CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Summer Adventure in Burgundy 20 - Bonus Post Pressing the Reds

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Summer Adventure in Burgundy 20 - Bonus Post Pressing the Reds Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Summer Adventure in Burgundy 20 - Bonus Post Pressing t... - 10/25/2013 8:52:02 AM   
gharbour

This series of posts is the continuing saga of a father helping his son (Nicholas) and daughter-in-law (Colleen) realize their dream of starting a winery (www.MaisonHarbour.com) in Burgundy, France. If you didn’t catch my earlier posts please find links to the old posts at the end of this post.

If you're like me there was one thing I missed seeing and that was the pressing of the reds and using the antique basket press I restored over the summer. So I was happy when Nicholas and Colleen Skyped me from their phone to video me into the first press. Below I share a few photos from the pressing of the reds which happened over the last couple of days.

First the free run wine was pumped from the fermenters to an assemblage (blending) tank.

Setting up the press for Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Combe Au Moine. Nicholas and Colleen used the lift to put the ratchet on the screw.

Loading the Combe Au Moine into the press from inside the cuve en bois (oak fermenter).

Placing the platen.

Pressing the grapes. Gevrey-Chambertin La Justice first photo and Combe Au Moine second photo.

Checking the quality of the press wine during the press.

Removing the cake.

Now the free run and press wine will assemblage (blend) and settle for a few days before soutirage (racking) into barrels in the barrel cave to age next to the Chassagne-Montrachet whites. The whites are getting close to finishing their low-temperature primary alcoholic fermentations. Sometime this winter or spring all four wines will go through their secondary malolactic fermentations. Then this spring Nicholas and Colleen should know the wines well enough to offer "En Primeur". You can follow along at Maison Harbour.

A Bientôt
Gary

Week 1 - The Story Begins
Week 2 - Departure
Week 3 - Work Begins
Week 4 - Shopping for Equipment
Week 5 - The Douane
Week 6 - Beautiful Premier Cru Grapes
Week 6.1 Savigny En Tous Sens
Week 7 - Disaster Strikes
Week 8 - Starting Again
Week 9 - Vacation Time in France
Week 10 - Vacation Ends and Work Resumes
Week 11 - New Floor Concrete Pour
Week 12 - Summer Adventure in Burgundy 12 - Cave Repairs and Soutirage
Week 13 - Power Outage
Week 14 - Gevrey Chambertin
Week 15 - Another Brick in the Wall
Week 16 - Les Vendanges Approches
Week 17 - Big News with the Vendange
Week 18 - La Vendange est Terminée
Week 19 - Combe Au Moine - Back in the USA

Gary Harbour
Chez Nos Coeurs
Savigny les Beaune
Post #: 1
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 20 - Bonus Post Pressi... - 10/25/2013 9:35:23 AM   
f22nickell

Wow, looks they are still having a blast! Glad to hear they are keeping you in the loop. Must have been tough to leave during the middle of it all.

“ Go, eat your food with gladness, and drink your wine with a joyful heart, for it is now that God favors what you do. ”
— Ecclesiastes 9:7

F22nickell on CT ...
S_Nickell on WB ...

(in reply to gharbour)
Post #: 2
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 20 - Bonus Post Pressi... - 10/25/2013 9:40:28 AM   
mtpisgah

How many pressing sessions do they have to do for each barrel of juice?

Paul

I read books to pass the time until the next bottle of wine.

(in reply to gharbour)
Post #: 3
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 20 - Bonus Post Pressi... - 10/25/2013 10:20:04 AM   
recotte

Fun to see the pressing. Thanks, Gary!

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to mtpisgah)
Post #: 4
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 20 - Bonus Post Pressi... - 10/25/2013 11:47:57 AM   
musedir

This a thread that keeps on giving. Thanks Gary.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 5
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 20 - Bonus Post Pressi... - 10/25/2013 1:16:16 PM   
GalvezGuy

Thanks again. It is good to see the smiles that result from months of hard work.

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 6
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 20 - Bonus Post Pressi... - 10/25/2013 1:26:04 PM   
gharbour

quote:

ORIGINAL: f22nickell

Wow, looks they are still having a blast! Glad to hear they are keeping you in the loop. Must have been tough to leave during the middle of it all.

Scott to tell the truth, I was ready to come home. However, you are are right that I am really happy they have kept me up on happenings so I still feel involved.

Thanks for the comments,
Gary

Gary Harbour
Chez Nos Coeurs
Savigny les Beaune

(in reply to f22nickell)
Post #: 7
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 20 - Bonus Post Pressi... - 10/25/2013 1:34:20 PM   
gharbour

quote:

ORIGINAL: mtpisgah

How many pressing sessions do they have to do for each barrel of juice?

Paul,

There was one pressing for the Gevrey-Chambertin Combe Au Moine which gave 1.5 barrels and two pressings for Gevrey-Chambertin La Justice which gave 4 barrels. The Combe Au Moine will be put into three barrels, one full size 225L and two quarter barrels 56L. The quarter barrels can be seen in the first photo of this post on either side of cuverie entrance. They are the barrels Nicholas and Colleen made their two red wines in last year. They are in the process of being cleaned and sanitized in this photo.

That should be about 400 bottles of Combe Au Moine and 1000 bottles of La Justice.

Best Regards,
Gary

Gary Harbour
Chez Nos Coeurs
Savigny les Beaune

(in reply to mtpisgah)
Post #: 8
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 20 - Bonus Post Pressi... - 10/25/2013 1:35:29 PM   
gharbour

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

Fun to see the pressing. Thanks, Gary!

You bet Eric. I knew there were a few folks out there that would appreciate seeing this step. Best, Gary

Gary Harbour
Chez Nos Coeurs
Savigny les Beaune

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 9
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 20 - Bonus Post Pressi... - 10/25/2013 1:38:00 PM   
gharbour

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

This a thread that keeps on giving. Thanks Gary.

quote:

musedir

Hi Tom,

I'll probably try and drop a couple of photos of putting the reds into barrels. But, then we'll let it sleep awhile till, probably till the malos kick off.

Thanks for following along,
Gary

Gary Harbour
Chez Nos Coeurs
Savigny les Beaune

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 10
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 20 - Bonus Post Pressi... - 10/25/2013 1:40:19 PM   
gharbour

quote:

ORIGINAL: GalvezGuy

Thanks again. It is good to see the smiles that result from months of hard work.

quote:

GalvezGuy

DK,

Thank you. I'm happy to see the smiles too. I think Nicholas and Colleen feel pretty good about their carrier change, even though it was very hard work and stressful.

Best Regards,
Gary

Gary Harbour
Chez Nos Coeurs
Savigny les Beaune

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 11
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 20 - Bonus Post Pressi... - 10/25/2013 1:48:34 PM   
SkeBum

Most excellent a bonus post, I'm glad you made it an even 20 threads, nice to see they are making use of the press.

(in reply to gharbour)
Post #: 12
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 20 - Bonus Post Pressi... - 10/25/2013 9:17:22 PM   
champagneinhand

A much better press than the twisting type that I have. Nice cake!

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to SkeBum)
Post #: 13
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 20 - Bonus Post Pressi... - 10/26/2013 4:29:56 AM   
khmark7

Silly me dumped my press cake of Merlot pulp and seeds into my garden.....so next year I will have a billion ungrafted Merlot (or some FrankenMerlot) growing from my garden! Doh!!

The above pics make pressing wine look fun. It IS messy....which I found out quick enough.

Good to see everything moving along nicely!!

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 14
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 20 - Bonus Post Pressi... - 12/12/2013 6:55:33 AM   
recotte

Am I the only one missing these weekly updates from the summer?

Gary, wherever you are, thanks for taking us along for the ride!

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 15
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 20 - Bonus Post Pressi... - 12/12/2013 9:06:22 AM   
Old Doug

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

Am I the only one missing these weekly updates from the summer?

Yeah, sigh.... A reminder of just how fast time can go.

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 16
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 20 - Bonus Post Pressi... - 12/12/2013 11:38:14 AM   
JerryL

This was such a tease! I saw the thread and got excited that there was an update.

I do miss it too.

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 17
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 20 - Bonus Post Pressi... - 12/12/2013 11:57:53 AM   
leothegecko

I had the same reaction. For a brief minute I was excited to be able to read one more. I think I'll have to go back and read from the beginning, as I think I skimmed over a few of the early ones.

(in reply to JerryL)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Summer Adventure in Burgundy 20 - Bonus Post Pressing the Reds Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI