1. johnwine

johnwine

• Popped, poured, and followed for 24+ hours. This was real pleasant and, while still showing youngish, has a great presence about it. On the pop and pour, it was a bit tight, loosening up over a couple of hours on night one, but day two showed a much more complete wine. The hallmark Rosella's pink grapefruit and acidity are here keeping things fresh, against a somewhat lactic/creamy background. Tannins are softening, but this is still on the early side of its drink-window for my palate. Tasty, if not heady or overly complex, but a fun drink and paired nicely with grilled tri-tip.

• Pop and pour - note after 2 hours. Earth, meat and bacon on the nose. Black fruit, licorice, earth and graphite. Great balance - no signs of heat. Drinking well now and certainly has a few more years to go.

• This wine was distinctly tighter and more wound up than many Carlisle's I've drunk over the years. Deep, rich fruit as usual, but this one has structure and only slows and reluctantly opens up for the drinker. Towards the end on night 2 it started to give more, but this one will go many years and might well benefit from more rest. nicely balanced all in all

• This was my last in the cellar and we really enjoyed. It did change quite a bit with air, taking on some different aspects. Starts out aromatically with bacon fat and white flower, then later some Rosella's merde, then finally the black pepper. Within the palate, the expected and tasty grapefruit note and dark berry fruit, like a blackberry, a bit of tar. The wine is labeled at 15.3% and it seems about dead on, as there is a twinge of heat here but not really anything out of balance for me. I didn't decant the bottle, instead bringing it to dinner and letting it evolve through the meal, and we ended up finishing it. As for drinking window, I see this wine as ready to drink as I am not sure what more bottle time would do for what is a wine that drinks for me in the prime window. I'll go with drink now through 2014. In the end, Mike did a real nice job of capturing for me what Rosella's shows.

• If you have any of these left you are very lucky. Still drinking young and seems to be a couple of years before it reaches it's prime. Decant for at least two hours. Then it should hold for at least another 3 years probably 5-10. Only a 100 cases of this wine was made due apparently to the small amount of syrah grapes in the Rosella's vineyard. I was very lucky to get 5 bottles of this limited production wine Wish I had more than one bottle left to see how well it would drink at maturity.

• By Josh Raynolds
    May/June 2008, IWC Issue #138, (See more on Vinous...)

(Carlisle Winery Syrah Rosella's Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands) Subscribe to see review text.