• Deep maroon. Great nose of dark cherry and espresso bean. Full bodied, but showing lovely evolution. Bright red fruit along with tobacco leaf and some earthiness. Still showing plenty of acidity and boasts a firm
    tannic backbone. Long finish.

• Great fruit depth, well balanced, long finish, well made.

• This was my last 2000 CdC - The impression is that these will not age as long as some of Ben's other wines (e.g. Tapteil), however, there was no fall-off in this at all. A very smooth and balanced cab blend. I love Cadence, but don't buy as much of it as I should. I am not on the mail list, and this shows up sporadically in the retail market.

• My bottle, too, showed cork staining to the top and I feared the worst upon opening...but not to worry. Inky purple coloring, with just the slightest bricking. Black fruits and roses on the nose. Palate is dominated by more black fruits, tobacco, and some spicy oak, but what stands out is the impeccable balance and uber-silky body. Tannins are gone, but I can see this still being delicious 5 years from now.

54% cabernet sauvignon, 25% merlot, 21% cab franc

• It has only been a few months since I opened one of these, and I intended to let this age for another couple of years. However, tonight without much of a plan I was rummaging the cellar for a bottle to open and the notion of a 2000 Cadence struck my fancy. I passed by the Reserve and Tapteil bottlings, as I really want more age on those. My last Ciel du Cheval caught my eye however... When I pulled the foil I was a bit disappointed to see a small pool of dried wine on top of the cork, and upon pulling the cork it showed a lot of staining right to the top. A wine that is purchased on release less than 5 miles from the winery shouldn't have seen any heat problems. I suspect that this might have been overfilled.

The nose shows some of the violet that is typical of Ciel du Cheval along with a hint of mint, high-toned and somewhat racy. The palate is both bright and rich with lavish red fruit followed by notes of milk chocolate and a more than subtle note of raisin, a ripe almost porty wine. The finish shows slightly chalky tannins yet with nice minerality and overall excellent length. While still young and tannic, this bottle has a more raisined and overall advanced aspect than the one I tasted in November, perhaps in part to the cork. At the same time, this is such a powerful young wine that it is almost a treat to see a somewhat advanced example.
    DAY 2: This wine totally crashed with a night's worth of air and clearly was damaged. Removing the rating.

• By Stephen Tanzer
    September/October 2002, IWC Issue #104, (See more on Vinous...)

(Cadence Winery Red Table Wine Ciel du Cheval Red Mountain) Subscribe to see review text.

Rockss and Fruit

• By Lyle Fass
    1/22/2003, (See more on Rockss and Fruit...)

(Cadence "Ciel du Cheval") Wow! What a discovery. This stuff is unbelievable. For a new winery to come out of the gates like this is really something. Granted this is their third release . . . the first one I have tasted. Nose of green olive, blackberry, pepper, tar, bitter chocolate. So aromatic. Incredibly ripe on the palate with jammy black fruits and great complexity. The fruit is almost jammy like a Zinfandel. So supple. Firms up on the finish but time will mellow that. The tannins though are incredibly ripe. This will age like great Bordeaux from a very ripe year. Expresses the Red Mountain terroir. Uniquely Washington. I am hooked on this winery and will follow them closely from now on. It is amazing to taste a wine made from traditional varietals like Cab, Merlot and Cab Franc that has such a unique expression.

NOTE: Some content is property of Vinous and Rockss and Fruit.