Community Tasting Notes (8) Median Score: 92 points

• Probably over the peak.

• Lovely pure mushroom notes with great acidity, wet earth, a touch of sweet tobacco underneath; elegant silky medium body with a spicy long finish. Probably the wine of the night. Stunning and great length. 70% CS.

• Tasted blind. The color of this wine was a very dark blackish-purple. By far the darkest color of the wines we were tasting this evening. The nose had some spicy aromas along with leather and mushroom. The main note on the palate was a very spicy poblano pepper note. This wine had a nice mouthfeel and good length finish. When we began to guess what the wine was, I was certainly not thinking of a First Growth Bordeaux. The spicy notes on the palate led me to believe that this would probably be about a 10 year old Cayuse Cailloux Syrah... Wow, was I surprised when this was revealed. Another birth year wine for me, and while I can appreciate that this may not be what you would expect to taste from a 40 year old First Growth, it was a very far cry from the 60 point rating that RMP gave this back in 1982, as well as far from being worthless aside from those that care about labels as he also described. I have no doubt that this will be one of the most memorable, lowest rated wines that I ever get to taste in my life. Just awesome!

• Aromatically - initially a bit rusty and wooly - after about an hour this passed to a much more pleasurable dried red fruit and dried hay aroma profile which was very much on the earthy side of the spectrum. The wine had the color of an aged pinot noir. The wine had a lean attack mid and long finish that to me was more reminicsent of a smooth aged Barolo. Over the course of the evening the wine put on tremendous weight and was blossoming 2.5 hours after opening. It is not a blockbuster in weight but a very elegant very very nice wine. 93+?

• I bought this wine, which is my birth year, because it was perfectly stored, and was still a neck fill. We were worried, given the reviews, but opened it on my 36th birthday. This thirty six year old bottle of wine is senescent, but not totally done. It had very delicate graphite, mature fruit, soft wood undertones, lead pencil, currant and slight vegetal tones. The finish was soft, but ephemeral. A pleasant surprise, and no sherry-oxidation noted.