casamatta Toscana IGT for 50 pounds
and 5 cases 2002 La Grolet Tête de Cuvée for 155 pounds

Hence average price (IB) of 1.40 sterling per bottle.

Am I :
A  Stark raving Mad
B  Likely to get drunk very cheaply
C  Very wise, this is the bargain of a lifetime.

Answers on a postcard to the 1st Wadi on the left, past the Oasis.

(in reply to Wrighty)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: What have you bought this week? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI