CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Summer Adventure in Burgundy 11 - New Floor Concrete Pour

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Summer Adventure in Burgundy 11 - New Floor Concrete Pour Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Summer Adventure in Burgundy 11 - New Floor Concrete Pour - 8/22/2013 1:17:31 AM   
gharbour

This series of posts is the continuing saga of a father helping his son (Nicholas) and daughter-in-law (Colleen) realize their dream of starting a winery (www.MaisonHarbour.com) in Burgundy, France. If you didn’t catch my earlier posts please look beneath the title of this post to find “View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)” and select “in all forums”. Now that there are over 10 posts in the series you will have to go into the search criteria and increase the number of hits from 10 to 20 see the first few posts.

With vacation over, work has picked up to full speed. We finished prepping the floor for pouring, with a wire reinforcement, two layers of heavy gauge wire mesh separated every meter by a heavy gauge 10cm x 10cm box. Below that is a layer of plastic sheeting to seal out moisture. Along the walls is foam insulation to allow the floor to move inside the old stone walls. See the photo below.

Once everything was prepped, Nicholas got a permit from the village to close the main street for the day, and scheduled a cement delivery. The truck he hired had a 20 meter pump to reach the cuverie. Unfortunately, there was a telephone wire that prevented its use until the driver was convinced to go up and over the wire instead of under it.

Then the concrete started and it came and came and came. There was no reprise until we emptied the first truck (below).

We had a second truck bring the final concrete required, which, was transferred from the new truck to the first pump truck then down the line.

We almost had another disaster (hail being the first see my post #7) at the end of the pour. The cement truck driver was cleaning his pump line by running a cleaning ball through it. Maybe, because of the high lift in the line over the telephone wire, it built up tremendous pressure and exploded without warning, sending about a quarter ton of concrete and gravel flying. It even blasted rocks completely through the open doors of the house into the back yard (see photo). Nick was closest at the time and he was covered from head to toe in concrete. He said it hurt quite a bit on impact. No one else was hurt, but we spent about 2 hours cleaning the neighborhood houses and Maison Harbour. Below is a photo that shows the pile of cement that hit directly under the exploding pipe. You can also see some of the concrete on backhoe from the blast.

Finishing took all afternoon as the concrete was very wet. In the end we poured a 20cm (8”) slab with but we used a 2% slope because the concrete was so wet it wouldn’t hold the slope well. We think it ended up closer to1.5%, as planned, but we haven’t measured yet. We’ll let it dry for a week then seal it, at which point we can start bringing in and installing the equipment that Nicholas and Colleen have purchased (fermentation tanks, destemmer).

No change in the grape maturity since last week so no photo needed. Nicholas and Colleen started talking with courtiers (grape brokers) again this week as some of them returned from vacation, but everything is still locked up wait to see what the weather brings.

A Bientôt
Gary

Gary Harbour
Chez Nos Coeurs
Savigny les Beaune
Post #: 1
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 11 - New Floor Concret... - 8/22/2013 4:04:13 AM   
jrockman

Great pics of the work, Gary;, like the double layer of reinforcement. Having worked in the construction industry for over 30 years, I understand the dangers of concrete pumps, we once had a laborer seriously hurt in a similar accident. It is fortunate your son Nick is apparently okay, hopefully no lingering effects from it.

Like others, I enjoy following along with your updates; keep it up!

(in reply to gharbour)
Post #: 2
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 11 - New Floor Concret... - 8/22/2013 10:08:00 AM   
recotte

Nice to see the progress, Gary. Glad no one was seriously hurt with the line explosion. Setting all of the negatives aside, I'll bet it was pretty spectacular to see!

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to jrockman)
Post #: 3
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 11 - New Floor Concret... - 8/22/2013 10:23:26 AM   
khmark7

Looking good. Pouring concrete was probably never so fun?

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 4
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 11 - New Floor Concret... - 8/22/2013 10:37:30 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

We’ll let it dry for a week then seal it, at which point we can start bringing in and installing the equipment that Nicholas and Colleen have purchased (fermentation tanks, destemmer).

Don't know if you've considered it Gary, but an epoxy coat on concrete is very useful over the long haul when exposed to acidic conditions such as grape juice.  Spendy stuff though, goes for about $10/sq ft incluidng installation here in the U.S. 

BTW, seeing the picture of the concrete pour happening near the trench drain that is not covered with a temporary cover makes me nervous.   I spent part of my spring in California digging up some sewer lines that hadn't been properly secured or supervised during a concrete pour.  They don't drain too well when they're full of set concrete.  

Your trench drain still looks clean at the end of the pour, which is great!  

Also like your son's T-Shirt.  Go Illini!

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 8/22/2013 10:46:15 AM >

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 5
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 11 - New Floor Concret... - 8/22/2013 4:49:25 PM   
Old Doug

WOW - great continuing story. I was a bricklayer and cement man for 7 years, so I see the hard work - and really cannot imagine doing it in France with permits and so forth, balky truck drivers, blowouts, and fear of the unknown, I guess.

Totally, totally agree with ChrisinSunnyside on epoxy sealer.

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 6
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 11 - New Floor Concret... - 8/22/2013 5:06:18 PM   
S1

Step up the progress so Nicholas doesn't put me to work next summer

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 7
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 11 - New Floor Concret... - 8/23/2013 12:53:40 AM   
gharbour

quote:

ORIGINAL: jrockman

Great pics of the work, Gary;, like the double layer of reinforcement. Having worked in the construction industry for over 30 years, I understand the dangers of concrete pumps, we once had a laborer seriously hurt in a similar accident. It is fortunate your son Nick is apparently okay, hopefully no lingering effects from it.

Like others, I enjoy following along with your updates; keep it up!

quote:

jrockman

Jeff,

Thanks for the support. As you say fortunately no one was seriously hurt. Nicholas is fully recovered. It was quite dangerous.

Best,
Gary

Gary Harbour
Chez Nos Coeurs
Savigny les Beaune

(in reply to jrockman)
Post #: 8
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 11 - New Floor Concret... - 8/23/2013 1:01:54 AM   
gharbour

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

Nice to see the progress, Gary. Glad no one was seriously hurt with the line explosion. Setting all of the negatives aside, I'll bet it was pretty spectacular to see!

quote:

recotte

Hi Eric,

You are right on. It feels and looks so good to have the floor done. It's the base for getting real work done in the cuverie, now if we could just get the power company to hook up the electricity. This week we found out that the order Nicholas has into them is only to hook up the meter and not to connect the meter to the panel! He has to choose an electricity supply company now and get an appointment, so......

Best,
Gary

Gary Harbour
Chez Nos Coeurs
Savigny les Beaune

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 9
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 11 - New Floor Concret... - 8/23/2013 5:06:52 AM   
gharbour

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

Looking good. Pouring concrete was probably never so fun?

Karl,

True enough, but I think I'm too old to ever do it again!

Thanks,
Gary

Gary Harbour
Chez Nos Coeurs
Savigny les Beaune

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 10
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 11 - New Floor Concret... - 8/23/2013 5:16:09 AM   
gharbour

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinSunnyside

quote:

We’ll let it dry for a week then seal it, at which point we can start bringing in and installing the equipment that Nicholas and Colleen have purchased (fermentation tanks, destemmer).

Don't know if you've considered it Gary, but an epoxy coat on concrete is very useful over the long haul when exposed to acidic conditions such as grape juice.  Spendy stuff though, goes for about $10/sq ft incluidng installation here in the U.S. 

BTW, seeing the picture of the concrete pour happening near the trench drain that is not covered with a temporary cover makes me nervous.   I spent part of my spring in California digging up some sewer lines that hadn't been properly secured or supervised during a concrete pour.  They don't drain too well when they're full of set concrete.  

Your trench drain still looks clean at the end of the pour, which is great!  

Also like your son's T-Shirt.  Go Illini!

Hi Chris

Go Illini indead! Myself class of '82. Leslie class of '76 & '82. Daughter Class of '02 and Nicholas class of '04!

Also you'll be happy to see this photo of the drain from during the pour. We cut boards to fit the drain and we also blocked it to catch everything!

Cheers!
Gary

Gary Harbour
Chez Nos Coeurs
Savigny les Beaune

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 11
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 11 - New Floor Concret... - 8/23/2013 5:21:46 AM   
gharbour

quote:

ORIGINAL: Old Doug

WOW - great continuing story. I was a bricklayer and cement man for 7 years, so I see the hard work - and really cannot imagine doing it in France with permits and so forth, balky truck drivers, blowouts, and fear of the unknown, I guess.

Totally, totally agree with ChrisinSunnyside on epoxy sealer.

Doug and Chris,

Thanks for vote for epoxy. I think Nicholas would like to do this but the budget is truly shot for this season. Maybe he can do it next year after he starts to get some cash from en primeur sales. Do you know if there is a product specific for wineries? Low pH and safe for wine?

Best,
Gary

Gary Harbour
Chez Nos Coeurs
Savigny les Beaune

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 12
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 11 - New Floor Concret... - 8/23/2013 5:27:00 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

Excellent!

My daughter was U of I Class of '02!   

Small world, big university.

Re: epoxy
quote:

Do you know if there is a product specific for wineries? Low pH and safe for wine?

Not sure if there is anything wine specific, but I'd suspect you'd want to do the coating and curing (a week or so) withOUT any wine in the building.  Once cured, the stuff is hard as rock and has no pH at all.   I am in the process of specing some now, and I'll shoot you some product names to consider via PM if you're interested.

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 8/23/2013 5:32:01 AM >

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to gharbour)
Post #: 13
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 11 - New Floor Concret... - 8/23/2013 6:10:00 AM   
SkeBum

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1

I would like to think that they know better then that....

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 14
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 11 - New Floor Concret... - 8/23/2013 6:17:32 AM   
SkeBum

quote:

ORIGINAL: gharbour

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

quote:

recotte

Hi Eric,

You are right on. It feels and looks so good to have the floor done. It's the base for getting real work done in the cuverie, now if we could just get the power company to hook up the electricity. This week we found out that the order Nicholas has into them is only to hook up the meter and not to connect the meter to the panel! He has to choose an electricity supply company now and get an appointment, so......

Best,
Gary

Man, it never ends does it. Reminds me of trying to get something done in NY or Boston, that person can't touch that truck because of the rules and oh, now he is on lunch so you have to wait, except it is all in French.

Which brings up another question, your son and his wife must be fluent in French or close to do this?

(in reply to gharbour)
Post #: 15
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 11 - New Floor Concret... - 8/23/2013 6:55:53 AM   
gharbour

quote:

ORIGINAL: SkeBum

quote:

Darren,

Thanks. I'll take that as a piece of advice.

Scott, we'd love to have you come by for a tasting!

Gary

Gary Harbour
Chez Nos Coeurs
Savigny les Beaune

(in reply to SkeBum)
Post #: 16
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 11 - New Floor Concret... - 8/23/2013 8:09:29 AM   
SkeBum

quote:

ORIGINAL: gharbour

quote:

ORIGINAL: SkeBum

quote:

Darren,

Thanks. I'll take that as a piece of advice.

Scott, we'd love to have you come by for a tasting!

Gary

You have to go with a person's strengths, and I believe that the tasting part is where Scott would excel, lots of practice you know.

(in reply to gharbour)
Post #: 17
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 11 - New Floor Concret... - 8/23/2013 9:52:42 AM   
gharbour

SkeBum

[/quote]

Man, it never ends does it. Reminds me of trying to get something done in NY or Boston, that person can't touch that truck because of the rules and oh, now he is on lunch so you have to wait, except it is all in French.

Which brings up another question, your son and his wife must be fluent in French or close to do this?

[/quote]

Thankfully my wife is bilingual, Colleen (DIL) is fluent, and Nicholas is very communicative. I on the other hand struggle to get the pizza I want at dinner but seem to get by somehow. I always said improving my French was one thing I wanted to work on when I retired and I did do a lot of Rosetta Stone last summer but this summer I am too damn tired for some reason......

< Message edited by gharbour -- 8/23/2013 1:13:28 PM >

Gary Harbour
Chez Nos Coeurs
Savigny les Beaune

(in reply to SkeBum)
Post #: 18
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 11 - New Floor Concret... - 8/25/2013 1:42:23 AM   
gharbour

New Readers,

I have noticed from looking at the stats for page views that the earliest of my post are not being seen. New readers are going back only to Post 3 when they look for "View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)" because this only returns the top 10 hits. In order to find Post 1 & 2 you must click on "Search" when you are on the page of 10 top hits and change the maximum number returned to 20. To make this easier I have created a link you should be able to use. Let me know if it works. I guess that is one of the drawbacks of creating a new post each week, but I think it so much easier to follow the ongoing story than having everything combined on one long posting.

By the way the series is quickly closing in on 3000 page views. I would have never guessed.

Thanks,
Gary

https://www.cellartracker.com/forum/searchpro.asp?phrase=Summer+Adventure+in+Burgundy+11+-+New+Floor+Concrete+Pour&author=&forumid=ALL&topicreply=topic&message=both&timeframe=%3E&timefilter=-365&language=single&top=20&criteria=OR&minRank=0&sortMethod=r&submitbutton=+OK+

Gary Harbour
Chez Nos Coeurs
Savigny les Beaune

(in reply to gharbour)
Post #: 19
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 11 - New Floor Concret... - 8/25/2013 3:08:51 PM   
mclancy10006

You could also create a post with each of the weeks listed in it as URL to the page itself.

Week 1 https://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=279011
Week 2 https://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=279285
Week 3 https://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=279800
Week 4 https://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=280740
Week 5 https://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=281548
Week 6 https://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=282408
Week 6.1 https://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=282692
Week 7 https://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=283176
Week 8 https://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=284474
Week 9 https://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=285648
Week 10 https://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=28689
Week 11 https://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=287882

Or add to this one.
-Mark

(in reply to gharbour)
Post #: 20
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 11 - New Floor Concret... - 8/26/2013 12:20:30 AM   
gharbour

quote:

ORIGINAL: mclancy10006

You could also create a post with each of the weeks listed in it as URL to the page itself.

Week 1 https://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=279011
Week 2 https://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=279285
Week 3 https://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=279800
Week 4 https://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=280740
Week 5 https://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=281548
Week 6 https://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=282408
Week 6.1 https://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=282692
Week 7 https://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=283176
Week 8 https://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=284474
Week 9 https://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=285648
Week 10 https://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=28689
Week 11 https://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=287882

Or add to this one.
-Mark

Hi Mark,

That's great. And I know it works because a number of people made it back to the original post after you published the list. I'll use it.

Thanks,
Gary

Gary Harbour
Chez Nos Coeurs
Savigny les Beaune

(in reply to mclancy10006)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Summer Adventure in Burgundy 11 - New Floor Concrete Pour Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI