• The Eleventh Annual Stonefields Dinner (Guelph, ON, Canada): Dear me....this was amazing!
    From magnum. medium to deep gold in colour
    The nose was unreal....such power and weight. Flavours of honey, nutmeg, lemon, pineapple, peach, minerals, subtle botrytis notes and white florals. So powerful, complex and integrated.
    The palate was equally inspiring showing notes of lemon rind, clove, nutmeg, lime, minerals, and pure tropical fruit balanced with such beautiful acid. Wow.
    The finish was monumental...such length, complexity and power. Just a stunner.

• Once in Lifetime...: From magnum, decanted approximately 20 minutes prior to service, straw colour in the glass. Exuding from the glass are some prominent ripe fruit notes of pineapple, stone fruit, as well as lemon curd, crushed rocks, florals and a light herbal note. The palate is very rich and concentrated, showing a volumptious mouthfeel, but no sense of flabbiness, with a strong streak of acid that accentuates the long citrus, tropical fruit, herb and mineral laden finish that lingers in the mouth. At 17 years of age, this is still drinking very youthfully from magnum, with plenty of life left to go. Absolutely gorgeous.

• La Paulee Gala (New York, NY): Tough to fully assess. Sensational ripe fruit aromas that are incredibly powerful and spice-driven. At the same time, aromas came across somewhat more mature than I expected. Palate was less advanced, in fact still on the ascent with great, slightly tight stone fruit flavors. Long and powerful finish.

• My second time with this wine and it was formerly the greatest white wine I have ever had. Usually this situation leads to a letdown. Well not this time.
    A gigantic nose of honey, flowers, fresh cream butter, again a lung filling nose. Almost viscous if a nose could be so. On the palate, this had brilliant acidity perfectly balanced with enormous texture. Cashews, toffee, tropical fruits, and roses. Simultaneously tremendously dense yet weightless. There is a purity in the nose and palate that I almost never get except in Riesling, but with just more of everything. This is poised opulence in a glass. Here is a ton of minerality and acid hid beneath hyperbole, hyperbole, hyperbole of texture and fruit. An unending finish. A wine to make a grown man cry (and I almost did). Still the greatest white wine I have had by a mile. 100pts.

As an aside, I made the mistake of drinking my glass of the ’95 two years ago over 30 minutes instead of 6 hours, a mistake I did not make this evening. I finished my night with this wine, along with following its progression over the evening. It was better at closing time than at first.

• Well what can I say on this one? Can I just put the dictionary descriptions of all things good in here. The color is a beautiful golden that I could just look at for an hour. The nose was transcendent. Beautiful citrus notes, hazelnuts, butterscotch, tropical fruits, the fruit was almost crystallized essence of fruits, pure and rich and in perfect balance. I could not imagine a nose getting any better in a white wine.
    If the nose was amazing, well hold on to your seats. The mouthfeel, and I mean mouthfeel- the whole mouth was like sucking on liquid crystalized fruit and minerals. Butterscotch, hazelnuts, tropical fruits of pineapple, , some butteriness, candied mandarin oranges. It was like licking the most delicious candied wet stones. Utterly complex and weightless. HH said it was like drinking air. This was ethereal.
    I thought the nose could not get any better, but JF had the foresight to hold onto his for a couple of hours longer than I. The nose, if it is imaginable, took a quantum leap up in depth and comlexity. A paradigm shift in white wines for me. For sure the greatest white wine I have ever had. 100 pts.

• By Antonio Galloni
    Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Montrachet 1988-2004 (Sep 2014), 9/15/2014, (See more on Vinous...)

(Domaine De La Romanée-conti Montrachet Grand Cru) Subscribe to see review text.

View From the Cellar

JancisRobinson.com

Burghound

Vintage Tastings

• By John Kapon
    DRC Weekend, 7/6/2009 95 points

(DRC Montrachet) The 1995 DRC Montrachet was much more honeyed and forward, with Mark noting its ‘butter.’ I could not get past its honey; it was pure honey in the nose. The palate was much richer, also woodsy, but fat, long and edgy. There were great minerals on its finish, and ‘a lot of botrytis’ per Bipin. It was exotic, like a freak show or Frankenstein, take your pick. Rich, buttery and kinky, the 1995 reminded Mark of 2005, which he found a step behind this wild and crazy 1995. While the 1995 wasn’t exactly classical, it was definitely jazzy with a lot of bass. The ’95 and ’96 were two totally different wines

NOTE: Some content is property of Vinous and View From the Cellar and JancisRobinson.com and Burghound and Vintage Tastings.