2009 Rhys Syrah Skyline Vineyard

Community Tasting Notes

• Closed. I would not buy Rhys syrahs with under 10 years of age in the future...

• Not bad, just very closed. A little more open the second day. I was very excited to try this so was disappointed. I'll wait a few years to try the 2010.

• A curious wine for the 3 of us who tasted. A beautiful wine that evolved, advanced, regressed, exhibited by tannins, then fruit, then tannins, etc. it was impossible to predict one taste after another. Most times, the aromas were of red fruits, mostly bitter cherry. We tasted over 2 days. The color was red with few syrah characteristics both on the nose and palate. We wanted to like it and we did, but not as a syrah. We opened a 2007 Bedrock Kick Ranch to compare. This needs more time. Lots of dark fruit and classic Syrah road tar, as well as a bit of Brett that blew off. Sweeter than the Rhys and more alcohol. This was coming around as the hours passes, but never shone. Finally, an evidently poorly stored 2003 Guigal brune et blonde, which should be singing and did a few years ago from a different lot. Instead, with this one, the prunes and raisins were giggling within 12 hours.

• Syrah comes in several forms. In tonight's form, when I went to the cellar, I wanted something that was on the savory side, lower alc, cool climate, and I was apprehensive to some degree when I saw some of the other notes in CT. For sure, when the wine was first opened, it was kind of lean, bland. This needed 2 hours of air to add some flesh, and with the 2nd glass tonight, that air helps to give it some intensity. There is some olive here, some game, sour cherry/blueberry and savory. These markers can turn off some syrah drinkers, depending on what end of the spectrum one finds their syrah palate. Those flavors are here and even in the finish, solid acidity and some chalk. So, from the standpoint of open and pour, this is not recommended...with the added day of air, this really reminds me a lot of the Wind Gap syrahs, all of the savory, saline and red fruits in a medium weight package. This is distinctive in style and it's going to miss the mark with some and I suspect there will be a camp that truly dislikes this wine, yet for me it's sincere, cool climate, cluster driven syrah. As to a drink window, hmmm. As much as I like acid and structure, with air this to me drinks well and really loosened up so I don't see any reason against enjoying now, although I do think the wine can sit another 3-4 years and be just fine.

• Similar to notes below, I didn't get much from this wine. It's possible it will blossom into something special, but I don't detect much stuffing there.

• Nice cool climate syrah with nice balance and acidity. Drinking well at present

• This wine is obviously not in a good spot right now. Very muffled. Decanted for 3 hours and then drank over 2 it was just not great fabulous that I hear about. The last hour it smoothed out and really came on and maybe showed that it was worthy of all the accolades. Let this rest at least 5 - 10 more years.

• This wine was tried w several other syrah's fom around the world. It wasn't bad, but was truly subpar. Really missing the fruit to warrant a 90 pt score, especially in the mid palate.

• Popped and poured, although perhaps I should have decanted. I quite like this wine. The nose shows a lot of tannin and dark fruit. However, on the tongue it is actually fairly smooth. There is dark fruit, but also quite a bit of fresh cherry on the finish. Some bramble, no doubt from the whole clusters. Will be interested to see how my other bottle evolves.

• Tasted at the Rhys pickup. Black fruit and smoke on the nose, some anise; powerful and tannic palate (thought the tannins are quite fine), yet still has an elegance and charm to it, this is very primary today, and in my opinion will likely require a few years to even be approachable.

• Tasted blind. Inky black purple. Very pretty purple aromatics of lilac, lavender and violet along with cinnamon stick, sandstone minerality and cherry pit. Stout tannin, decent acidity and a lovely bitter cocoa texture. Intense and persistent with low alcohol. The whole cluster aspect to this wine is beautiful and integrated. This wine is strikingly accessible yet displays complexity and finesse without being overbearing. Decant and savor.