• Classic old school vino from LDH that was amazingly fresh, vibrant and sensual. Great old cigar, leather, dried cherry, hint of vanilla sweetness and a long finish. Elegant, refined, lighter after 30 years than brasher initial Rioja Reserva wine.

• So, my mum (I think you guys call it a mom in America) bought me back a few botts that are hard to find in Oz recently. I sent her into Woodland Hills wines (strong affiliation, they are sending me 50 bucks for every bottle they sell to thank me for talking up this wine) to collect the 1985 Lopez de Heredia Vina Tondonia Gran Reserva, a glorious bottle which we duly drank last night. I’m assuming it was a recent museum release as the wine was in terrific nick. Gorgeous aromatics that remind one of perfectly aged Cote de Nuits (think freshly tilled earth, decaying leaf, pine needle sap, hoisin and Indian spices). In the mouth it is bright and energetic, only a modest 12% alcohol but also rich and with good density. There’s a nice line of minerally acidity and it possesses a fine silky texture. Any of you west coast Burg lovers would be mad not to get into Woodland Hills today and clean them out of the remaining botts of this beauty.

• By Stephen Tanzer
    November/December 1999, IWC Issue #87, (See more on Vinous...)

(R. Lopez de Heredia Vina Tondonia Reserva) Subscribe to see review text.