1. bluedog

2. SpoochMan

SpoochMan

3. flussier

flussier

• From magnum, amazing with smoked brisket!

• I'll go with the crowd on this one. More claret-like than the Turley's and Carlisles I usually drink. But very smooth, mellow and balanced. Good weeknight drinking.

• This is my kind of zin, maybe not as bombastic as some of the Turley's but poised, balanced, and with abv under 15%. Good match to pasta with meat sauce.

• A little funky at first from a PNP, evolved nicely in the glass showing ripe black & blue fruit, rich and concentrated with hints of chocolate and spice, tannins are fully integrated but there is a enough acidity to carry this LS for several more years. No perceivable heat detected from this bottle!

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comment

• I guess it has only been three years, but I am surprised how consistent my impressions of this wine are, especially given that I had no recollection of the note I wrote back in 2012 until I looked at it here.

At the time I wrote: This is very good for what it is. Heady nose with spice, bramble, and loads of dark fruit on the palate. Impressive, but I think this will convince me that I no longer really enjoy American Zin. This wan't jammy at all and the tannins are integrating nicely, but it was still tiring to drink. These days, I'm happier with a bottle of Fatalone Gioia delle Colle primitivo than I am with this.

I'd probably self edit the comment on U.S. Zin this time around, but not because my tastes have changed any. I found this surprisingly soft, lacking in tannin, and pretty hot. I have nothing but respect for Ridge, but tiring to drink is still the way I would describe this. Maybe I just don't understand Zin's aging curve, but I can't see holding on to my last bottle for very long.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comment

The Rhone Report

• By Josh Raynolds
    November/December 2011, IWC Issue #159, (See more on Vinous...)

(Ridge Vineyards Zinfandel Lytton Springs Dry Creek Valley) Subscribe to see review text.
  • By Antonio Galloni
    Exploring California's Central Coast (Aug 2011), (See more on Vinous...)

(Ridge Lytton Springs Dry Creek Valley) Subscribe to see review text.

RJonWine.com

• By Richard Jennings
    5/19/2012, (See more on RJonWine.com...) 90 points

(Ridge Lytton Springs) Dark red violet color; light raspberry, ripe currant, black currant nose; tasty, youthful, tart black currant, loam palate with medium acidity; needs 4-plus years; medium-plus finish (71% Zinfandel, 23% Petite Sirah, 6% Carignane; 14.5% alcohol)

NOTE: Some content is property of The Rhone Report and Vinous and RJonWine.com.