1. dogsbrekky

dogsbrekky

• Was very sweet, like fortified or port, was well past expected drinking age but still smooth and drinkable.

• Perfection - Heschke, Rockford and Charles Melton (in that order) are my favourite producers from my home appellation, Barossa... and this is their BEST WINE ever

Best wine I have ever had in line with the 1982 Margaux (100), 1990 Grange (100) and the 1985 Cheval Blanc (98/100)

Where do we start... I stole this... well not literally from a local negociant who doesnt know shit from shinola... but that is another story

Perfectly stored

From the Barossa Valley when the BV was king and the asshats from my birth land had not effed up the wine industry (thanks Robert Parker and co)

• Simply one of the most amazing wines I've ever had. We've now had three of the 1973s over the past few years, and each has been perfection.

• Excellent. Not quite as good as I remember it last time, but still amazing.

• This is one of the most gorgeously perfect wines I've ever had. It had the sophistication in ageing of a great Bordeaux. This 35-year-old wine had beautiful lush fruits, with smoothed out tannins and a cigar-box nose. We let the bottle stand for a couple of days to settle the sediment, and then opened and immediately poured out of the bottle during dinner. No decanting or airing. It was the right move. The wine came out with beautiful integrity and presence (nose and taste) from the first sip, with just a trace of initial mustiness that blew off within minutes. We savored the wine for hours. Over that time, the nose only blossomed in beauty, but after a couple of hours the taste began to flatten out and subside. I can't believe the Australians were producing wine of such stupendous quality in 1973. If you ever have a chance to drink this wine, do it. This is the only 100 points I think I've ever given to a wine on CellarTracker.

JancisRobinson.com

NOTE: Some content is property of JancisRobinson.com.