CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Summer Adventure in Burgundy 12 - Cave Repairs and Soutirage

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Summer Adventure in Burgundy 12 - Cave Repairs and Soutirage Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Summer Adventure in Burgundy 12 - Cave Repairs and Sout... - 8/29/2013 12:15:24 AM   
gharbour

This series of posts is the continuing saga of a father helping his son (Nicholas) and daughter-in-law (Colleen) realize their dream of starting a winery (www.MaisonHarbour.com) in Burgundy, France. If you didn’t catch my earlier posts please find links to the older posts at the end of this post.

No disasters to report this week! But the weather, all week, has turned cool (17C/64F) and rainy. It has felt like fall is approaching. Never-the-less the grapes are starting to enter véraison. It should be just a few more days till half of the grapes are in véraison and then harvest will be about 33.5 days on average away - October 1st. But we’ll need some good warm days. Since this is one month later than I had planned it’s time to change the return flight! Mid October should allow me to get through most of the fermentation. But I’ll probably miss putting the wine in to the barrels. Here’s a photo of the grapes.

When we started this spring Nicholas noticed that the poutres (wooden beams) holding up the cave entrance were severely damaged from water leaking in from above. It was so bad that he had to address it right away. He hired a stone mason to come and fix it and this week that happened. These are some of the poutres the mason took out. Yikes!

He propped up the whole entrance with steel jacks and took them out one at a time and replaced them with 3 big steel I beams.

Then he filled in with a nice stone course to give Nicholas and Colleen a secure entrance to their cave voutée (vaulted cellar). Now open for tastings!
Nicholas has purchased some timbers for us to replace the entrance cap, which, has been taken off from inside one of the barrel caves.

While the stone mason was working I was remaking the platens for the small (4hL) pressoir. We have Luis Fernandes a friend of Nicholas & Colleen making 50 brand new staves for it at Tonnellerie Meyrieux (for a cool look at a Tonnellerie from Nicholas and Colleen’s web site see http://www.maisonharbour.com/the-story/page/20/ ). Which allowed me to reclaimed the oak from the old staves and to replace the platens. The top piece (0.8m in diameter) had a couple of bad spots that needed replacing but was in otherwise great shape. Here it is before and after.

Then I made a completely new bottom piece, from the reclaimed wood, which will give Nicholas and Colleen a full 4hL rather than the 3.8hL that the original bottom piece gave. This was a full 5 days work and very complex! Here it is from the bottom showing all the nice brass screws which had to be put in.

And here it is in place.

We also started the process of getting ready to bottle the 2012 wines that Nicholas and Colleen made, starting with Cuvée 2. We did an SO2 analysis to assure the wine was properly protected. It tested out at 18 mg/L (18ppm), perfect for pH 3.3 red wine. The old chemist at work!

Then Nicholas and Colleen performed the soutirage (racking). And of course there had to be a tasting! The wine was super clear and a beautiful ruby color. It was fresh and full of red fruits. I got a really big hit of orange chocolate on it. The wine is very nice considering it is made on 100L scale from verjus (fruit left unharvested because it is green). Nicholas and Colleen waited a few weeks after harvest for the clusters to ripen more fully before they harvested them. They de-stemmed by hand and removed, grape by grape, the grapes which were still unripe. A number of students at the Beaune Wine School have tried to make wine from verjus during their studies the last two years and almost all have not turned out well. So that’s quite encouraging that Nicholas and Colleen have a good touch with winemaking. Now they will let the wine settle before filling bottles next week. Cuvée 1 needs some more time in barrel still. They will continue to taste it regularly until it is ready to be bottled.

It’s been a tough week for everyone as Nicholas and Colleen still need grapes after after the damage from the hail storm. They’ve followed a couple of leads but not been convinced enough to take a contract yet. They want to find something really special and that is not easy. Doing all this work and spending all this money without knowing if they’ll actually make wine this year is quite stressful. Work begins on the Maison Harbour entrance gate next week. We received a large delivery today of 8 pallets of materials so I've got to get to work as the boss is calling.

A Bientôt
Gary

Week 1 - The Story Begins
Week 2 - Departure
Week 3 - Work Begins
Week 4 - Shopping for Equipment
Week 5 - The Douane
Week 6 - Beautiful Premier Cru Grapes
Week 6.1 Savigny En Tous Sens
Week 7 - Disaster Strikes
Week 8 - Starting Again
Week 9 - Vacation Time in France
Week 10 - Vacation Ends and Work Resumes
Week 11 - New Floor Concrete Pour

Gary Harbour
Chez Nos Coeurs
Savigny les Beaune
Post #: 1
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 12 - Cave Repairs and ... - 8/29/2013 12:30:04 AM   
Eric

All I can say is WOW!

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

http://twitter.com/cellartracker
http://facebook.com/cellartracker

(in reply to gharbour)
Post #: 2
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 12 - Cave Repairs and ... - 8/29/2013 1:18:48 AM   
JerryL

You may find you have more visitors than you really want.

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 3
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 12 - Cave Repairs and ... - 8/29/2013 2:53:59 AM   
S1

Looking great Gary

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to JerryL)
Post #: 4
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 12 - Cave Repairs and ... - 8/29/2013 5:07:39 AM   
khmark7

Good luck with the wine contracts.

Really like the work on the wine press. Exciting to see everything coming into place.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 5
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 12 - Cave Repairs and ... - 8/29/2013 5:18:45 AM   
Redrunners

Really enjoying reading about your adventure in France and renovating the winery.

Beautiful pictures and a nice life experience.

Keep it coming.

Drinking good wine with good food in the company of friends is one of life's great pleasures.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 6
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 12 - Cave Repairs and ... - 8/29/2013 5:34:00 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

Great stuff Gary!  I really like the work you did on the press.  I have a small basket press that has only a solid bottom wooden piece with a slope to a spout.  I am inspired to build a lattice in the round like yours as it will likely give better yields with less seed smashing than my current method. 

The cave and winery are gorgeous. 

Here's more luck finding a good grape supply for harvest. 

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to Redrunners)
Post #: 7
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 12 - Cave Repairs and ... - 8/29/2013 7:02:34 AM   
recotte

I love the old stonework. That's something you just don't see around here.

Thanks for the update, Gary!

Eric

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 8
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 12 - Cave Repairs and ... - 8/29/2013 8:39:14 AM   
bretrooks

+1 on the wow, the "nice work," the "good luck," the everything above! I'm enjoying following the saga - thanks for sharing.

WSET L3 in Wines
My Cellar

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 9
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 12 - Cave Repairs and ... - 8/29/2013 9:20:32 AM   
kcbrian

Another great update!! Look foward to visting the winery and tasting in the future!!

Brian

There can't be good living where there is not good drinking.-Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 10
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 12 - Cave Repairs and ... - 8/29/2013 9:25:27 AM   
dontime

Looks like a true "labor of love".

dontime

“Dove regna il vino
non regna il silenzio"

(in reply to kcbrian)
Post #: 11
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 12 - Cave Repairs and ... - 8/29/2013 10:20:57 AM   
SkeBum

Gary,
Thanks for the update, I look forward to them. If I was in your shoes I won't come home until after the wine is made if you can. You aren't missing much back here in the states.

Good luck with the contracts, I'm sure something will come up, sending good thoughts your way on that regard.

< Message edited by SkeBum -- 8/29/2013 10:21:24 AM >

(in reply to dontime)
Post #: 12
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 12 - Cave Repairs and ... - 8/29/2013 12:52:50 PM   
Old Doug

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

I love the old stonework. That's something you just don't see around here.

Co-signed! Old Wood and stone...

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 13
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 12 - Cave Repairs and ... - 8/29/2013 4:09:31 PM   
ericindc

Best of luck! Hope you guys can source some nice fruit.

-Eric
Just waiting for my Grand Cru to age.

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 14
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 12 - Cave Repairs and ... - 8/29/2013 4:15:22 PM   
musedir

After reading Ray Walker's fine book and following this wonderful thread, I may have to admit that maybe there is something about Burgundy that I need to study a mite more. Seriously, your journal has been a source of constant enlightenment and enjoyment for so many. Pour votre santé!

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to ericindc)
Post #: 15
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 12 - Cave Repairs and ... - 8/29/2013 4:25:39 PM   
S1

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

After reading Ray Walker's fine book and following this wonderful thread, I may have to admit that maybe there is something about Burgundy that I need to study a mite more.

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 16
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 12 - Cave Repairs and ... - 8/29/2013 4:53:27 PM   
mtpisgah

quote:

After reading Ray Walker's fine book and following this wonderful thread, I may have to admit that maybe there is something about Burgundy that I need to study a mite more.

Don't listen to Scott, he is a kill joy. Lets quit our jobs, pool our money and move to Burgundy. Then Scott will beg us to let him visit.

Paul

I read books to pass the time until the next bottle of wine.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 17
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 12 - Cave Repairs and ... - 8/29/2013 5:09:24 PM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: mtpisgah

quote:

Don't listen to Scott, he is a kill joy. Lets quit our jobs, pool our money and move to Burgundy. Then Scott will beg us to let him visit.

Count me in!

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to mtpisgah)
Post #: 18
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 12 - Cave Repairs and ... - 8/30/2013 1:18:23 AM   
nicholasharbour

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the support! Seeing all of your messages is really great. Colleen and I are so lucky to have such a great father, who is eager to help us get ready for the harvest and our first year. Big thanks to Gary!

Whenever anyone is in the area and wants to stop by to see how things are going and taste some wine, please do not hesitate to contact us! We love having visitors.

Cheers,
Nicholas

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 19
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 12 - Cave Repairs and ... - 8/30/2013 2:10:09 AM   
gharbour

All,

Thanks for the overwhelming support of the Adventure.

Eric L., Glad you're following along. That's kind of special.

Jerry, We can't wait to have some visitors.

Scott, Thanks for your continued following.

Karl, I hope that things maybe loosing up on the fruit front as harvest approaches. Things have picked up in the village noticeably with people bottling and general cleaning.

Chris S. (Redrunners), I enjoy writing and sharing the Adventure, especially when I get feedback from readers. It's a highlight experience for our family.

Chris in Sunnyside, The bottom platen was fun to make. It takes a lot of oak though, 26 meters in the case of the small (4hL) press! I'm glad we could use reclaimed oak. The new cage from the Tonnellerie is $$$.

Eric C. (recotte), It is interesting how there seems to be enough stone in France (Europe in general) to have built the whole country out of it! And at reasonable prices for the stone working. While in the US it is scarce. Culture or nature? Both I think.

Bret, Glad you're following along and thanks for the good wishes. We need all the positive energy we can get for the next 2-3 months. I hope you'll follow and support us through the wine making.

Brian, The door is open and we're looking forward to your visit! Thanks Gary

Don, Labor is the right word. Both physically and mentally. But the joy is there too.

Doug, Some of the old wood is well too old. Some serious work required. Oak is pretty expensive so we'll be looking where we can use pine. Of course the advantage of oak is the heartwood is pretty insect proof, so once it's there it can last for 100's of years.

Eric T., Thanks for your continued support. We really appreciate it. Gary

Tom, Burgundy will enchant you if you let it. Bordeaux maybe be the heart of France, but Burgundy is the stomach!

Paul and Karl, there were 17 new négociants this year in the côte d'or. Word is out, better come soon.

Nicholas and Colleen, Thank you. Love you both!

Gary Harbour
Chez Nos Coeurs
Savigny les Beaune

(in reply to gharbour)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Summer Adventure in Burgundy 12 - Cave Repairs and Soutirage Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI