1. fclarity

fclarity

• First of all a disclosure that I am not hugely into red Burgundy wines and my knowledge about the region is limited. DRC La Tache 89 was a very good wine, with nice acidity, good balance, black cherry is what I mostly got. It displayed some remarkable freshness given its age of 25 yrs, and was not showing any signs of falling apart any time soon. So I score this wine 92 point on that basis.

However, given the inflated price of this wine I must say that the 92 is absolutely taking price out of the equation. Personally, I have a long list of wines I prefer to drink that do not even cost 5% of what this bottle of DRC sets you back. So while I am happy to have had the privilege to taste a healthy amount (about 1/3 of a bottle) of this wine for the bucket list, I will spend my bucks elsewhere.

• There was a firm, hard, acidic quality to the fruit that took away from the wine. The fruit offered a nice cherry essence with fennel and dried herb notes. But there was far more tart than sweet sensations in the hard personality that left me wanting riper fruit. I am sure there are many people that will love this wine. But it did not work for me. Please note, this was served double blind. OK, I admit, I am not the biggest Burgundy fan on the planet, but for the record, the 1990 La Tache was stunning. This on the other hand was merely a good, but not close to great wine.

• La Tache dinner (The Boardl Room at Capella Hotel Georgetown): This was served along with the 88. A great privilege to taste them together. Two excellent wines with very different personalities. Expressive decadent nose displaying ripe black fruits, blackberries, blackberry jelly, also classic Vosne spices, soy, lovely dark flowers, black tea and mint. Fully integrated harmonious palate, lovely decadent black fruit driven palate impression, silky, nicely integrated tannins and lovely seamless finish that resonates. I preferred this to the 88 from the beginning where some tasters initially preferred the 88 and then this. This wine is drinking beautifully at the moment and a great surprise.

• Lovely mature Pinot nose, dried rose petals, more red than black fruit. Some acidity of good quality. A bit thin bodied and perhaps seen better times? Good wine but this bottle with good provenance and high fill was not spectacular.

• Very tired wine, color still red, not much browning, but only a glimpse now and then of what this wine might have been. Drink up.

Burghound

View From the Cellar

Burghound

Vintage Tastings

La Paulee 2012 - Second Coming, 5/20/2012 94 points

(DRC La Tache) 1989 DRC La Tache? Ok, why not. Any night where a bottle of La Tache is opened is officially special. Its nose was very perfumed and open, although there was some dirty underneath, one of the issues with ’89. The palate was much more expressive than the nose with its rich, meaty and earthy personality. Its finish was thick and showed me its peacock tail. Insert your own joke here (94).

RJonWine.com

• By Richard Jennings
    11/20/2009, (See more on RJonWine.com...) 94 points

(Domaine de la Romanée-Conti La Tâche) Bricked medium red color with pale meniscus; Asian spice, cigar box nose; tasty, cigar box, Asian spice, tobacco, tart plum palate; medium-plus finish

Vintage Tastings

DRC Weekend, 7/6/2009 94 points

(DRC La Tache) The 1989 DRC La Tache was a Bordeaux impersonator with its open, cassisy fruit and cedar, along with a pinch of pavement. There was nice flesh to its nose as well. The palate was rich and hearty with black fruits and flavors. Very musky, the ’89 was long and had excellent acidity, very 1996 in style with all that slate and acidity. It got a little dirtier in the glass
    A Week of Golden Cellar Drinking, 11/3/2007 93 points

(DRC La Tache) We moved upstairs for the after-party, day II. It was another silly display of generosity and great wine, beginning with a magnum of 1989 DRC La Tache. The LT was gamy and vitaminy in the nose, really gamy, and it reminded me of 1999 with the freshness of its fruit, but there was this bad keg flavor that marred the palate for me. There was still nice texture and length, perhaps it just needed to air out, but I had to keep it moving and keep up with the blistering pace of wines being opened
    La Paule Part Two, 4/2/2007 95J points

(DRC La Tache) Man, was it feeling heavy right about now. I slowly made my way up my table, hitting off all of my friends and anyone that stood in my way. The idea behind having this jero was to make my way around the room and share it with all the people I knew but couldn’t sit with. By the time I got back to my seat (about six seats up the table) and then about four seats further down, I couldn’t handle it anymore, so I traded it for a bottle of 1966 DRC Richebourg. Well, that was well planned and poorly executed. My duty to the pen and pad overtook everything else and my intended goodwill went to many less than anticipated. As far as those two wines, the La Tache was intense, spiny and vitaminy with a spectacular nose yet a smooth and seductive palate
    Petrus and La Tache, 12/9/2005 93 points

(La Tache) had a sexy nose - rich, sweet, oily, musky and full of dark black cherry and raspberry fruits and traces of red as well. The 1989 was consistent with my recent impression of the vintage experienced at the first Angry Man dinner of Year Two. Yes, the reports of our demise have been greatly exaggerated, but I haven't gotten to writing that one up yet. The wine was a bit spiny, 'square' Rudy interjected. I was talking about how this seemed to be the best, forgotten vintage of the last two decades, and Paul proceeded to slam it and praise 1988. 'I don't know how anyone could prefer 1989 over 1988,' he said as he called the 1989 'screechy.' I liked the 1989's spiny vigor, its citric tension and gritty style. There was solid acidity; perhaps the wine was a little less complex than the average La Tache and on the drier side, but there was plenty of potential left. Aubert commented how the 1989 was 'closed, but you can see the potential in the nose, but blocked as if it had a psychological problem'

NOTE: Some content is property of Burghound and View From the Cellar and Vintage Tastings and RJonWine.com.