1. Naplesgolfer

Naplesgolfer

2. BSA

BSA

• TN: Rhone dinner (The Grill Room at Capella Hotel Georgetown): A bit of controversy as it is the second wine that I think to be corked where a couple tasters enjoy immensely and have strong conviction it is not corked. Two wait staff, one a former sommelier, also think it is not corked. It is a very polished La Turque with beautiful balance. May be someone else can chime in.

• Having had both the 04 and 02 lately, this wine hit nearly all the buttons to me. Previous CT notes seem pretty accurate to me. Loved it. Wine was poured during a long dinner. Think it would have scored even higher if tasting had been a bit more in focus, as it has so much to offer. 96-97?

• During a wine diner. Dark blackish crimson. Expressive nose of black olives, game, dark fruit, fennel, some chocolate and licorice, enormous complexity. On the palate this is very well balanced combining the more structured Cote Brune and the racy Cote Blonde leading to a great mid mouth feel and finish. No matter how many times you come back to the glass this wine surprises you with another aroma or sensation. A fantastic Cote Rotie, (the whopping CT tasting note average of 97.7 after 26 reviews says everything). Ready now.

• I was poured this wine totally blind after a flight of Barbaresco so I had no idea what was being put in my glass... certainly didn't expect it to be the 11th highest rated wine all time by the cellartracker community. My note, written entirely before the reveal: Quite intense aroma, showing heavy candied spice notes. I also get a slight bit of bacterial note (brett?) but not in a bad or overpowering way. The wine smells mature but not old. The palate is soft and beguiling. Wonderful texture. Fairly light on the palate, but incredibly smooth with notes of spice and earth. Quite lovely and elegant. Spice and heft on the finish, with nice lovely acidity. Nice tartness and beautiful lingering fruit and acidity. I'd say drinking in a beautiful spot. I was shocked when the bottle was pulled out for several reasons... While I did expect it to be a Côte-Rôtie, I expected it to be about 10 years older. Also I actually look at the CellarTracker top 100 a few times a year and I knew that this wine was pretty damn near the top. For me, this was drinking around 94 points. I had one sip remaining after the reveal to really focus fuller on it and came up with the same assessment. A lovely wine, but I guess I'd have expected more. This bottle was opened about 16 hours prior to my pour (the previous night), so I'll refrain from a formal score.

• double-decanted, slow-ox one hour, served blind, followed over 3 hours before the reveal. (served w/'00 La Turque, '99 & '00 La Mouline)

crimson-black w/no paling at edge; most reluctant at first, becoming powerfully black-fruited, cocoa powder, roasted spices & peppercorn, mineral, wildflowers, wild bloody gamey notes, super complex after two hours; med-full & powerful; so concentrated, essence of ripe blackberry, currant liqueur, smoked meats, cracked pepper, superb balance, long & intense. showed the most evocative aromatic & palate evolution over the course of the evening (taken in context!), pretty good potential for this one.

turkey & wild mushroom Cornish "pasties"

coriander- & juniper-rubbed wild venison loin w/syrah-blk. pepper reduction; roasted turnips & their greens; brown-butter pears, roquefort & walnuts

JancisRobinson.com

RJonWine.com

• By Richard Jennings
    7/5/2013, (See more on RJonWine.com...) 93 points

(E. Guigal Côte-Rôtie La Turque) Dark red violet color; roasted black fruit, black cherry, berry nose; delicious, tart berry, dried berry, violets, tart black fruit palate; medium-plus finish 93+ points

NOTE: Some content is property of JancisRobinson.com and Vinous and RJonWine.com.