CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: CT Washington Release Party - Save the Date

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: CT Washington Release Party - Save the Date Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: CT Washington Release Party - Save the Date - 12/17/2017 8:39:52 PM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Endodr

Are there any itineraries planned yet? I would like to fly in for the long weekend and leave Sunday, if possible. Unfortunately, my knowledge of Washington State Wines is very low, so I would like to do a bit of tasting and exploring. But with work, wife, kids, etc, my trip (if at all possible), will have to be brief. Even so, I would not want to miss the bagpipes.

We are working on some things, hopefully will have some post edits up this week.

(in reply to Endodr)
Post #: 31
RE: CT Washington Release Party - Save the Date - 12/17/2017 9:10:29 PM   
mc2 wines

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hollowine

quote:

Are there any itineraries planned yet? I would like to fly in for the long weekend and leave Sunday, if possible. Unfortunately, my knowledge of Washington State Wines is very low, so I would like to do a bit of tasting and exploring. But with work, wife, kids, etc, my trip (if at all possible), will have to be brief. Even so, I would not want to miss the bagpipes.

We are working on some things, hopefully will have some post edits up this week.

Are we targeting events Fri/Sat? Or do you think there will be Sun ones as well?

Friends don't let friends wine alone

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 32
RE: CT Washington Release Party - Save the Date - 12/17/2017 10:44:48 PM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: mc2 wines

Are we targeting events Fri/Sat? Or do you think there will be Sun ones as well?

I think it would be safe to plan on Friday/Saturday as days we will have vineyard tours, winery visits, release party, etc.

Release Party is likely to be Saturday at Rasa, so Sunday could be at your discretion to hit some wineries in the area you missed.

I'm thinking of trying to personally organize something on Thursday but don't know what yet (Inventory party of my cellar?... ). If some people may be considering flying into Portland, you will be passing through Hood River on the way to WW, so let me know if you are coming in a day or two early.

(in reply to mc2 wines)
Post #: 33
RE: CT Washington Release Party - Save the Date - 12/18/2017 5:32:20 PM   
Endodr

That’s great because I’m planning to fly to Pasco on Thursday. I’ll have to fly back on Sunday. I’ve never been to Washington State and I’m anxious to cram as much in, as I can. I’m embarrassed to say that I’ve never tried most Washington State Wines.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 34
RE: CT Washington Release Party - Save the Date - 12/18/2017 5:53:09 PM   
BornToRhone

quote:

I looked into the logistics of getting to WW. It's hard to get there. There are no direct flights from Ft. Lauderdale to Portland or Seattle. Then there is a second flight to WW (or a long drive). I still want to go, but the arrangements

We flew into Portland and drove. A pretty drive but it does take about 3.5-4 hrs. Alternative was a Alaska Airline flight from Seattle which would have still taken at least 2 hours (if you include layover and flight), plus driving saves you tons of cash you can spend on wine!

-- The answer may not lie at the bottom of a bottle of wine, but you should at least check. --

(in reply to Endodr)
Post #: 35
RE: CT Washington Release Party - Save the Date - 12/18/2017 6:34:46 PM   
Sourdough

I will almost certainly fly to Portland on Tuesday or Wednesday. Or even Monday if it makes sense. I am definitely interested in stopping on the way in White Salmon, Yakima, or ???

(in reply to BornToRhone)
Post #: 36
RE: CT Washington Release Party - Save the Date - 12/19/2017 8:36:17 AM   
fasteddie35

This sounds like a wonderful weekend. We will try to make it work. Where are people staying ? Not familiar with the area. Thanks, Ed

(in reply to Sourdough)
Post #: 37
RE: CT Washington Release Party - Save the Date - 12/19/2017 9:55:46 PM   
Rich64N

I hope to make it (and break my lack of attendance at CT Wine Events).

I'll expand a little on Chris' logistics post regarding flying in (out):
Airports:
Walla Walla (AWL) - Horizon flights to Seattle on Horizon (Alaska) - good luck with Sun evening departure, booked by Seattle owners of W2 wineries.
Pasco (Tricities) (PSC) - Lots of expansion over the past 10 years, but still a regional airport. 25 minutes to Red Mountain. Cheap flights on Alligent to vacation destinations (AZ, SoCal, Vegas), plus Alaskan, United, Delta. Big jets and puddle jumpers.
Spokane (GEG) - Southwest flies there. I highly recommend an hour visit to Palouse Falls State Park (on the way, recommended May-June)
Yakima (YKM) - Unless you get a crazy deal, do PSC or SEA. Ditto Lewiston (LWS)
SeaTac (SEA). Nice drive to W2 (WA-410 if open, or WA-821). Stupid car rental taxes (to pay for sports stadiums, tax the non-resident). Can hit Woodinville or the Seattle craft brewing scene.
Portland (PDX) Nice drive through the Gorge (Great breweries in Hood River area, a few wineries, and Columbia Crest Winery in Patterson WA is crazy in a good way

Folks from out of the area could combine this with an Alaskan cruise out of Seattle (early season)

From Florida, check out flying out of Orlando for much cheaper fares (or puddle jumper to ORL) to SEA, but Alaska does direct to ORL, FLL and MIA.

Alaska Airlines - "Wines fly free" (up to a case) departing (got to join their club):
ALW
PSC
LWS
YKM
PDX
but NOT SEATAC (SEA)

(in reply to fasteddie35)
Post #: 38
RE: CT Washington Release Party - Save the Date - 12/20/2017 11:22:17 AM   
Sourdough

The Walt Whitman is full. I am staying at the Hampton. Rates are sky high so be warned.

(in reply to Rich64N)
Post #: 39
RE: CT Washington Release Party - Save the Date - 12/21/2017 10:12:14 AM   
fasteddie35

Thank you ! Cheers, Ed

(in reply to Sourdough)
Post #: 40
RE: CT Washington Release Party - Save the Date - 12/21/2017 6:03:04 PM   
Endodr

I'm still not a 100% go, but I made motel reservations. I plan to fly into Pasco on Thursday and fly out on Sunday.
This should be a really good weekend.

Post #: 41
RE: CT Washington Release Party - Save the Date - 1/1/2018 4:49:25 PM   
jrockman

In!

Was having a bit of a dilemma trying to make this work with a planned vacation starting that weekend; we've decided to delay our departure to Monday so we can make it. Looking forward to seeing some old acquaintances and meeting some new ones!.

(in reply to Endodr)
Post #: 42
RE: CT Washington Release Party - Save the Date - 1/4/2018 5:57:57 AM   
mc2 wines

Okie dokie...flights and hotels are booked!

We're flying into SEA late on the 2nd, staying at a hotel near the airport for convenience, then a midday flight to WW on the 3rd. Hotel is the Courtyard in the middle of town. We leave again early on Sunday the 6th for the trek back to NYC.

Can't wait!

p.s. - Will additional kilts be provided or is this a BYO event?

Friends don't let friends wine alone

(in reply to jrockman)
Post #: 43
RE: CT Washington Release Party - Save the Date - 1/4/2018 10:12:22 AM   
smahk

We are In!!

Gary and I plan to start in Portland venturing to Astoria, Salem & Willamette, Outdoor adventures in Hood River/Columbia Gorge and finally making our way to Walla Walla for the release party.

We will be staying at the Hampton Inn - arriving Thursday and departing mid morning on Sunday.

Cin Cin!

(in reply to mc2 wines)
Post #: 44
RE: CT Washington Release Party - Save the Date - 1/4/2018 3:23:24 PM   
recotte

Just booked a house via AirBnB!

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to smahk)
Post #: 45
RE: CT Washington Release Party - Save the Date - 1/8/2018 5:53:22 PM   
mclancy10006

Pondering deeply. Might try to make a biking trip out of this. (Wine calorie offset program). And yes I probably would need to pedal all the way from FL to get to neutral, but I think I may check bikes on the big silver bird instead. :)

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 46
RE: CT Washington Release Party - Save the Date - 1/8/2018 7:23:06 PM   
jrockman

There's some nice rides around WW, Mark.

(in reply to mclancy10006)
Post #: 47
RE: CT Washington Release Party - Save the Date - 1/21/2018 10:19:43 AM   
Hollowine

Hey Everyone!

Getting really excited about this!!!

Hopefully be posting some additional details this week or so, but really wanting to start getting a list of those likely/definitely coming. So feel free to post in this thread and I'll update the OP with a roster.

Lesley Dubner (Brad's wife) is planning on coming out, we are working on an awesome dinner plan/bottle party for Saturday, I'm working to coordinate some vineyard tours...this should be a blast!

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 48
RE: CT Washington Release Party - Save the Date - 1/21/2018 4:45:02 PM   
jrockman

Hollowine, my wife should be joining as well, so +1 for me

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 49
RE: CT Washington Release Party - Save the Date - 1/21/2018 8:22:43 PM   
fingers

I have a room reserved, but I’m still not sure whether that means we’re likely or not

(in reply to jrockman)
Post #: 50
RE: CT Washington Release Party - Save the Date - 1/22/2018 5:15:06 AM   
BenNoir

We're in.

Bennor +1

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 51
RE: CT Washington Release Party - Save the Date - 1/22/2018 9:13:45 AM   
ecoe

Ecoe +1 as a maybe. We have a hotel but are still trying to clear one last thing from the calendar.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 52
RE: CT Washington Release Party - Save the Date - 1/22/2018 10:17:37 AM   
fasteddie35

We are in. Can't wait to see some old, and make some new, friends. Ed

(in reply to ecoe)
Post #: 53
RE: CT Washington Release Party - Save the Date - 1/23/2018 6:25:55 PM   
Endodr

I also reserved a room in WW, but I haven't pulled the trigger on the flight. I'm still trying to resolve work commitments and really want to attend!

Post #: 54
RE: CT Washington Release Party - Save the Date - 1/24/2018 4:44:35 PM   
Redrunners

We are going to have to skip this event.
Now have a family event that week (got invited to a week at Paradise Island...)

Will have to find another time to come out to Washington and visit Rasa and the other winemakers in the region.

Looks like a great event - looking forward to hearing about it.

Drinking good wine with good food in the company of friends is one of life's great pleasures.

(in reply to Endodr)
Post #: 55
RE: CT Washington Release Party - Save the Date - 1/24/2018 5:29:06 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Redrunners

(got invited to a week at Paradise Island...)

You're family is going to boot camp?

.... oh, wait......

Never mind.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to Redrunners)
Post #: 56
RE: CT Washington Release Party - Save the Date - 1/25/2018 4:47:48 PM   
PintoN

Hi All,

Planning for the CT party (May 5th) is going well. We should have a caterer selected in the next couple of days. I will keep you posted.

I have some good news for you Rocks District fans. I asked Steve Robertson (owner of Delmas and SJR Vineyard) if he would make available some cases of Delmas 2016 SJR Vineyard Syrah for this CT group. He has agreed. He produces a very small amount of Delmas Syrah, which sells out every year. There is a waiting list for his wines. So this is indeed a rare opportunity.

As an added bonus, you will be receiving the Rasa CT 2016 SJR Vineyard Syrah in a few months. This makes for an excellent comparison. Both the wines come from the same vineyard and both are made by the same winemaker (my brother Billo). The difference here is stylistic: Rasa tends to use more new oak and age it longer; Delmas co-ferments Viognier with the Syrah (8.4% in 2016). They are both beautiful expressions of what is possible from this vineyard.

Steve will post particulars on how to get some of his wine – I’m sure it will be first come-first serve. So please keep an eye out for the post.

And for what it’s worth, there is only one WA winery that I buy from yearly, and that’s Delmas.

Thanks,

Pinto

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 57
RE: CT Washington Release Party - Save the Date - 1/25/2018 5:12:46 PM   
dsGris

I met Steve and his wife when we were visiting our neighbor's Day in the Vinyard west of Yamhill. I mentioned the CT wines used SJR grapes which initiated a lengthy discussion including Steve's involvement in getting the Rocks AVA approved. Christian and Lisa had previously said I needed to sample some Delmas if I had the opportunity, so I bought a bottle from Full Pull to squirrel away. I like that they are approachable sooner as I am no Spring Chicken. That said we have a good friend that loves your wines, especially when I give her a bottle.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to PintoN)
Post #: 58
RE: CT Washington Release Party - Save the Date - 1/26/2018 5:04:22 PM   
PintoN

Hi All,

Steve has asked me to post on his behalf. Here is the offer:

Delmas has worked closely with Billo, as our wine consultant, since our first release (2010). Importantly, Rasa and Delmas will soon be the only producers to receive SJR Vineyard Syrah.

To put a bow on this very successful CT collaboration, Delmas will make a limited number of bottles available to this CT post...first come-first served.

The Delmas (CT) OFFER: the 2016 Delmas Syrah; release/shipping (Oct/Nov. 2018)....6 packs only @ $70.00/bottle, plus tax and shipping. Secured by Cc payment in late February 2018.

Please go to the Delmas web site; (www.delmaswines.com). Click on The LIST found on our home page by Friday, 2/2/18 and sign up for these limited allocation positions. (Tasting notes are found on the web site). Place (CT) immediately after your first name to identify this special offer. We will then confirm your allocation position.

Once these CT/Delmas bottles have been allocated and confirmed, all other sign-ups will be maintained on the Delmas Waiting List for future release considerations. Invitations to those on the Waiting List go out each Feb/March.

And for those of you attending the Release Party in May...we look forward to meeting you. A tour of SJR Vineyard, and a deep dive into the Rocks District, is part of the planned Saturday fun!

Mary, Brooke and Steve Robertson

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 59
RE: CT Washington Release Party - Save the Date - 1/26/2018 6:18:06 PM   
Hollowine

Thanks Pinto and Steve!

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: CT Washington Release Party - Save the Date Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI