CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Summer Adventure in Burgundy 15 - Another Brick in the Wall

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Summer Adventure in Burgundy 15 - Another Brick in the Wall Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Summer Adventure in Burgundy 15 - Another Brick in the ... - 9/19/2013 10:17:40 AM   
gharbour

This series of posts is the continuing saga of a father helping his son (Nicholas) and daughter-in-law (Colleen) realize their dream of starting a winery (www.MaisonHarbour.com) in Burgundy, France. If you didn’t catch my earlier posts please find links to the old posts at the end of this post.

This week my wife Leslie returned to our home in the US after a great summer together in France. I really miss her and am finding that being apart for the next month is the hardest part of this adventure.

It’s been a cool (around 16C/60F) and rainy for the last couple of weeks now. Not great weather for the grapes. One worries about mildew and odium in these conditions and the grapes ripen slowly. So harvest more and more looks like later rather than sooner (maybe the week of October 4th or later).

We started the week off with some fun though as we visited Maison Ilan (http://blog.maison-ilan.com). I imagine most you saw my post about it on Happy Burgundy Thursday if you didn’t, then go check it out at https://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=172362. The one thing I should have mentioned in that post was how impressed I was with Ray as a truly nice person. He really deserves all his success. One last photo from that visit.

We started work on the wall, pillars, and gate this week. It’s slow work for someone who doesn’t do this kind of thing every decade or three. But we’re making good progress.

We continue our work on restoring the smaller pressoir (press). Nicholas has the bands for the cage all painted up with red food grade paint and I started putting the new staves on. Looks sharp and I think it’s going to work great.

Lastly we were given some barrel runners by Michel Ecard (http://www.mairie-savignylesbeaune.fr/domaine-michel--joanna-ecard). Michel is one of our favorite wine makers in Savigny and he has been a great help to Nicholas and Colleen. Michel is always happy to recommend design ideas, loan equipment, and provide insightful approaches to challenges. So Nicholas and I loaded about one tonne of concrete runners (1.55m long) into Michel’s van and brought them home. Oh Colleen loaded two of them with Nick while I was resting. Seriously, I could hardly lift one. They must weight 150kg/330lbs each and she just picked up her end. Here they are in one of the two barrel cellars of Maison Harbour. The gravel is raked over so we can add concrete walkways this fall. The runners arrived just in time as Nicholas and Colleen are expecting their 15 barrels, along with their cuve-en-bois (oak fermenter) made by Marc Grenier and their egrappoir (de-stemmer) to arrive next week.

A Bientôt
Gary

Week 1 - The Story Begins
Week 2 - Departure
Week 3 - Work Begins
Week 4 - Shopping for Equipment
Week 5 - The Douane
Week 6 - Beautiful Premier Cru Grapes
Week 6.1 Savigny En Tous Sens
Week 7 - Disaster Strikes
Week 8 - Starting Again
Week 9 - Vacation Time in France
Week 10 - Vacation Ends and Work Resumes
Week 11 - New Floor Concrete Pour
Week 12 - Summer Adventure in Burgundy 12 - Cave Repairs and Soutirage
Week 13 - Power Outage
Week 14 - Gevrey Chambertin

< Message edited by gharbour -- 9/20/2013 1:09:32 AM >

Gary Harbour
Chez Nos Coeurs
Savigny les Beaune
Post #: 1
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 15 - Another Brick in ... - 9/19/2013 2:03:15 PM   
Yossarian

The best thread(s) on the forum right now - these are brilliant.

New April 2021 Mix Here

(in reply to gharbour)
Post #: 2
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 15 - Another Brick in ... - 9/19/2013 2:09:19 PM   
SkeBum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yossarian

I have to agree. I was out mountain biking yesterday wondering when the next update was coming. I missed the Burgundy Thursday, Ray Walker posts, very cool.

Gary so you aren't coming back to the States for another month then?

(in reply to Yossarian)
Post #: 3
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 15 - Another Brick in ... - 9/19/2013 2:12:06 PM   
wadcorp

quote:

+1 and a half!

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to Yossarian)
Post #: 4
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 15 - Another Brick in ... - 9/19/2013 2:20:47 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Good stuff Gary, I'll be interested to see these barrel runners assembled and holding barrels.  Most of the places here I've seen using steel barrel racks, typically holding two barrels that can be stacked and moved via fork truck.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 5
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 15 - Another Brick in ... - 9/19/2013 2:50:21 PM   
musedir

Always look forward to reading (and seeing) the next installment. Very exciting stuff.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 6
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 15 - Another Brick in ... - 9/20/2013 1:12:14 AM   
gharbour

quote:

quote:

Yossarian

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the vote of support. Also thanks for your continued following. The next few weeks should be the most interesting part. Stay tuned.

Best,
Gary

Gary Harbour
Chez Nos Coeurs
Savigny les Beaune

(in reply to Yossarian)
Post #: 7
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 15 - Another Brick in ... - 9/20/2013 1:18:06 AM   
gharbour

quote:

ORIGINAL: wadcorp

quote:

+1 and a half!

wadcorp

Hi Phil,

As with Paul, You too and a half. It's the home stretch if the weather just cooperates. Today (Friday) was suppose to be the first of 4 warm, sunny, windy days that we need to finish the grapes off. I woke up to a drizzle of rain for my walk to the boulangerie this morning.

Take care,
Gary

Gary Harbour
Chez Nos Coeurs
Savigny les Beaune

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 8
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 15 - Another Brick in ... - 9/20/2013 1:25:12 AM   
gharbour

quote:

ORIGINAL: SkeBum

quote:

I have to agree. I was out mountain biking yesterday wondering when the next update was coming. I missed the Burgundy Thursday, Ray Walker posts, very cool.

Hey Darren,

Thanks for leaving a comment as usual. Ray's visit was pretty cool. Yes looks like my three months is being extended by the weather. I had never planned on staying past the end of September, but the weather changed my plans. I guess that's what happens when you are an agrarian? So I rescheduled my flight for October 16th when Nicholas and Colleen got their first grape contract. Now I'm just hoping that the weather doesn't push me back further. As it is I will only have two weeks at home in South Carolina to enjoy the fall before Leslie and I fly off to New Zealand for a month to visit our oldest daughter who lives there.

Regards,
Gary

Gary Harbour
Chez Nos Coeurs
Savigny les Beaune

(in reply to SkeBum)
Post #: 9
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 15 - Another Brick in ... - 9/20/2013 1:48:19 AM   
gharbour

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinSunnyside

Good stuff Gary, I'll be interested to see these barrel runners assembled and holding barrels.  Most of the places here I've seen using steel barrel racks, typically holding two barrels that can be stacked and moved via fork truck.

Hi Chris,

Yes these are the traditional and typical barrel runners here in Burgundy. They use to be made of wood. Then people started making them of concrete and rebar. I had wooden runners in my cave when I bought it but they were full of insect holes and almost dust. So I see why concrete, but good golly they are heavy. The large ones are 1.55m long and you stack 2 barrels on the rail and 2 barrels for every layer you go up (0.5, 1, 0.5 getting the 0.5's only if there is an adjacent runner). Nicholas and Colleen's two barrel caves will hold 3.5 runners on each side and 2 runners across the back with two layers of barrels, for a total 66 barrels (33 in each barrel cave). With 18 months of élevage (barrel aging) that will limit their micro Maison to about 33 barrels per year. This year they hope to do about 15 barrels if the right additional vineyards are secured. The vaulted cave for bottle storage, although it is fairly large (and quite nice for a tastings I must add) may be more of a bottle neck for them. They'll need to fill bottles and ship out most of it pretty quickly. So they currently plan to have tradition steel bottle racks that hold 3 or 4 bottle deep. You'll want to see these when they are put in as they are quite different than what is used in the US.

Best,
Gary

Gary Harbour
Chez Nos Coeurs
Savigny les Beaune

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 10
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 15 - Another Brick in ... - 9/20/2013 1:51:43 AM   
gharbour

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

Always look forward to reading (and seeing) the next installment. Very exciting stuff.

musedir

Hi Tom,

I'm glad you are enjoying reading the blog. I get my enjoyment for writing it out of your comments! Thanks for your continued interest in the saga.

Take care,
Gary

Gary Harbour
Chez Nos Coeurs
Savigny les Beaune

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 11
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 15 - Another Brick in ... - 9/20/2013 5:34:41 AM   
S1

quote:

maybe the best thread on the forum EVER
except the pjaines thread several years ago about mum's Christmas gift to him
https://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=179844&mpage=1&key=santa%2Csucks

< Message edited by S1 -- 9/20/2013 6:09:59 AM >

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to Yossarian)
Post #: 12
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 15 - Another Brick in ... - 9/20/2013 7:04:21 AM   
Old Doug

Gary, those concrete blocks look heavy, having three cells (holes) per side, rather than two. Also - I searched for European block dimensions and could not find the answer - how big are they? Looks to me like larger than the 8" x 8" x 16" ones in the US. Not sure, but it strikes me that they are more than twice as long as they are wide...

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 13
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 15 - Another Brick in ... - 9/20/2013 7:31:05 AM   
SkeBum

quote:

ORIGINAL: gharbour

quote:

quote:

Hey Darren,

Thanks for leaving a comment as usual. Ray's visit was pretty cool. Yes looks like my three months is being extended by the weather. I had never planned on staying past the end of September, but the weather changed my plans. I guess that's what happens when you are an agrarian? So I rescheduled my flight for October 16th when Nicholas and Colleen got their first grape contract. Now I'm just hoping that the weather doesn't push me back further. As it is I will only have two weeks at home in South Carolina to enjoy the fall before Leslie and I fly off to New Zealand for a month to visit our oldest daughter who lives there.

Regards,
Gary

Gary,

Fall in the Carolina's is the best time of the year IMHO. You are going to hit wine country in New Zealand also correct?
Any more word on more grape contracts coming through?

Keeping my fingers crossed for good weather for you, the Sierras are supposed to get their first dusting of snow up high this weekend, getting cold in a hurry out here.

Darren

(in reply to gharbour)
Post #: 14
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 15 - Another Brick in ... - 9/20/2013 9:37:49 AM   
recotte

Gary,

I'll chime in to add my appreciation for your taking the time to write your posts and add the pictures. The pictures are priceless!

I may have missed this in an update, but did the electricity situation get squared away yet?

Cheers,

Eric

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to SkeBum)
Post #: 15
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 15 - Another Brick in ... - 9/20/2013 10:59:18 AM   
gharbour

quote:

ORIGINAL: Old Doug

Gary, those concrete blocks look heavy, having three cells (holes) per side, rather than two. Also - I searched for European block dimensions and could not find the answer - how big are they? Looks to me like larger than the 8" x 8" x 16" ones in the US. Not sure, but it strikes me that they are more than twice as long as they are wide...

Hi Doug,

I have to tell you these French block are merde (excuse my French). The size is 20x20x50cm (8x8x20"). The reason I hate them is two fold. First they come with a layer of block material at the bottom of every hole that has to be broken out by hand with a sledge and chisel. It's a lot of extra work, that I never had to do with American block, and more than a few have broken as we cleaned them up. But if you don't do it you can't pour concrete down the holes. Second they have super thin side walls (less than 1") so it's almost impossible to get much mortar between them. They are heavy (because they have so many small holes) and lifting them over the rebar you really feel them after a few courses. Just 5 more course to go!

Best,
Gary

Gary Harbour
Chez Nos Coeurs
Savigny les Beaune

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 16
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 15 - Another Brick in ... - 9/20/2013 11:10:09 AM   
gharbour

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1

quote:

maybe the best thread on the forum EVER
except the pjaines thread several years ago about mum's Christmas gift to him
https://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=179844&mpage=1&key=santa%2Csucks

Hey Scott,

Thanks for following along this summer. I think we're ready for vendange so we can get past the prep phase on to the real action! I know you volunteered to come and help. It's going to be fun.

Santé
Gary

Gary Harbour
Chez Nos Coeurs
Savigny les Beaune

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 17
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 15 - Another Brick in ... - 9/20/2013 11:29:57 AM   
gharbour

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

Gary,

I'll chime in to add my appreciation for your taking the time to write your posts and add the pictures. The pictures are priceless!

I may have missed this in an update, but did the electricity situation get squared away yet?

Cheers,

Eric

Hey Eric,

Glad you like the photo's. It has cost me one camera already. I had it in my pocket and had the screen turned out and smashed it with a brick. Oh well. I ordered a new screen from Taiwan. We'll see if I can save it when it gets here.

The electricity has not been resolved yet. The electric company is scheduled to do their 4th study on Sept 26th. The last time they came they had all the documents from the first study for the previous owner of the Maison (power box on the street about 10 meters away and only monophase power). They seem to have lost the other two studies they did where Nicholas asked for 3 phase power at the Cuverie. Thankfully the harvest is late (well thankfully from an electricity stand point). Nicholas started this process with them in May. Probably the most frustrating issue so far. Thankfully the electrician has given us his generator in the meantime.

Cheers,
Gary

Gary Harbour
Chez Nos Coeurs
Savigny les Beaune

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 18
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 15 - Another Brick in ... - 9/20/2013 11:44:46 AM   
gharbour

quote:

Gary,

Fall in the Carolina's is the best time of the year IMHO. You are going to hit wine country in New Zealand also correct?

Keeping my fingers crossed for good weather for you, the Sierras are supposed to get their first dusting of snow up high this weekend, getting cold in a hurry out here.

Darren

Hi Darren,

I couldn't agree more on the Carolina's in the fall. Although a dusting of snow on the Sierras always made me tingle for skiing! Nicholas and Colleen got offered a new contract today, but not what their are looking for. They remain confident in waiting for the right grapes. This afternoon the sun came out and should be nice now for the better part of a week. People here are getting antsy about picking with the concern about mildew and odium. The return of sun, warmth, and wind will help a lot.

Thank for the good wishes,
Gary

Gary Harbour
Chez Nos Coeurs
Savigny les Beaune

(in reply to SkeBum)
Post #: 19
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 15 - Another Brick in ... - 9/20/2013 11:52:47 AM   
cookiefiend

Gary,

I'm just chiming in with everyone else in how much I enjoy reading your posts!

And to find out if anyone else is saying in their heads (due to the title of this particular thread):

"If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding.
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?"

Dawn

'After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.'
Aldous Huxley

(in reply to gharbour)
Post #: 20
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 15 - Another Brick in ... - 9/20/2013 12:29:01 PM   
recotte

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

Gary,

Cheers,

Eric

Hey Eric,

Glad you like the photo's. It has cost me one camera already. I had it in my pocket and had the screen turned out and smashed it with a brick. Oh well. I ordered a new screen from Taiwan. We'll see if I can save it when it gets here.

The electricity has not been resolved yet. The electric company is scheduled to do their 4th study on Sept 26th. The last time they came they had all the documents from the first study for the previous owner of the Maison (power box on the street about 10 meters away and only monophase power). They seem to have lost the other two studies they did where Nicholas asked for 3 phase power at the Cuverie. Thankfully the harvest is late (well thankfully from an electricity stand point). Nicholas started this process with them in May. Probably the most frustrating issue so far. Thankfully the electrician has given us his generator in the meantime.

Cheers,
Gary

That screen took one for the team (or something like that).

In retrospect, what would have been really cool would have been to mount a few GoPros around to capture timelapses of the progress. I'll definitely do that when I renovate a winery in Burgundy.

Good luck with its replacement, as well as getting power. I suppose the breathing room it gives is the silver lining for the late harvest.

On a separate note, you've gotta be up for a Dad of the Year award for the sweat equity you've put into your son's project!

Cheers,

Eric

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to gharbour)
Post #: 21
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 15 - Another Brick in ... - 9/20/2013 1:10:05 PM   
Old Doug

quote:

lifting them over the rebar you really feel them after a few courses. Just 5 more course to go!

Gary, I saw that rebar there.

(in reply to gharbour)
Post #: 22
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 15 - Another Brick in ... - 9/20/2013 11:46:47 PM   
gharbour

quote:

ORIGINAL: cookiefiend

Gary,

I'm just chiming in with everyone else in how much I enjoy reading your posts!

And to find out if anyone else is saying in their heads (due to the title of this particular thread):

"If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding.
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?"

Hey Dawn,

I'm defiantly a huge fan (it wasn't unintentional for sure) and find music helps make the day a little more enjoyable. Glad you're following along.

Gary

Gary Harbour
Chez Nos Coeurs
Savigny les Beaune

(in reply to cookiefiend)
Post #: 23
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 15 - Another Brick in ... - 9/21/2013 11:20:01 AM   
gharbour

quote:

quote:

Gary,

Darren

Hi Darren,

I couldn't agree more on the Carolina's in the fall. Although a dusting of snow on the Sierras always made me tingle for skiing! Nicholas and Colleen got offered a new contract today, but not what their are looking for. They remain confident in waiting for the right grapes. This afternoon the sun came out and should be nice now for the better part of a week. People here are getting antsy about picking with the concern about mildew and odium. The return of sun, warmth, and wind will help a lot.

Thank for the good wishes,
Gary

Hi Darren,

I realized I didn't answer your question on visiting the wine regions in New Zealand. Since we have a daughter who lives there we go just about every year (4 times now). We have had wine tours of all the major wine regions at least once including, Waiheke Island, Hawkes Bay, Wellington, Marlbourough, Canterbury, and Central Otago. I must say our favorite wineries are at the extremes of the list. In Waiheke we love(d) Goldwater Estates (which is gone now as the family donated their vineyards and cuverie to the wine school at the University of Auckland) and Man O' War, which has unbelievable vineyards. They both have (had) great Syrahs. I still have a few bottles of Goldwater Estates Syrah squirreled away. At the other extreme you have Central Otago. Two special wineries; Felton Road and all the way out in Wanaka you have Rippon (the most beautiful vineyard in the whole world for sure). Both Felton Road and Rippon have ties to the wine school in Beaune where Nicholas and Colleen went. In fact last Christmas we took Nicholas and Colleen (along with the rest of the family) on a wine tour of New Zealand and they brought a bottle of wine from a classmate's Domian (Julian) who had done an intern at Rippon back there. The owner of Rippon also attended the wine school in Beaune (of course you have the Pinot Noir connection between Burgundy and Central Otago). Felton Road's wine maker also went to the Beaune Wine school and they have one of the best designed wineries I have ever seen along with great wines. If you get the chance this is an amazing trip to make.

Best,
Gary

Gary Harbour
Chez Nos Coeurs
Savigny les Beaune

(in reply to gharbour)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Summer Adventure in Burgundy 15 - Another Brick in the Wall Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI