1. mattdathan

mattdathan

2. flashvictor

flashvictor

• Being a '97 and newly released, I expected it to have more of a toasty caramel flavor. Also expected only a few bubbles. I was wrong. This bottle had many more bubbles and much more of that fresh taste zip than expected. I love champagne but I'm a believer that a great Schramsberg sparkling is just as good....often even better for the price. With proper storage, I think you can still enjoy a good bottle of this vintage....just drink it soon!!

• This champagne is clearly past its peak, but it still holds up well. The bubbles are not long-lasting, but the nose is rich, yeasty and complex. When you drink this wine, you initially think of a fine French desert wine, it has that much depth and sweetness. However, it is still dry. If you do find a bottle of this from 1997 and are willing to try something different, then go for it. It will surprise you - pleasantly.

• Past it's prime, but still shows delicate complexity. Loses it's fizz within 10-15 mins of opening. I'm only still drinking this because it's left over from my wedding 9 years ago!

• We rediscovered several bottles of this Schramsberg recently so it has survived this long simply because we didn't realize it existed. Sadly, it has passed its peak however its nose has a lovely biscuity, yeast complexity that only comes with age. It still has some 'fizz' left, but the bubbles soon dissipated and we were left with a lovely champagne taste without the sparkle on the tongue. As a result, it leaves you with a slightly cloying taste on the palate that eventually overwhelms.

• Decent, but past its prime.